Best knot or method to unite mono leader to braid.

Started by OSIRIS631, April 07, 2014, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

braid to mono = FG knot. Once you tie and use this one you will wonder why you bothered with anything else.

Dominick

I usually use fluorocarbon attached to braid.  I end the braid in a Bimini twist and attach the Fluoro with an Albright knot.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

fsrmn

I agree with OldSchool. The FG knot is easy to tie, lays flat on the spool and doesn't slip
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

johndtuttle

The best knot is the one you tie the best.

All of the knots posted are great. All of them are terrible when tied badly.

Some of these knots are complex (ie FG or Page Ranking knots) and require many hours of practice and testing before they become quick and reliable.

The journey has just begun.  :D

OldSchool

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 18, 2014, 06:15:45 AM
Some of these knots are complex (ie FG or Page Ranking knots) and require many hours of practice and testing before they become quick and reliable.

The FG is simple as pie, its the practical version of the PR knot and I think people get the two confused,There are a few ways to tie the FG and they are all simple.

erikpowell

I skip all the fancy knots requiring me to sit and learn and practice and try and practice over and over again on my counter at home..
then burn time trying to remember them again when I'm out on the water!  :o

.inevidibly I'm on a >25' boat, its kinda rough, or in a kayak, it's windy, light fading, bite is on, whatever..

Uni to Uni ..every time... fast & easy..If I lose a fish, it's almost never my knot... keep it simple

I almost always double the braid and trim off the extra tag. too easy!

8-12 turns on the braid - 3-5 on the mono/fluro
I use this for

Braid        Leader (usually fluro, mono over 130lb)
15 lb                     15-30lb
30 lb                     30-80lb
50 lb                     30-80lb
65 lb                     60-200lb
80 lb                     60-200lb

To demonstrate the versatility of even a single uni knot:
For popping I also attach my 80-100lb twisted leader to swivels with a 3 turn uni.... It's fat and ugly but it's the only way to go.

Works for me!   I usually have enough to do already  ;D ;D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

FG and PR knots are pre-fishing or pre-boat knots. uni-uni is the most practical, fastest and strongest knot to tie while dealing with the elements, my 2 cents again... :) ;) ;D

btw i have used FG slim beauty Tony P. Bob S. uni-uni and all the albright knots. i've been using modified albright lately because it's faster to tie than FG. once i have the "tools" i'll be experimenting with the PR. these 3 knots imo are more forgiving on the guides... :)

Bucktail

It's official!  Ask a dozen anglers, get a dozen different answers. :D
Just a jig-a-lo

OldSchool

Quote from: Bucktail on April 18, 2014, 01:35:42 PM
It's official!  Ask a dozen anglers, get a dozen different answers. :D

Yeah, knots are like that. I've tied and used the slim beauty, improved albright, uni, 6 turn yucatan, and probably plenty of others i forgot but at the end of the day I had knots catch on runners and braid piled ups in a massive mess using spinners or the centers of rod runners being knocked out so now i use the FG, no problems. My preference is based on experience and everyone's experience can be different but on that basis its FG all the way for me.

At the end of the day use whatever blows your hair back if its working for you.

Keta

Most of the time I have a new L2L  topshot on a spool and don't need anything but a loop knot for the L2L attachment.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

yes L2L, will use for some of my gear at the june trip. i'll buy BHP's wind-ons and if i'll have the necessary "tools" before the trip, will make my own... :)

at the end of the day experiment to discover what works for you...

maxpowers

Quote from: Mel B on April 18, 2014, 02:43:01 PM
yes L2L, will use for some of my gear at the june trip. i'll buy BHP's wind-ons and if i'll have the necessary "tools" before the trip, will make my own... :)

at the end of the day experiment to discover what works for you...

Mel,

I will have some 30, 40,and 50 lbs wind-ons available for anyone to use on the trip for free.  I am on a trip prior and will meet up with you guys for dinner and drop off the windons.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

johndtuttle

Quote from: OldSchool on April 18, 2014, 10:07:13 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on April 18, 2014, 06:15:45 AM

The FG is simple as pie, its the practical version of the PR knot and I think people get the two confused,There are a few ways to tie the FG and they are all simple.

I know the FG well. If it works for you go for it! :)