330 gti

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linesiders

How do you know when these drag washers have had enough and are due for replacing? I rebuilt a 330 today, again Thanks to this site.  The washers look a little shot compared to new ones, but maybe they still are good?

alantani

just slap some cal's grease on them.  they're good for ever.  no kidding.  literally forever!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AlasKen

I have a Penn 330 GT and noticed that the spool tension control cap is missing.  This appears to be item 26B from the schematic.  I was going to order a set so smooth drags.  Are there other parts that likely fell out when the cap went missing?  Where is the best place to order a replacement?  I reviewed the tutorials I could find and it appears this cap is left in place on servicing the the bearing lubed from the inside.  Thanks in advance.  Ken

Bryan Young

MysticParts.com.

Likely you are missing the discs and spring in the cap if your cap is missing.

You can link at the reel schematics  at MysticParts.com.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ez2cdave

Alan,

Here is your FANTASTIC TUTORIAL in PDF format for EASY DOWNLOAD ! ! !

AlasKen

I used this tutorial and serviced my wife's 330 GTI in less than an hour.  It was pretty clean to start with and is about 6 years old, first service.  The drag washers appeared dry but in good shape.  I gave them a coating of Cal's drag grease and a new HT-100 washer under the main gear.  No trouble.  In reading the 320 GTI post there was discussion on a Teflon dot on the level wind pawl.  What is that and how do you know if you need it?  My level wind assembly seemed in good condition.  As mentioned this is my wife's reel and paired with a short rod for halibut.  Drag is probably set around 12 - 13 lbs most of the time.  Thanks for the great tutorials.  They make reel maintenance fun and relaxing.  Ken

exp2000

When it comes to drifting out parts and bearings I have found that PVC pipe fittings are very handy. Just rest the part ever the bore and tap with a soft faced hammer.

The RHS bearing in GT's are locked in the side plate by metal pinches. I grind these away before extraction.

The weakness in these reels is the drag stack. The washers are cheap and nasty and prone to rust. Then they chew out the whole stack so go heavy on the drag grease.

weather_man

Started working on my 330 today. It was part of a 80 dollar haul of 3 reels and 5 rods my son scored a week ago.

So the reel seems to be in fair condition. Unfortunately the handle screw is all chewed up, missing the retaining screw and somebody clipped the line guide, also missing the pawl and pawl cap screw.

Can I take the whole level wind on this particular reel and fish it like that? Or should I bite the bullet and order the parts? Not looking to hot rod any of my reels yet but u do want them to be in good working order.

One more question; what kind of fishing is the 330 gti usually used for? If I think I'll use it a lot I, I will feel better about ordering stuff for it. Thanks and here are some pics.

weather_man

Just noticed that I too am missing the spool tension cap. >:(

thorhammer

Just saw this. If it were mine i would put back to GWO as you say. You guys STOLE that haul :) so $20 of parts wont price things out. That will never be a shelf queen, so I would suggest making your parts list and posting it on here to see if anyone has any of them, then try used form flea bay if you can single source and avoid getting killed on shipping.

Good reels, I have several and the rest of the series. It is a good light trolling or bottom reel; I use them to pull leadcore line because the shock leader knots dont catch in the larger levelwind guide vs. 309. I think we looked at it a couple weeks ago and found it pretty castable.

Funky

Alan - I notice you state you remove and discard the tension spring (key #8)... do you not replace it with anything? Is a taller spacing sleeve required to make up for not using it?

The reel I am working on, though not shown in the schematic, has a second tension spring, which was situated between the spacing sleeve (key #9) and the first metal drag washer (key #7). This one seems more important to me than the first one. All I can see the first one does is keeps the handle from contacting the star drag. The second one seems it is necessary to keep tension on the drag stack.

Can you explain and give your opinion as to if I should leave both of them out?... Thanks

alantani

I started tossing them because they always corroded. Either way is fine.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Ill add a little to this.

The tension spring or metal washer you found on top of the last metal drag washer was put there by someone else. It was used to raise the spacer higher so the drag star wouldn't rub the sideplate of the reel when the star is tightened all the way down. Even if the drag star wasn't rubbing the sideplate of the reel its a good way to adjust the height of the spacer.

After the reel is together with the sleeve showing I like to have one tension washer before the drag star. When the handle is on I like it where there is a little bit of drag or tension on the spool with the drag star all the way backed off.

The drags will also compress ove just a couple of days so there will be a bit more room between the handle and drag star.

I never have anything between the handle and star.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Noviceman

Hi..Jim from Wisconsin...just finished taking apart a 320GTI I believe..markings all but worn off..and have questions....It has ht100 drag washers and wondering if it  is a good idea to clean them before greasing using gasoline, vinegar, mineral spirits etc....they feel greasy and the rest of the reel has some green brown grease in it...they could be carbontex..not sure how to tell the difference since they are kind of thin...

also the entire level wind assemble has been removed and I read that some people do that due to problems with the level wind and also to help it cast farther....would you advise  I purchase the parts and replace the levelwind??  I read that Alan suggested some kind of spacer under the pawl to help the levelwind work better, longer??

Ihave never used a reel without a levelwind before....

Hope its not a problem picking this old thread....

many thanks for any help...

Noviceman

Have one more question...my reel has almost all of the original markings worn off...In looking at all the schematics I can find the 320GTi is the only one with 1 screw in the left side metal ring????  The others have 3.....  Does that confirm that it is a 320GTi????  Appreciate your replies..

Jim from Northeast Wisconsin where fall has fell.....