Best knot or method to unite mono leader to braid.

Started by OSIRIS631, April 07, 2014, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OSIRIS631

Hi guys,

I am new to using braid.  What would be the best method or knot to use when attaching a mono leader to main braid line.... EX. I got 20 pound braid on my fluking rod and would like to attach 30 mono leader to line... and how long do you  guys think I should make it.  Thank you for any input

Kindest regards,

John
Sometimes your the dog and sometimes your the tree.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bucktail

For that purpose I like the Red Phillips knot.  Very easy to tie and super strong.  I like it for most all inshore fishing.  For bucktailing fluke I like a 3' or 4' leader.   For tuna I like the GT knot.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!
-Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

SoCalAngler

I use to use a Bob Sands knot but I'm now trying the Tony Pena knot. They tie almost the same but the Tony Pena uses a over hand knot on the mono/fluoro vs. a 3 turn uni.  Tony's knot has a smaller profile and passes throught guides easier.

Edit: I use 12 turns up and 12 turns back down on the spectra side.

Edit #2: When tied right there is no need to hold onto the tag end of the spectra as shown in the video, the knot should tighten up fine.

OSIRIS631

Thank you very much gentalmen... and soCal that video was very insightful

Regards,

John
Sometimes your the dog and sometimes your the tree.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

modified albright or alberto knot. you need a bimini twist on your braid, easy when you get the hang of it. but when you don't have the time or the boat is rocking i agree with LEE(keta) uni to uni...

SoCalAngler

I have used the Bimini to Albrite and it works well but it is very bulky. The Uni to Uni is alright but have seen many failures due to slipage with this knot. Maybe it is the people tieing it? With the Uni to Uni the knot holds onto line it was tied to, the braid knot holds onto the braid and the mono/fluoro holds onto its self also. With the Bob Sands or Tony Pena knot the braid grips onto the leader/topshot. The more pressure applied to the knot the tighter the braid grips the leader. The Bod Sands and Tony Pena knots hold sort of like hollow spectra grips onto mono with its Chinese finger cuff tightening, meaning the more pressure applied to the line the tighter the hold.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 07, 2014, 07:04:02 PM
...grips onto mono with its Chinese finger cuff tightening, meaning the more pressure applied to the line the tighter the hold.

same principle with the modified albright or alberto knot...

Ron Jones

My favorite is a Yucatan knot tied with a 3 pass surgeon's loop. Very fast and has not slipped or failed yet.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

josa1

I've found the simplest way to connect mono to hollow spectra is.....(1) Tie a loose overhand knot in the spectra about 18" from the end  (2)  Slide the mono up into the hollow spectra 12" to 16" (3)  Pull the loose overhand knot down to about 1" from the end of the spectra and then pull the overhand knot tight.  Using this connection I've never had a failure and have caught fish to over 250 pounds

I use a loop to loop to connect a length of hollow spectra to solid spectra when necessary.

I use 80 pound hollow spectra to connect 20 pound mono up to 80 pound mono. I use 200 pound hollow spectra to connect to most all of the heavier mono lines I use, 100 up to 200 pound test.

I carry a small stainless steel rod in my tackle box to open up the spectra weave to allow for easier insertion of the mono.

I can change a top shot in just a few minutes when necessary.

Simple system that has always worked perfectly for me.

josa1

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: OSIRIS631 on April 07, 2014, 03:45:19 PM
I am new to using braid.  What would be the best method or knot to use when attaching a mono leader to main braid line.... EX. I got 20 pound braid on my fluking rod and would like to attach 30 mono leader to line... and how long do you  guys think I should make it.

ok guys! he has a 20lb straight braid and he wants to attach it to a 30lb mono leader. IMO since 20lb braid is too thin you really have to make a loop,  e.g. bimini twist or aussie plait, to double the diameter of the said braid so as not to cut into his 30lb mono leader during a fight. just my 2 cents...

maxpowers

fg knot.  john collins knot,  tony pena knot..all should work fine.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: maxpowers on April 07, 2014, 10:54:45 PM
fg knot...

one of the knots i use...my next one to try is the PR knot once i get the necessary tools for it...

SacFly

Quote from: Keta on April 07, 2014, 03:46:39 PM
A double uni is easy, fast and strong.

For 20braid to 30mono I'd put 5 turns on the mono, 7 or 8 into the braid.  It's easy and reliable.

If I was tuna fishing I'd learn another knot, but no fluke-striper-bluefish is going to pop a double uni.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

btw i usually tie a short mono or fluorocarbon, length of the rod + a foot or so...