220n base question

Started by Keta, March 20, 2014, 06:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

The base of my 220 will not fit the rod I want to use it on due to the feet being too thick and the OD of the reel seat too large.  Did newel make a different base for the 220 that might work or am I going to have to make another rod or put a Tiburon frame on the reel?   I really want to keep my only Newell stock if I can.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on March 20, 2014, 06:16:27 PM
The base of my 220 will not fit the rod I want to use it on due to the feet being too thick and the OD of the reel seat too large.  Did newel make a different base for the 220 that might work or am I going to have to make another rod or put a Tiburon frame on the reel?   I really want to keep my only Newell stock if I can.
Many have used a Penn reel seat for the very same reason.  I wish I knew which reel seat would fit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I can build a rod but time has been tight for me this year.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Frank

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Keta

Thanks, if I don't get the rod built I have a 30-49 stand I can use TEMPORARILY.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

Lee

I have one in my hand with the 4 screws already 30-180S. I will get it out in the morning.

I have to do my part to make your gift complete.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

Thanks Mike, when we get back I'll get it back to you, I really appreciate the reel.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

I don't need it. I have more because I keep a stock for my home port. Scott's will only sell 2 at a time, so every time I place an order I order 2.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

When you put a Tiburon frame on it you get the opposite effect. The Tib foot does not fit small reel seats. I have a couple of G-Loomis salmon rods that I can't use for my 220 unless I modify the Tiburon foot slightly. Not a big deal really. I just don't like grinding on a perfectly good foot.

Tunacious

Quote from: Keta on March 20, 2014, 06:16:27 PM

I had a similar problem with a Newell base for a 114HL...I just ground it down a bit...works fine. I haven't had any issues with Newell bases on Newell reels, including my 220's.

Dominick

Lee:  I have fine Fenwick Tuna rod (5'6'') that you could use.  I could send it down with Alan.  Better yet stop by the house if you are not flying.  Measure the distance between the screws so I could know if the reel will fit.  Let me know.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

I want a 8' or 8-1/2' light (20-25) live bait rod for this reel in case we can't get sardines.  I have everything but the blank and top to build one.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I have a 180 that I've put a Newell kit on attached to an 8ft 20 pound pre Shakespeare All Star. Love that rig. I think yours will be just as great.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

I am embarrassed.  It goes to show you I do not know the size of a 220n or what a 220n is.  I thought you were going after cow tuna.  You don't fish for sardines, you buy them at the bait shop.  :D ;D   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

My heavy rod collection is well stocked with 3 80#, 2 100#, 2 130# and 1 150# rods from 5-1/2' to 6-1/2' and a Seeker 2x4.

Mark Twain