525 Mag Pinion Bearing

Started by intili, March 13, 2014, 08:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intili

OK so the 525 mag is a great reel... but some of us have experienced mysterious grinding and binding!

Mine came in the middle of reeling up a 12# fluke last summer, had to pull the 50#braid by hand a few times and landed the fish. Stashed the reel in the garage until today.

So here it is, after disassembling the reel as Alan shows in his post in this forum to the point of the pinion bearing not shown on Penns exploded view, mine was so bad the bearing fell out leaving the heavy stainless outer race stuck in the brass insert.

Penn's answer was to buy a new frame for $50, no way! After trying everything, I inverted a 7/16"-14 taper tap handle down thru from gear side, and whacked it with a small brass ball peen and out came the race perfect driver. Be aware that the brass insert has a shoulder on the gear side, so the bearing will only go in or out from spool side of the frame.

BOCA offers a pinion bearing replacement for the 525 mag. Part# SMR128 the size is (8x12x2.5)mm don't get the flanged one.

So there we go! I will order the bearing and be back in business when the weather warms up here in NJ, tight lines to all!  Call BOCA 800 332 3256 and speak to Bryan, he will hook u up!

Rancanfish

This to me is the ultimate post regarding the Penn Mag 525.

After fooling around trying everything else, I followed intili's advice.  I called Boca Bearing at the number provided and parts were ordered in a matter of minutes.

Banged the bearing out with a wide blade screw driver and a plastic hammer. Then pressed/tapped the new one in using the rounded end of a small screw driver.

It took two tries, as I didn't seat the bearing fully the first time.

Back to smooth...
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

intili

AWESOME!!! Glad it worked out for you!!!
I just had the reel apart last week, and re-greased this same bearing first time since my original post!
Proud to be a part of this forum, awesome people here!
Alan and i started emailing each other about reel repair sometime around 1999, way before he started this site!
He is the best!!

Rancanfish

You are right there.  I too have had the pleasure of Alan's influence pre dot com.

But I get to visit him in person occasionally.

But regarding the 525, I chose to grease the heck out of that bearing too.  Thanks to you posting this info, the reel came back from a near death experience.  I was going to give up on it. 

Your posting here is going to save a few reels from the parts can in the future.

handi2

I believe the size 8x12x3.5

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

8x12x2.5 is the one I installed in the frame. The pinion gear slides into it.