Penn Mag Power 970

Started by Alto Mare, March 29, 2014, 11:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Last week I noticed this little reel for sale and I had to have it ;D, I'm showing it next to my 146 for size comparison

as you can see from the photo, the spool is smaller than the Squidder

I've opened a few reels in the past, but this one really amazed me, very nice design.
The main gear and pinion are both stainless steel, the main gear is the same size as the 113H and the pinion is the same as the Squidder, but the teeth are a little beefier. I believe the Squidder pinion would work with this main gear if we had to. ***The Squidder pinion will not work on this reel*** .

What surprised me the most on this reel was the spool shaft on the clicker side, it is as big as the 114H.
This little reel comes already packed with goodies, lets see what else I could squeeze in it ;D
Here is what I came up with, upgrades are on the right

I was going to leave this one as is, but then I decided that I should install a second dog,
the grinding of the plate wasn't too bad

I used Lee's 113H dogs

the left side bearing came right out, but the right side was tight, still, no match for Reel Speed Mini Puller though...love that tool.

on a previous 970 post, there were discussions on the layout of the left side bearing, here is a shot of how they should go

here is another great feature, an adjustable magnet, we should try to make these for other reels

I do not use a carbon fiber washer for under the main gear, I like to use this plastic washer from Penn...just my preference

Drag stack had (3) washers, I bumped it up to (5), by using Bryan's metal washers. The carbon fiber washers were made out of a laminated sheet, with the thickness of .65mm. I will only use laminated carbon fiber washers in my personal reels from now on. The fit is perfect, I added a thicker washer at the top

don't be a hero and use the O-ring when assembling, it will make your job much easier, especially if you have two dogs

no need to worry about exposed springs or dogs on this one, the bridge is nice and wide

If you have this reel, I'm going to recommend that you grease the side nicely, the plates were hard to remove

a little jewelry hammer does a good job reinstalling the retaining washer on the bearing, usually you could do without, on this one it's needed
and here is the finished reel

some mentioned 12 to 15lbs max for this reel, from what I've seen, I believe that's a little low :-\.
This reel is a little tank.
Enjoy it! Any questions...just ask!
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Great post Sal..!! I have had all the Mag series reels and used to use them all the time. Sadly I sold them all a few years ago..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

Too cool Sal. Is it possible that the lowest eared washer is hanging up in the gear?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Porthos

Looks like I was NOT the only one to "score" a Mag Power recently...

Bought this one off of Craigslist for $65 today:

Yours is in much better condition than the one above AND, obviously, the one that I had to REPAIR. Since I'm only planning to go up to 13 lbs drag on it, I'm probably hold off on the stainless 113H parts, the 5-stack, and the double dogs. May be someday in the distant future...

P.S. The 24-349H goes really well with the 970.

Aiala

You guys are so lucky...!

I've just about given up on ever finding a left-side plate for my 980. I know Irish is still looking for me, but I don't hold out much hope...

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

floating doc

Nice work.

I bought a 990 and 980 when they were newly introduced. I fished them hard for many years, and sold the original 980 when the side plate cracked ($20-didn't know any better). I have since replaced the 980 out of nostalgia, and bought a 970 to fish with a couple of years ago, so now I have the complete set. I love these reels, they're tough reels.
Central Florida

Alto Mare

Thanks Guys and Gals, Aiala, I will keep an eye out for you.

Bryan, no the eared washer is not hanging up in the gear. I heard you guys talk about that earlier, but I haven't experienced anything like that yet :-\.

I'm not sure if it's the larger dogs or from the way the rings are designed, but this reel sounds like a machine gun when you turn the handle ;D, I know that some of you don't like that clicking sound when fishing ::), I happen to like it.  ;D I wouldn't mind if all of my reels would sound the same as this one.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

intili

Excellent post! and an excellent reel, I had acquired a 980 years ago, and subsequently turned it into a 970, and then bought a 970 so I have both in 970 size now. Both have stainless gear sleeves from Alan, and new stainless hex screws everywhere except the captive side plate screws and bridge screws.
They are awesome reels, best surfcasting conventional for me yet. The magnet is more effective than the newer multi magnet reels like the 525Mag and squalls. The 980 is just a tad wide for comfortable casting. This post is awesome! I was just talking to Brian about buying the drag washers to increase my stacks, great to see it works! I use the carbon fiber under the gear already. I also use larger handles from Penn, same as 113H and they used to be cheap!
Thanks!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 30, 2014, 04:14:51 PM
Sheesh, I want one now...

Well, here's something... really nice, but pretty expensive, (assuming you can get him to ship it to CA...)  :P

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121302407178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Only about an hour left on the auction, though.

~A~

Porthos

Quote from: Aiala on March 30, 2014, 04:30:01 PM

Well, here's something... really nice, but pretty expensive, (assuming you can get him to ship it to CA...)  :P

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121302407178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

~A~

At that price, you should continue trying for this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Mag-Power-980-fishing-reel-in-excellent-condition-/181363346441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3a190c09

Bryan Young

I think I like the 970 better. It's narrower.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Aiala on March 30, 2014, 04:30:01 PM

~A~

Nice boxed reel, sold for $125.
Quite a lot about in the UK.
Popular with the surf fishers.

Aiala

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 30, 2014, 06:39:48 PM
Nice boxed reel, sold for $125.
Quite a lot about in the UK.
Popular with the surf fishers.

Huh? This one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121302407178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

According to eBay, it didn't sell; zero bids. I wonder if the seller will re-list it...  ???

~A~

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 30, 2014, 01:08:35 PM
Thanks Guys and Gals, Aiala, I will keep an eye out for you.

Bryan, no the eared washer is not hanging up in the gear. I heard you guys talk about that earlier, but I haven't experienced anything like that yet :-\.

I'm not sure if it's the larger dogs or from the way the rings are designed, but this reel sounds like a machine gun when you turn the handle ;D, I know that some of you don't like that clicking sound when fishing ::), I happen to like it.  ;D I wouldn't mind if all of my reels would sound the same as this one.
That stainless sleeve double dogged 14/0 I bought off you sounds like a Gatling Gun! ;D
Life is Good!