Penn Mag Power 970

Started by Alto Mare, March 29, 2014, 11:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattman NZ

Hi Jaypeegee the right reel is on it's way down to you in it's box plus tools & grease and Sal I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one - it's mint .If the replacement is half as good id be happy. :)
All the best .
Matt...

Alto Mare

Thank you Matt, I appreciate it. I have no doubt that the reel will finally get here, well, maybe just a little ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mattman NZ

Your welcome Sal My reel arrived yesterday a bit grubby but after a good clean i think it came up pretty good .Id have to say Sal yours is dam near new in the box and i took the reel clamp off and put it in the plastic bag and put extra bubble wrap around the reel just to make sure she's safe.Thanks Jaypeegee for all your help and assistance making sure Sal's getting the right reel .
Matt...

Alto Mare

Thanks for taking the extra care on my package, I appreciate it.
You did a good job cleaning that reel, it looks really nice. Enjoy it!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

I was rearranging some reels this evening and realized that I never posted pics of this beauty, so here you go:

Thanks again jaypeegee ( Jeremy ) and Mattman NZ ( Matt ), for making this happen, it wouldn't have happened without you.
This is one of my favorite.

Sal

Rancanfish

Anybody have a magnet for a 970? This one of mine was purchased off ebay and needless to say was not exactly as stated condition. All there except magnet was missing. And one of the sideplate screws was tightened thru the sideplate screw bed. So it's been parked in a storage box in the garage for years.
I think I could do an epoxy build up to repair the side plate, but not sure about making a magnet.

If one of you reel gurus wants to buy it and take a shot let me know. I would like to get a good chunk of my $120 back, maybe a c-note and free shipping? Or if you're close I'll deliver sometime for a cold one.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

That one is going to be tough, I've been hunting one down for myself for some time now. There might be a way that one of the guys here can make us some, but usually if there isn't much demand, it won't happen :-\ .

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 05, 2014, 06:21:44 PM
Anybody have a magnet for a 970? This one of mine was purchased off ebay and needless to say was not exactly as stated condition. All there except magnet was missing. And one of the sideplate screws was tightened thru the sideplate screw bed. So it's been parked in a storage box in the garage for years.
I think I could do an epoxy build up to repair the side plate, but not sure about making a magnet.

If one of you reel gurus wants to buy it and take a shot let me know. I would like to get a good chunk of my $120 back, maybe a c-note and free shipping? Or if you're close I'll deliver sometime for a cold one.

I bought a "spare" 970 for parts off of Craigslist earlier this year. The magnet is NOT one of the parts that I expect to wear out, so there's a chance I might sell just the magnet (I'll inspect the magnet tonight to confirm it's condition).

The going price on eBay is 17.95 plus 2.75 shipping, but what is a fair price to you?

Whoops... my bad; the eBay listing is for a bearing, not the magnet. So, what's it worth to ya?

Rancanfish

The reel behaves like a standard reel as is, but I can't really call it a Mag reel without it, lol.

Interested in selling a mag side sideplate too? Then it would be completely repaired. I just finally pulled the sideplate, it has a 1/2" chunk of the plate edge cracked out. I saw a pictorial here on a repair but I don't have time right now. I'm in the finishing stages of a bedroom remodel down to the framing to enable insulation upgrade. New sheetrock, electrical upgrades, texture, refinish oak flooring, install new prehung door, baseboard and paint. Whew.

Let me know Porthos. You know what you want price wise I bet.

Porthos

Assuming that this is the post you are referring to: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9889.0

...I'm glad it may have had helped you. If you go a hobby/hardware store that carries brass or stainless tubing, you can see if tubing with slightly thicker walls will still work. The stuff I used was sufficient, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the thicker wall route.

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 06, 2014, 06:32:46 PM...Interested in selling a mag side sideplate too?...Let me know Porthos. You know what you want price wise I bet.

