Penn Spinner Dogs

Started by Keta, April 05, 2014, 04:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I have located the proper material and will be cutting dogs and ratchets for the SS series Penn spinning reels.  It would help me to know approximately how many sets to cut.  For now I will be cutting 16T ratchets.  Use my e-mail as it's easier for me to keep track.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

For which size penn reels?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 05, 2014, 06:25:33 PM
For which size penn reels?

Right now the 750 and 850.  I will work on drawing up the parts for the 650 soon.  I don't have one to fit the parts on but Sal will test them first.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, the 750 dog will fit from the 650 to 950. On the 650, the tail need to be bent a little, we could do that ourselves.
About the ratchet, if you change the teeth as I will show below, I believe we'll be set:

Here is a shot of the 650 dog, the tail has more of a sharper angle

By the way, for the newer guys with ss spinners, it would be hard trying to find the 650 dogs if you have them mixed with the 750 dogs, you will find that rectangular mark  only on the 650 dog
While I'm at it, don't throw away the empty reel-x battles, they're great to apply grease to screw holes

Lee, if you change the shape of the ratchet teeth, it should work with the dogs alignment

or better yet, as Justin did

His are sharper....just a thought.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Lee, this is to confirm that if you knock off the top part of the teeth on the ratchet, it will work
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

305al

Keta, I would like to get a price on 24 sets if possible- I have a lot of these reels and would like to upgrade them. Thanks Al 42255@bellsouth.net / 305.668.9822

LTM

Sal,

"Lee, the 750 dog will fit from the 650 to 950. On the 650, the tail need to be bent a little, we could do that ourselves."

How does one go about bending the 650 dog?

Alto Mare

ACDIII

Keta

I sent you an e-mail regarding a set of dogs and ratchet gear for a 7500 and 8500.

Thanks

Andy Durden

Shark Hunter

Lee,
You better let that hand heal Brother! ;)
Like I said before, If I can wait, so can everyone else! ;D
We can wait! ;D
Life is Good!

Keta

I hear you.  I can't use my belt grinder or drill press one handed anyway and I'm even having trouble and pain trying to fish for trout.

Mark Twain

mhc

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 06, 2014, 08:39:43 PM
Lee, this is to confirm that if you knock off the top part of the teeth on the ratchet, it will work

Sal, Lee,
Would factory dogs work on the 'Justin style' ratchets with the shoulders ground back?
Thanks, Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Yes! Lee's dogs are the exact copy as factory, his first batch was off, but he quickly fixed it. The only issue with Lee's, was with thickness, he couldn't find the right stock. Lee should be offering us some soon, those should be of the same dimensions.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 26, 2014, 12:11:45 PM
Yes! Lee's dogs are the exact copy as factory, his first batch was off, but he quickly fixed it. The only issue with Lee's, was with thickness, he couldn't find the right stock. Lee should be offering us some soon, those should be of the same dimensions.

As soon as my hand is back I will cut the plate I got 3 days before the fall.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Sorry Lee, I forgot all about your hand, maybe because I know you're a tough bird ;D.
Don't worry about anything but your hand ;)