Daiwa PS2 5B level wind uneven

Started by dirtymm, November 09, 2017, 08:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymm

No it's not a "salt water" reel but I'm going to use it anyway. I got a used Daiwa PS2 5B on ebay, used to be one of my fav reels in the day. The problem is the line is not wrapping clean and even, it's bunched randomly in spots. I tried walking out the line, tightened the drag so it's not dragging. I cant see the line guide skipping or hanging, maybe looks a little loose. I was trying to wrap 12lb mono as a backing then 20lb braid. Any thoughts what to check for? I've had a least a dozen baitcasters over the yrs, never had this. ???

Donnyboat

Hi Dirtymm, could be several things, there are a few cogs that drive, from a cog at the back of the pool, inside the tail plate, best to trip it down, not difficult, take digitle photos as you go, make sure the cogs are rotating freely, from there you have the worm shaft & the pawl, some times the shafts ware out, then it could be the point of the pawl has worn, as Alan said to someone, sometime you have to make up a washer to fit on the top of the pawl, to give it a little more pressure, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

dirtymm

TY friend, I will look at those points

Donnyboat

yes good luck, let us know what you find, you possibly will have to take the spool out, so service everything as well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

dirtymm

Took it all apart, very clean. Greased the level wind gear that the guide rides on. I think maybe the lil end cap that holds tension on the blade that runs in the level wind gear was loose. Snugged it all up and loaded w 12lb, cast and retrieves fine now, I don't like that cap w just a tiny flat disk in there for tension but it works.