Penn Mag Power 970

Started by Alto Mare, March 29, 2014, 11:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

And yet another upgrade for this beauty:

a SS Sleeve with two additional teeth

No more clicking sound with this one, it is more like a buzzing sound...love it!

Handle slop is almost non existent.
We are probably done with this one, but you never know....

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Sal - thanks for this interesting post. You express a preference for laminated cf over plain - any particular reason(s)?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 22, 2015, 03:57:50 PM
Sal - thanks for this interesting post. You express a preference for laminated cf over plain - any particular reason(s)?
Well, actually assembling carbon fiber with glue to create a washer is considered lamination. I do prefer the two carbon fiber washers with a piece of plastic or fiberglass sandwiched in between.
During my tests, I noticed that the only washers that held up were the ones with the fiberglass washer in between. Those were some crazy numbers though, so it doesn't really relate to this or other reels.
Also, the carbon washers that I've tested were as the Versa Drag System...non rotating, one of the reason they need to be as strong as possible.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Thanks, I can see why that would be so. Is there one particular supplier you use?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 22, 2015, 05:49:29 PM
Thanks, I can see why that would be so. Is there one particular supplier you use?

There are a few suppliers, I only trust two, Dawn at: smoothdrag.com and Erik at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Drag-Sheet-Fishing-Reel-Upgrade-/111495328332?var=&hash=item19f5a3b24c:m:mXWLmAJ15qaOuABpKv86fvA
I usually get mine from Erik, the reason being that I like to experiment with thickness, those sheets give me lots of choices.
I've been using Erik's washers for appro. 3 years and have no issue to report.
I don't mind cutting my own washers, if you're not set up to do so, I would go with Dawn's pre cut washers

Sal

Tiddlerbasher

Thanks buddy. I've been cutting my own (leather punches and arbor press) for quite a while :)

Swami805

Greetings, Thought I'd move this to this thread. I've put me toe in the Mag Power waters and recently purchased a 970. I had the swollen side plate issues which I resolved with all the helpful advice I received here.Thankfully, although it looks to have never been serviced there was plenty of oil put in the ports and no corrosion. I put it back together with with new ht100 washers I had. The washers are thicker and now the handle is binding. My question is should I get thinner carbontex or thinner metal washers. Also what should I put under the gear, just has the stock red washer now. I'm just looking to get 8 or so smooth lbs of drag for fishing 20-25lb mono. I need to order some drag kits anyway so I'm thinking I'll stock up as I see a 980 in my future.
Very impressive reel, almost like one of the penn guys designed a reel for himself with what was available at the time.
Thanks again for the help. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

You are on the right track, change out either and you'll be fine.

You'll be fine with the stock red washer using it to only 8lbs.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Even though you're not fishing it hard, I would still get the 5+1 kit from Bryan, the reel will be extremely smooth. Besides, you never know what could be on the end of your line.
As Randy mentioned the stock washer for under the gear will do just fine, but i would replace it with a Delrin.

Swami805

Thanks Randy, was hoping to keep it simple.
I have a few small reels with big drag numbers so I don't want to go overkill too much. The swami is thinking albacore in our neck of the woods next year after the El Nino, could happen, right?
I check out the 5+1, Have those in a few newells and jigmasters, very smooth for sure, Thanks Sal
Do what you can with that you have where you are

fishhead69

I double dog dare ya! Nice double dog set-up.

Alto Mare

Thanks Fishhead!...love these little reels!

Sal

handi2

This is a 980 I picked up recently. I replaced the black bars with chromed ones. Now I can keep the black ones with the writing in a safe place.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

I did the same on mine Keith.  I have a N.O.S. set stashed too.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Pelagicide

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 21, 2014, 01:03:26 AM
As mentioned above, I really like these reels, but the rod clamp bolts don't make sense to me and I'm not crazy about them

Where did you get the replacements from?

Right now I'm puzzling over how to replace the bearings without doing a complete teardown of the reel. I'm assuming I'll have to take the right sideplate off, but am wondering if I have to take the left one off. This is a little more involved than my Jigmaster, where all I have to do is push a button and the entire left side and the spool come out. Are there any other internal upgrades I can do without grinding the sideplate to fit a second dog in, maybe something like new gears to make the retrieval rate faster. I still haven't found a new handle and power knob - I like round knobs, my Star 7000 has a perfect knob of eurathane, maybe I can buy one and use that ....