Penn Mag Power 970

Started by Alto Mare, March 29, 2014, 11:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 30, 2015, 11:16:46 PM...Here is how I do it...

That's the Yucatan knot. Can vary it by going with Bimini Twist or Triple-Surgeons loop on the braid side and go 6-10 wraps on mono.

The Yucatan or the Alberto/RP/John Collins knot is what has worked for me...which one tied depends on my mood at the moment.

Aiala

I have practiced the John Collins knot a few times... I like its low profile and simplicity. Some of those other braid-to-mono connections seem insanely complicated; I'm not interested in spending 15 minutes on a stupid knot.  ::)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Porthos

Quote from: Aiala on January 30, 2015, 10:01:42 PM
Well, something of a budget-buster for sure, but finally... SCORE!! 

SOA, here we come!  :D

~A~

A 24-349H handle would be a good match...Alan still has one left as of 01/30/15, 4:30pm (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12811.0, #21)

Here's mine with the handle upgrade if you don't recall any of previous postings:

Aiala

Quote from: Porthos on January 31, 2015, 12:42:44 AM
A 24-349H handle would be a good match...Alan still has one left as of 01/30/15, 4:30pm (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12811.0, #21)
Here's mine with the handle upgrade if you don't recall any of previous postings:

Nice! Are you bringing it on the SOA?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Porthos

fIsHsTiiCkS

That's not a bad knot. But you should try out the Albright knot.  Just if your having problems with the connection.

I'm liking this power handle. I like how the length is adjustable
[/URL]

Porthos

Well...went to inspect my repaired 970 left side (done 2/22/2014) and found the epoxy was holding and hard as the last time I checked, unaffected by the Yamaha Marine Grease. Unfortunately, as I re-installed the plate, the upper screw left hole did a familiar and dreaded "crunch" as I tighten the screw--it wasn't anywhere near the tightness I had previously.

The old plate (left) had failed in a new location--the split is very obvlous. Could attempt another repair BUT...having a second failure, I think it's time to let it move on to "left side plate heaven."

Good thing I had the two spare side plates (one of the new ones on the right) that I spent the last two years hunting down.

Alto Mare

You know, these plates are made of reinforced fiberglass, they should actually be stronger than the others :-\

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Thank you Jason for a solid trade ;).
I have combined some parts from your reel to the one that I'm showing at the beginning of this thread. Thanks to you, this reel looks awesome:

The reason I'm showing this reel is to see if anyone has this type handle and would want to get rid of it, money or trade...your call

The power handle is from Sumo Tackle, if you don't have one, maybe could guide me to where they might be available.
Thanks!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I knew that reel would be in good hands! That drag star is very sleek. I am a big fan of that handle, I bought it of Bryan, I will see if he knows where to get more.

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on April 04, 2015, 06:25:48 AM
I knew that reel would be in good hands! That drag star is very sleek. I am a big fan of that handle, I bought it of Bryan, I will see if he knows where to get more.
Jason, it is an amazing design,who ever came up with it is a very smart man. Maybe it was "the boss" Alan ;D
Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 04, 2015, 06:31:16 AM
There is a good lookin one of these in a box on EBAY.  Thought of you Sal.
Yeah John, you didn't actually help me there ::). I had is on my sights, I'll pack my gun now and move on ;D.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 04, 2015, 09:54:12 AM
Yeah John, you didn't actually help me there ::). I had is on my sights, I'll pack my gun now and move on ;D.

Sorry Sal  :(

Won't let that happen again.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 04, 2015, 10:30:29 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 04, 2015, 09:54:12 AM

Sorry Sal  :(

Won't let that happen again.
;D ;D
I was only joking John, I realize you were only trying to help and I do appreciate it. ;)
I'm all set on those, but it's one of those things that I'll say "just one more", I'm sure you understand ;D.
It's up for grabs for anyone, if they want it as bad as I do, its only fair.
Thanks for looking for me buddy.
Sal

pennraiba

Hi Sal, very nice post my friend, really great!! Two things interested me so mch, the " Reel Speed Mini Puller" and the HT-100 plate. Where can I get these things? I´m a penn servicer in Brazil and would help a lot my job.

Thanks!

Felipe

Alto Mare

Thank you Filipe, I appreciate your kind words.
The Carbon Fiber sheets, I usually get  from this seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Drag-Sheet-Fishing-Reel-Upgrade-/111495328332?var=&hash=item19f5a3b24c
his name is Erik.
Here is the link for the mini puller:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZV1LP0
I hope this is helpful to you, if you have any other question...just ask!
Welcome aboard!
Sal