Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unutt

If you insist.  Black and Pro Max's are the same for the purpose of this post.

Pro Max spools are not integrated to the spindle.  That makes the spool very light.  Light spool means easy to get moving, and easy to stop.  The free spool on a Pro Max is not impressive because there is not enough mass to keep the spool turning.  It is easy to cast, however. 

1600s are the same diameter, but narrower width than 3600s.  They cast a small bait very well (I can really fling a 1/8 oz. Deep Tiny N).  If you want to cast a very small bait, the 1600 is your reel of choice.  If you want to use light line, the 1600 is your best choice.

3600s are better suited to a bait in the 3/8 and up range.  If you are going to throw a DD22, the 3600 is the plan.  If you are going to use 65# braided line, the 3600 is the plan.  If I am casting 1600 with a floating frog using 65# braid, I completely empty the spool, right down to the knot.  Part of it is because the spool is small, the other part because the 1600 casts a mile (or the length of your line, I guess).

The last ProMax was made in 1994.  I still use them exclusively.  I have yet to find a reel that casts better.  I dropped one in a local lake (Monticello) and went back and found it a month later (underwater camera).  I still use it all the time.  I changed the spool bearings and cleaned it out, and kept casting.

Repairs are easy.  Parts are readily available.  You can still purchase one on eBay for 50ish (10 years ago I was buying them for 15ish).  Upgrades are many,  and on and on.  I could write a dissertation.
So many reels, so little time.

wallacewt

thanks,that makes for good reading
cheers

Shark Hunter

That's a lot of the same reels Unutt. I thought I was the only one with the same problem. ;)
I have 13, 12/0s. Most have stainless handles and double dogs. I am working on it. ;D
Good Job Buddy!
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Wow :o
..65lb braid, flick casting!
Could you spare just one  :D  to an underprivileged fellow far away whose seen one but once!
...a mangrove jack hunter across the ocean in Fiji.
pm me for an address  ;D

Unutt

I am thinking the best plan is to deliver one personally.  I would feel bad if you had trouble with it and I was not there to help.  Fiji sounds like a terrible place to visit, but I might be willing to sacrifice myself. 
So many reels, so little time.

Dominick

Quote from: Unutt on August 01, 2014, 03:30:03 AM
I am thinking the best plan is to deliver one personally.  I would feel bad if you had trouble with it and I was not there to help.  Fiji sounds like a terrible place to visit, but I might be willing to sacrifice myself. 
If you need help carrying it, let me know I am willing to sacrifice by traveling to Fiji.  Bula.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

erikpowell

;D ;D  No worries guys, you can each have your own bedroom even  ;D ;D

Drisse

Old Swedishbuilt tunaset from the mid 50ies - early 60ies. Thee rod had to be specialordered from the Arjon factory and the reel is made by a company called Kärnan. There should be 11-12 reels made with a Penn reel as model. Rod and reel weighs about 8kg. Found the set in an antiqueshop in London.

In the small water called Öresund between Sweden and Denmark there was great Bluefin Tuna fishing from late 1940 to mid of 1960 when the last tuna was caught. The Öresund record on Bluefin Tuna is 372kg.

Shark Hunter

Nice find Drisse! That reel looks Huge! :o
Life is Good!

Drisse

Thanks Shark Hunter !  :)

Yes, it seems huge to me. But then I'm not used to big reels like you guys are.

Igor Peric

Some oldfashion reels and a few new spinners...

This is Abu garcia 5000 D, direct drive mechanism

Fin Nor Offshore 9500, Alvey 55A &  Daiwa BG90 M (3,25:1 gear ratio)

Shakespeare Sigma 035

...and some of my spinning reels

Shark Hunter

Yea! :P That's what I'm talking about! ;D
Awesome Shot Larry! You need a bigger table. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Very nice reel_nut...I mean reel_ doc ;D. You know, we have a couple of guys here that could supply parts for these reels for a couple of future generations, not that they would need them. Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishhead69

Really nice collection Daron. You are a true gentleman and it is nice to have you on the website. You can never have too many fishing rods and reels. Thumbs up.