Best knot or method to unite mono leader to braid.

Started by OSIRIS631, April 07, 2014, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Let me update my part here. I'm NOT sold on the Tony Pena knot. I have had some issues with some of the spectra slipping over the stopper/overhand knot in the mono/fluoro when you sinch it down. It seems to me with the 3 turn uni/stopper in the Bob Sands knot I don't have this issue. Back to the Bob Sands for me.

maxpowers

I actually use a double grinner knot when the line diameter are similar, say 80 lbs braid to 40 lbs mono, etc..

johndtuttle

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 18, 2014, 04:04:57 PM
Let me update my part here. I'm NOT sold on the Tony Pena knot. I have had some issues with some of the spectra slipping over the stopper/overhand knot in the mono/fluoro when you sinch it down. It seems to me with the 3 turn uni/stopper in the Bob Sands knot I don't have this issue. Back to the Bob Sands for me.

Yea, I'm a big fan of Bob Sands knot for my "hot bite" retie solution. I also tuck the tag end of the Braid through the twists in the stopper so that they bind the end.

Ultimately, L2L is the most reliable.

maxpowers

For hot bite, I used a 5 turns surgeons with leader of 6 ft or less.  It tested out stronger than a uni-uni and pretty fast to tie.

erikpowell

Keta

It's a bulky knot that does not go through eyes well, that's why the 6' max length.  I use it to put a short section of Fluoro on the end of my mono.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

For mono to fluoro with the knot outside of my tip top when casting I use the Seaguar knot....it has never failed me.

Dominick

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 19, 2014, 04:42:24 AM
For mono to fluoro with the knot outside of my tip top when casting I use the Seaguar knot....it has never failed me.
The Seaguar looks good in theory but it cost me a Wahoo.  :'(  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Dominick on April 19, 2014, 05:44:03 AM
The Seaguar looks good in theory but it cost me a Wahoo.  :'(  Dominick

did you use a seaguar fluoro? ;D ;D ;D

SoCalAngler

I've used to up 50lb test for 100lb grade tuna, sails and stripped marlin without issue. Most of the time the sails and marlin are bycatch when hunting other fish or I'd have longer leaders, not the shorties using the Seaguar knot.

Keta

I've used it for up to 200# and have landed cow YFT
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

doradoben

Thank you for posting this video. I saw it about a year ago and used it last season. Before I'd try to make a bigger loop that required stepping into the formed loop and spreading both knees to put tension on the line while I was sitting down. This, for me, made tying a Bimini much easier with better results. It takes me longer than 30 seconds but still much faster than before.

Brendan

I liked that even though I rarely use them. Very cool video.

jonnou

I like this one An eazy version of the GT I think
I think it may have been mentioned earlier you can tie it at sea! will post this and going back to study the other Knots in this post to see if any match. also for small diamater braid using uni to uni I double the braid up and be carefull tightening it up