Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Welcome to the group Ben!
....Lou

broadway

Welcome to the club, Ben.  Nice 30's reels in that front row there.
You're gonna dig this place.
Keep it up but save some for the rest of us ;)
Dom

Benni3

The collections here are unbelievable and a mad max upgrade 9/0 two speed,, there's a lot really cool stuff here most repeat to everyone

mo65

That's a fine collection Ben for only two years. Love those white spools...some great lookin' reels there! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

How did you know the white spool my favorite  ;D

thorhammer

Ben, nice stand you have there. Welcome!

Penn Chronology

QuoteYeah, I remember doing a bunch of that research on Olympic and connecting most of their dots earlier this year.   http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18625&p=83868&hilit=Ueno+Seiko#p83868 I just never think of Olympic as Ueno Seiko since most of their US known tackle was sold under the Olympic name. The Olympic 81 was thought by many to be circa early '60s since the Olympic Tackle Co wasn't established until 1958 and the company name wasn't changed to Olympic until 1961.   

The info I have about Olympic was passed on to me. My research is a side bar to the Ocean City move into spinning reels. That 1954 date had something to do with the expiration that Hardy had on the full bail. If I remember right, the Hardy patent protection expired in 1954 on the full bail spinning reel allowing Seiko aka Olympic to manufacture the full bail version of the Mitchell Series 3. I have not really researched this myself; but, I felt that the person that passed this on to me was very serious about his research, so I did not double check his info.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 30, 2016, 06:24:10 AM
QuoteYeah, I remember doing a bunch of that research on Olympic and connecting most of their dots earlier this year.   http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18625&p=83868&hilit=Ueno+Seiko#p83868 I just never think of Olympic as Ueno Seiko since most of their US known tackle was sold under the Olympic name. The Olympic 81 was thought by many to be circa early '60s since the Olympic Tackle Co wasn't established until 1958 and the company name wasn't changed to Olympic until 1961.   

The info I have about Olympic was passed on to me. My research is a side bar to the Ocean City move into spinning reels. That 1954 date had something to do with the expiration that Hardy had on the full bail. If I remember right, the Hardy patent protection expired in 1954 on the full bail spinning reel allowing Seiko aka Olympic to manufacture the full bail version of the Mitchell Series 3. I have not really researched this myself; but, I felt that the person that passed this on to me was very serious about his research, so I did not double check his info.

The 1954 expiration of the Hardy patent was a significant timeline in the evolution of the open face spinning reel, it opened the marketplace for others to utilize the automatic full bail. Some companies were ahead of the curve in development of their new products, but as is so much the case in the older fishing reel distribution history, new or innovative ideas took a year or two to develop and were slow making it to the consumer. Companies weren't near as pressured to increase sales and profit margins back then as they are today.       
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Penn Chronology

Yeah, I remember doing a bunch of that research on Olympic and connecting most of their dots earlier this year.   http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18625&p=83868&hilit=Ueno+Seiko#p83868 I just never think of Olympic as Ueno Seiko since most of their US known tackle was sold under the Olympic name. The Olympic 81 was thought by many to be circa early '60s since the Olympic Tackle Co wasn't established until 1958 and the company name wasn't changed to Olympic until 1961.   

The 1954 expiration of the Hardy patent was a significant timeline in the evolution of the open face spinning reel, it opened the marketplace for others to utilize the automatic full bail. Some companies were ahead of the curve in development of their new products, but as is so much the case in the older fishing reel distribution history, new or innovative ideas took a year or two to develop and were slow making it to the consumer. Companies weren't near as pressured to increase sales and profit margins back then as they are today.       

That is very interesting and I feel also very correct. Ocean City was much more on top of the open face Spinning than Penn was. Penn did not offer spinning reels until the 1960's while Ocean City was offering the 300 model in 1954. 

ez2cdave

Well, I thought I had posted in this thread, but I was mistaken . . . So, without further ado, a few pics !

ez2cdave

A few more . . .

ez2cdave

Some spinners

ez2cdave

More spinners

thorhammer

Nice stand Dave! Even nicer I'm in driving distance!  ;D

What's the custom under the 700?

Alto Mare

Very nice collection Dave, looks like you've been enjoying many of them.
Thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.