Daiwa Sweepfire Baby! Redux!: A Marvel of Tool and Die

Started by johndtuttle, March 25, 2014, 05:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

I remembered this post and it always brought a smile to my face:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5640.0

Because I had picked one up when I decided to take my nephew fishing to catch his first trout. Being the inquisitive sort and liking my marine grease on toast like the rest around here I cracked it open and put some in there and off we went. Had a great time and couldn't resist taking some photos.

Disclaimer: This is not the sort of reel you "work on". This is something you crack open and slather some of your favorite flavor on anything that moves just for fun and hope it goes back together without losing a spring clip or washer.

http://daiwafishing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/SWEEPFIRE-X-1000X-4000X.pdf

$24.99 of your hard earned gets you this, loaded with 100yards maybe, of 4lb test:

I hope the working conditions there are improving?

I don't want to even know what's under there. The bail spring mechanisms are notoriously "fiddly" on spinners. Who knows what's under that cover...there be Dragons...

Best to leave it  ;D.

Now here's the idea: Start attacking nooks and crannies with Corrosion-x!

What is this Sorcery? Actually a decent line roller assembly:

Line keeper and spring clicker, look permanently attached:

Rotor nut and main shaft:

Handle pops out. Standard Daiwa Tech here.:

Cover and Body screws:

After the rotor come off we see the One. As in the One Bearing and a mechanical dog system. That's some of my goo from previous. As new they are dry as a bone:

With the left side off:

The mystery gear in the back is actually the crosswind gear. I think the idea is to get some lube on it, either that or it didn't fit so they cut a hole :D.

An image of the Dog ratchet that is part of the pinion which is some shiny metal. It has a switch to toggle the AR for that back reeling Trout Master. Heck no I ain't taking that apart! I may be crazy but I ain't a glutton for punishment ;D:

With the main gear out of the way:

Just pure insanity  :D

See that screw on the Crosswind block? Gives me nightmares just looking at it. I think you'd need a rt. angle bit and some loctite it you took it off:

This is a shot trying to fish the bushing out. You can't remove the main gear unless you do to let it move over the main shaft:

The Drag "Stack"  ;D. Dawn at smoothdrag.com has a replacement if you are after Cow Mackerel on your 15 day LR where the big 'uns swim:

Well, that's all the photos I took. These little guys come in a robust plastic body and I don't see how you could cram more in there for your buck. When you seen Mexican kids and their beer can spinners and you compare this to that "tech" a Daiwa Sweepfire is truly a Marvel of Tool and Die delivered to the US market for mere pennies to us.  8)

:D :D

Shark Hunter

I have two of them and plan on Kayak fishing with them for bait. If I lose them, Oh well. I have $15 each invested. ;) They are like the Bic Lighters of spinners. :D
Its all about the Sweepfire Baby! ;D
Life is Good!

spottybastard

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 25, 2014, 05:43:04 AM
I have two of them and plan on Kayak fishing with them for bait. If I lose them, Oh well. I have $15 each invested. ;) They are like the Bic Lighters of spinners. :D

I have a bunch of sweepfires.  If you're going to use them on a kayak, I would suggest to at least grease them up good with marine grease or a heavy coat of corrosion-x.

Shark Hunter

I have. They are really easy to work on. I'm just not going to take any really nice reels out on my Kayak in the Ocean. I'm still learning and don't want to lose a nice rod and reel. Back on the shore, I got it covered. ;)
Life is Good!

Glos

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 25, 2014, 05:43:04 AM
Its all about the Sweepfire Baby! ;D

you cant get better than BIC
I am planing to take 3 of these new ones EC 5000 size
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.