Best knot or method to unite mono leader to braid.

Started by OSIRIS631, April 07, 2014, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Interesting knot, not as fast as the other too but it looks good, I will try it if/when I run out of L2L topshots.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tunacious

For braid to mono/flouro, the Collins/RP/Improved Albright is a small, simple to tie knot that seems to be bulletproof. I use a 7 turn rather than 5.

Although bulkier, the Bob Sands knot using a 4 turn uni is another good knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0kETh1mS8&list=PL8AD1BFA5C99D3843&index=2

For mono to flouro connections, try a 3 turn Surgeons knot.

Bucktail

The GT knot that Jonnou posted the video of is the real deal.  It's what I use for bluefin tuna. 8)
Just a jig-a-lo

Keta

I've used the "Collins" knot without knowing it by that name and it works well.  I was taught 7 one way 6 the other.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Capt Ahab

The Collins knot is what we call the Crazy Alberto Knot - exactly the same thing

Wonder who came up with it 1st?

BTW - I use it for everything from Tuna to FW trout

Meanwhile

Quote from: jonnou on July 08, 2014, 10:44:27 AM
I like this one An eazy version of the GT I think
I think it may have been mentioned earlier you can tie it at sea! will post this and going back to study the other Knots in this post to see if any match. also for small diamater braid using uni to uni I double the braid up and be carefull tightening it up

Will this knot work with 60 or 65 JB lb hollow braid?  I've tried to learn it but the braid just slips down the mono.  I'm thinking that it requires a solid braid to bite into the mono.  I'm trying it with a hard mono, but if it works with flouro it should work with a harder mono too.

I could do a loop in the hollow, but at sea after a tangle that gets cut off I need a quick alternative.  I've also gotten away from loop to loop when fishing for albacore, just not necessary.  If I ever get my boat to Mexico I'll have a Gnome to help with loop to loops.  (30' GW Marlin).

Keta

I've tied it using hollow and it works.

This might get you going on the Mexico trip,

Mark Twain

jonnou

Nice fish Lee

I think it should work

practice it and try with different lines
I am thinking you are learning this for a back up to be tied at sea?
You have to snug it down hard for it to work
I have not tried to do this with hollow yet but will try soon
good luck
Jon

Keta

Quote from: jonnou on October 21, 2014, 08:04:58 AM
Nice fish Lee

That's No Bail (Randy) with a large/average YT (kingfish) he got in the Sea of Cortez few years ago.  It's size is deceptive as Randy is well over 6' tall, I'd guess it's weight is around 38#-42#.

If I run out of pre spliced topshots on the water I use knots (for 40# and under) but I keep several (4-6 in the sizes I feel will be used) topshots on spools in my tackle bag.  They are quick to replace, especially the short ones (10'-20') I use for everything but trolling (100').  To replace one you cut the loop on the topshot, pull it off the loop in the mainline, inspect loop on mainline, then put the new topshot on.  I make my loops large enough to get a line spool through but not too much more.

Mark Twain

trond_solem

Double uni-knot for uniting lines.
For every thing else, uni-knot.
One knot to know, one knot to learn, one knot to join them all.

Seriously, learn to tie the uni-knot blindfolded and learn to do it right and you will never need any other knot. (almost!)
It's better to tie the uni-knot right and make a strong knot that doesn't weaken the line much, than using several knots that you aren't able to tie perfectly and by this weaken the line much more.

maxpowers

the uni-uni knot is not the best knot for joining braid to mono.  many knot tests have shown that..

trond_solem

Quote from: maxpowers on November 13, 2014, 08:33:32 PM
the uni-uni knot is not the best knot for joining braid to mono.  many knot tests have shown that..

A correctly done uni-knot will hold about 90% of the line strength. I am sure there are more complicated knots that takes several minutes and deep concentration to do right, but the uni is quite simple to tie and will hold up to your needs if you use a line that is strong enough for your needs.
What the knot tests you are reading shows may be skeewed by the line manufacturng company. Some knots may work a bit better tnan others with their line due to differences in fibre, braid and coating.

I can't learn 20-30 diferent knots and what line to use them on.  I know how to do the uni-knot and know how to do it right. Never had any problems with slipping knots or anything.

BTW, I read a knot test where they expected a 50# mono joined to a 30# braid to hold 45.5# .  That's unrealistic to put it mildly. If you can get your joined lines to hold 90% of the state strength, you have made a good knot. If that isn't enough for you, use a stronger line. Balancing on the edge by using knots that are difficult to tie the right way to extract a few pounds of extra strength will eventually make your line or knot break unexpectedly.

YMMWW!

maxpowers

There is a much easier knot to tie than a uni to uni and it performed much better.  You can even tie it in the dark and the knot is fairly forgiving with regarding to having a perfect knot.   The only downside is you are limited to about 10-15 feet of leader material unless your leader is on a spool.  That knot is a 5 turns surgeons knot.

Bill_N

Quote from: jonnou on July 08, 2014, 10:44:27 AM
I like this one An eazy version of the GT I think
I think it may have been mentioned earlier you can tie it at sea! will post this and going back to study the other Knots in this post to see if any match. also for small diamater braid using uni to uni I double the braid up and be carefull tightening it up

I tried this knot to attach an 80lb mono leader to 80lb braid and could not get it to cinch up tight enough to grip the mono. I will say it's Izorline 80lb mono which is pretty hard but ended up going with the uni to uni on it. It seems like the knot works best with a thinner braid that will bite into the mono.
Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/