Daiwa Lexa (400) - Your Thoughts Please ?

Started by Wildman, March 26, 2014, 08:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: Cor on February 18, 2017, 06:05:44 PM
Quote from: mahfudzmn on October 08, 2015, 02:38:11 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on October 08, 2015, 01:00:05 AM

I didn't measure the drag on the one Lexa 400 I worked on because I didn't see the point. None of these reels have the frames to put out smooth drag much over 6 maybe 7kg. They might make more than that in a dead lift, but smooth performance is another thing entirely.

These are uber light reels so there is no free lunch. If you want those drag numbers smoothly for a real run by a real fish you need another class of reel like a Penn Torque LD or Okuma Makaira.

Really for 7-8kg you need heavier reels.

Thanks again for your thoughts John! As a person who sees a few reels every week I kinda know what the limits on baitcasters are. Its just that I really like em that I'm looking for a reel I can cast poppers and stickbaits with a few more pounds of drag than the NaCl that I have currently.

I had a look at the Tranx few weeks back, man that thing is HUGE and heavy too. Perhaps that's that and the limit for BC reels for heavy casting, I'm probably too reluctant to let go of that very dim glimmer of hope haha!
LOL....my perception is precisely the opposite "Wow those tranx reels are small and light" ;D  I suppose it's just where you come from.   I used 40 and 50 size Trinidads, SL50SH's, Speedmasters, Saltists, Saltigas etc. for many years and 3 years ago switched to using only My Tranx HG's and have not looked back.   I must also say that I've had better service from them then I had expected.

Heheh...and then you go into Bass Proshops and see the "100" size baitcasters and "2000" size spinners that trout and bass guys use daily....lol

Tranx is gigantic to a Trout guy, barely a bait reel for someone trolling for Black Marlin.

the rockfish ninja

I have a 300 and I have to admit, it's the first reel in a long time that I was totally happy with right out of the box. When I buy an Avet I automatically swap out to a round jigging knob & clean/relube with a faster lube (for casting purpose), but the Lexa with the high gear ratio, great handle, it was ready to kill fish right off the bat. Holding up against the salt pretty well too.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

MarkT

Quote from: johndtuttle on February 18, 2017, 06:39:18 PM

Heheh...and then you go into Bass Proshops and see the "100" size baitcasters and "2000" size spinners that trout and bass guys use daily....lol

Tranx is gigantic to a Trout guy, barely a bait reel for someone trolling for Black Marlin.

The biggest I go for trout is a 1000 size spinner.  I save the "big" 2000/2500 for LMB.  I still have a few 500 size spinners spooled with 2# for trout too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

Mark T, exactly my thoughts.  Stradic 1000's for trout and schoolie stripers.  I have a couple of those tiny Shimano 500's too.  I only do Crappie with them though.

Since this thread started I acquired a 300 size Lexa, but still haven't used it.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

MarkT

A few weeks back I sold my Lexa 300 and 400, both with power handles.  I looked at the TranX 400 to replace the Lexa 400 but got the Lexa hd400hs-p instead. I didn't replace the Lexa 300 since I already have a Curado 300, Calcutta te300 (x2), Abu NaCl 50 (x3) and Revo Toro Beast 60. I guess I really don't need every 300 size reel. Why the Lexa over the TranX? Stainless gears, stronger drags, more capacity, external mag spool control.

stoked4fishin

I have 2 Lexa 400HD 7:1 reels, and I really like them.  Caught plenty of YT and YFT (up to 20#) last year with no problems.  I would like the extra capacity of the Tranx, but it's just a bit too bog for me.  The drags on the Lexa has been very good.  I'll be taking them on my 2 trips this year for surface iron, coltsnipers, etc.

pjstevko

Anyone have any updates on this thread......

I'm thinking of picking up a daiwa lexa 400 hs-p for yellowtail and small yft....

MarkT

I recommended it to you on that BD thread this morning!  I prefer the Lexa 400, especially the HD version, over the TranX 400 for the reasons I mentioned a few replies prior. I have both the HD and original versions of the Lexa 400.

Gfish

Still got my Lexa 400Power-P, but I haven't used it in months. I wore mine a-little, 'cause I loved using it for reef castin, but it still works great. Decided to get the Revo Toro Beast60HS to get a higher retrieve speed for these hyped-up tropical species, and also I really wanted to check out that rather complicated non-lock-up on ya-when tryin to adjust under a load("active response")drag.
Like Mark say: the newer HD version. May be better than the old. I'd buy another one.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!