Plan B for New and Old Reel Parts Kels Rod and Reel shop in FL

Started by f15h1n6, March 25, 2014, 02:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

f15h1n6

Not exactly sure where I should post this but if anyone has trouble with finding parts for old reels, I recommend Kel's Rod and Reel/tackle store out of FL. I found a few parts from reels from the 1980's that no one had, not even Shimano which were the old reels I needed parts for. Google search for their website and put in the exact part number (or somethingclose) in their reel part database and you should have some luck if you were at dead end with other sites/centers. Otherwise, give them a call to confirm in case part numbers dont work. Goodluck hope this helps for some!

Aiala

I tried them a month or so ago for my elusive Penn 980 left-side plate. Struck out.  :-[

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

f15h1n6

Try again if you wish. These places are always changing their inventory  :)

fxrguy

I know this original post is a couple of years old, but as a local to the Central Florida area I just wanted to add my 2 cents on Kel's Rod & Reel Shop. I have taken 2 Penn reels to them for service and their work was substandard to say the least. I originally took an old 710Z in for service and when I got it back the rotor cup nut was "very" loose. I figured anybody can make a mistake so I just tightened it myself. I then took an old 704Z in for service and told them about the issue I had when they serviced the 710Z. When I got the 704Z back it looked as though the inside had not been touched and the rotor cup nut was loose again... They are not cheap and your turnaround is a long time which I have no problem with if the work is done right. Just recently I called to see if they had a Penn 4 way reel wrench I needed and was told they did and was quoted $3.00 over the phone. When I got there they charged me $8.00! I had to have the tool that day as I was sending it out for service the next day and needed to check on something before I sent it. That's three strikes in a row for me so I will not be going back there for anything...

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

fxrguy

I should also mention that I have heard other experienced local anglers complain about Kel's as well. I think at one time they were probably a good shop but are just getting buy on their old reputation now. If I couldn't get a reel fixed anywhere else. I would sell it rather then do business with them...

foakes

Quote from: fxrguy on March 23, 2016, 03:22:23 PM
I know this original post is a couple of years old, but as a local to the Central Florida area I just wanted to add my 2 cents on Kel's Rod & Reel Shop. I have taken 2 Penn reels to them for service and their work was substandard to say the least. I originally took an old 710Z in for service and when I got it back the rotor cup nut was "very" loose. I figured anybody can make a mistake so I just tightened it myself. I then took an old 704Z in for service and told them about the issue I had when they serviced the 710Z. When I got the 704Z back it looked as though the inside had not been touched and the rotor cup nut was loose again... They are not cheap and your turnaround is a long time which I have no problem with if the work is done right. Just recently I called to see if they had a Penn 4 way reel wrench I needed and was told they did and was quoted $3.00 over the phone. When I got there they charged me $8.00! I had to have the tool that day as I was sending it out for service the next day and needed to check on something before I sent it. That's three strikes in a row for me so I will not be going back there for anything...

Thanks, fxr --

Good to know.

Few things to remember, though --

No two reel repair centers are the same.  Outside of the fact that they may not know how to service and restore a reel to proper operation -- the fellow working on the reel may not have the experience or knowledge needed to do the job capably.

Plus, there are levels of service offered -- likely depending on the service center, and the client expectations, pricing structure, etc..  

Some techs go right to the issue -- repair that issue -- do a basic surface cleaning -- lube & test all functions -- give the body a spray of WD-40 and a quick wipe down -- bag it -- bill it -- and call it done.  

Some techs do a complete teardown, clean every part, repair, lube, test for function, etc..

Some techs just do not know how to repair a reel properly...

And, some techs are just learning, and trying to get by. Sometimes a business does not have the same folks working there who started the company originally.

Basically there are no rules -- but a professional shop should do a decent job, as one would expect.

And it sounds like possibly there are some of these issues going on -- and probably many more we do not need to know about.

Brings us back to the purpose of this site -- learning how to service, restore, repair, and use our fishing equipment properly -- ourselves.  

There is much satisfaction to be gained -- and we end up with a job done the right way -- and for less money.

This is just my opinion, and I am not sticking up for anyone -- just saying we all need to make our own choices about who to do business with -- plus fxr's comments are very useful for all of us...and we always need a new place to source tough to find parts.

Thanks!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

My .02.....I originally learned how build Penn conventials due to interest and being to find $5 coffee can specials back then (ibid Mr. Oakes for that term). Since finding this site, after payng it have things fixed that were not then fixed, my reel IQ is at least 5x. Twice I've gotten stuck and sent a box to Fred and to the Boss himself for remediation; let alone the family helping out pictorially. It's possible someone out there may be as good as the AT fold but I can't fathom a more skilled collective intelligence. I'm keeping my outsource in-family for sure. And Fred sent me some great reel bags :)

mike1010

I've had luck with Glenn's Reel & Rod Repair, Des Moines.

Mike

handi2

There are shops around here that charge a full price but only repair, replace, or fix the one problem that the reel was brought in for. Many are like that. One shop charged someone over $80.00 to replace the worm gear on a Penn 330GTI and only that item was touched.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

f15h1n6

Again, I am giving "kels rod and reel" a thumbs up for having a wide array of parts especially for old reels. I never mentioned anything about their rod/service or anything of that sort. Everyone's .02 cents is welcomed but I was specifically talking about their parts inventory in case any of you hit dead end looking for a part especially if eBay is the last place for your old reel part search