Best knot or method to unite mono leader to braid.

Started by OSIRIS631, April 07, 2014, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

surgeon loop to double the braid then uni knot. i use it on trout to grouper; never had it fail when winching Big Tasty out of a ledge. surgeon loop takes five seconds to tie vs. bimini

jonnou

Surgeons loop is easy but tests poorly. I use it for deep drops and have had no failures on 80lb but would not trust it for hard fighting yellow tail kingfish or similar. The author of the gt knot video had answered a few questions with people having trouble with the knot. I had no trouble. But it has been said before the best knot is the one you can tie well
good luck guys

Keta

I use a 3 turn surgeons loop finished with a nail knot when I need to make a quick loop on the water or in solid Spectra.  My Spectra is always heavier than my topshots and I never have problems using what is a 60% knot in mono, I don't know what the strength is with braid.  I've seen 2 turn surgeon loops in Spectra come apart (not break, just slip) under a heavy test load.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

OldSchool

I always love how the same knot gets claimed by some guy that calls the knot after himself...priceless. You end of with the same knot and 10 different names.

Bryan Young

That is similar to the Jim Nomura knot.  I have yet to master this knot to my liking.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 25, 2015, 02:08:22 PM
Take a look at the Alberto Knot, it's what I use and I think it's great.  http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/

I use that knot for lighter line, 30# Spectra to 15# fluorocarbon, but didn't know it's name. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

I have the tools and supplies so anything over 50# is L2L.

Mark Twain

Newell Nut

The Alberto is the same as the modified Albright and I use it to tie Fluorocarbon to Momoi main line. Consistently breaks at 25 lb on my 30 lb momoi Diamond.

Dominick

I have created the Dominick knot.  There are 8 letters in Dominick so one would start out making an Alberto knot and instead of 7 turns you make 8 turns before you turn back on the first turns to create a Dominick knot.  Instead of counting you say out loud D-O-M-I-N-I-C-K then you start the turn back by saying out loud K-C-I-N-I-M-O-D.  Then you cinch it up and cut the tags.  This is a modification of an Alberto knot.  Notice you spell MOD when you make the back turns.  Let me know if I can be of further help.  :-* Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on June 25, 2015, 10:00:48 PM
I have created the Dominick knot.  There are 8 letters in Dominick so one would start out making an Alberto knot and instead of 7 turns you make 8 turns before you turn back on the first turns to create a Dominick knot.  Instead of counting you say out loud D-O-M-I-N-I-C-K then you start the turn back by saying out loud K-C-I-N-I-M-O-D.  Then you cinch it up and cut the tags.  This is a modification of an Alberto knot.  Notice you spell MOD when you make the back turns.  Let me know if I can be of further help.  :-* Dominick

Have you already applied for the patent?
I.E. DOMINICK is patent pending

If not, you may want to consider this course of action.

For example..

Ca. 2002 a good friend of mine developed a new, and effective style/design of a dehooker.  He quickly coined this device "The Arcenaux Dehooker", after his last name of course.  This dehooker design gained popularity, and its use became widespread.  Unfortunately, he did not complete the proper paperwork, and within a few years his design was copied by a major manufacturing company who proceeded to sucessfully market the product, and they continue to profit from 'his' design to this day. Asside from a few old management-related documents, the 'Arcenaux' name has all but died out.

I wouldn't want to see this happen to you.  :)

Just look what's happened to the now popular 'tank' name, when we all know there can truely only be one 'tank'.

Think about it.*

*Just not too hard.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

joel8080

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 25, 2015, 09:12:54 PM
The Alberto is the same as the modified Albright and I use it to tie Fluorocarbon to Momoi main line. Consistently breaks at 25 lb on my 30 lb momoi Diamond.

On the SOA trip I used 80 Spectra to 40 mono tied with a Modified Albright and never had a problem even with Sea Dogs hanging on a couple of times, one time it bite thru the mono but never had a problem with the knot.

Could it be that Mono & Floro together are both to slipery to hold a good knot?.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

jonnou

Quote from: Dominick on June 25, 2015, 10:00:48 PM
I have created the Dominick knot.  There are 8 letters in Dominick so one would start out making an Alberto knot and instead of 7 turns you make 8 turns before you turn back on the first turns to create a Dominick knot.  Instead of counting you say out loud D-O-M-I-N-I-C-K then you start the turn back by saying out loud K-C-I-N-I-M-O-D.  Then you cinch it up and cut the tags.  This is a modification of an Alberto knot.  Notice you spell MOD when you make the back turns.  Let me know if I can be of further help.  :-* Dominick
Hi Dominick

I tried this Knot but I believe I Misspelled on the way back down. This caused a catastrophic failure of the Knot and resulted in the loss of a fish and a huge birdsnest in my reel.
I would suggest you print some waterproof Instruction cards to prevent this happening to any other innocent anglers out there. Also a Disclaimer in fine print on the bottom would be a good touch. I think the speeling misstacke was MUD which is DUM reversed

Dominick

Quote from: jonnou on June 28, 2015, 09:19:56 PM

Hi Dominick

I tried this Knot but I believe I Misspelled on the way back down. This caused a catastrophic failure of the Knot and resulted in the loss of a fish and a huge birdsnest in my reel.
I would suggest you print some waterproof Instruction cards to prevent this happening to any other innocent anglers out there. Also a Disclaimer in fine print on the bottom would be a good touch. I think the speeling misstacke was MUD which is DUM reversed

:D ;D :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mackereljoe

I just re-spool a reel with PP slick #65 and my usual FG knot is not holding and locking #30 mono.  Tried tony Pena 12 down 12 up still slipping.  Ended up going old school with 30 turn bimini to 8 worm or reverse albright.  All the braid I've tried so far it seems the FG tested best except PP slick.  No glue was used.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

mackereljoe, try to scrape off wax or ? form PP slick by squeezing the line between 2 nails. this is what i do no matter what knot i use, hope this helps...