No can do on the left-side plate, that's the part that drove my quest for a 970 parts-reel. The magnet is a different story. So here it is:

It was from a used reel so the slot head side has wear as shown. I know what I paid for the whole reel, but what the market value of individual parts would be I hadn't given much thought to. Hence, what are you valuing it to be? PM me if you wish to pursue the part.

Rancanfish

Thanks Porthos for the magnet!  I did the side plate epoxy repair and I believe it is actually stronger than original. 

For anyone that cares I used Loctite Aquamarine Epoxy I found in my toolbox. It said 'use when surfaces exposed to intermittent water immersion'. How perfect!

There was an adjacent gap in the side plate by the screw hole I slightly filled which made it better than new, strength wise.

It is a light gray color but I didn't care about matching side plate color on the inside.

Anybody want one of these now, lol?

fIsHsTiiCkS

I was looking for a new surf reel and then I found this thread... Soo I bought a nice 970 and finally got everything to get it back togther.

It looked great until I stripped it down. The bearing cup in the handle side plate was FROZEN in... so I got mad and dremeled it out  ;D

Got a new one thanks to Scott's

The dremel slipped  >:( So a new eccentric lever was need!

Then all the upgrades that Sal already recommend and a new main and pinion

The drag stack of 5x 0.5mm SS washers (from Bryan) and 5x 0.65mm as Sal recommended fit NICE! Thanks for the tip! Just added the new PFTE Delrin washers under the main gear.

Then another Delrin washer on top of the stack between the one piece spacer. The Drag is smooooth.

Slammed it all back togther and Double Dogged it! Placed the Sumo handle Bryan was selling, nice feature to switch the length of the handle.

Ok I have placed new ABEC 5 bearings from Dawn and polished the pinion to make it smooth for the spool shaft, however the free spool is TERRIBLE, almost none existent... any suggestions?

Alto Mare

What a gorgeous reel, these are my favorite. Someone on this site knew this and sent me a nice one for Christmas., I'm a lucky guy ;).

Have you noticed anything? that reel has stainless steel gears, for having a spool smaller than a 146 Squidder, the spool shaft is the same size as the 114h on one side, the bridge is very strong with a 113H sleeve. That reel is a true tank.
I didn't  talk much about them,  I would have lost all, while bidding on them ;D. I'm ok now, I got it covered ;D
Don't worry about free spool, the spring on bearing and the magnet don't make it spin much when you test it by hands.
Don't let that fool you, that reel casts like a dream, you will love it.
Where did you get that clamp and how much was it? It really makes the reel.

alantani

check to see if the gears are attracted by a magnet or now.  i think these gears are plain stainless steel.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 01, 2015, 03:19:11 AM
What a gorgeous reel, these are my favorite. Someone on this site knew this and sent me a nice one for Christmas., I'm a lucky guy ;).

Have you noticed anything? that reel has stainless steel gears, for having a spool smaller than a 146 Squidder, the spool shaft is the same size as the 114h on one side, the bridge is very strong with a 113H sleeve. That reel is a true tank.
I didn't  talk much about them,  I would have lost all, while bidding on them ;D. I'm ok now, I got it covered ;D
Don't worry about free spool, the spring on bearing and the magnet don't make it spin much when you test it by hands.
Don't let that fool you, that reel casts like a dream, you will love it.
Where did you get that clamp and how much was it? It really makes the reel.

I noticed ALL of that, its what sold me on the reel! The size really sold me as I'm a braid guy, so small tough reels are what I look for.The 113h sleeve is a VERY nice feature and the size of the gears, just wish the pinion was bigger and then would be able to swap for 113h gears! I really like how tight the spool is to the side plates as well. This reel is excellent in stock form! Its to bad about the free spool, Ill have to cast it around and try it out.

The rod clamp is pretty nice! I got it awhile back in a lot of reel parts I bought. Finally have a use for it now. Its an accurate clamp for the 113h