P322F Newell drags

Started by skipjackrobert, April 08, 2014, 03:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipjackrobert

Gentlemen:  I have a very nice newell p322f reel.  As far as upgrading the drags, what should I expect to be able to fish these reels at.  I was told by removing shims etc you can fish these 20 lb reels at 40 and 50 short top shots.  That seems a tad over the top but what are reelistic, lol, expectations?

Thanks. Robert

Bryan Young

50-65# main with up to 50 top shot is what I have seen.  I've served a few well fished 322 and they seem pretty tough with the narrow spool.

I would upgrade the drags to my 5 stack if you need more stopping power.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

There are no shims etc. to remove. What you should do is get Bryan's 5 stack drag system and replace the factory 3 stack drag. This have consistently given me a 32 lb system tested with scales and fishing. I use 40 mono on all of my 300s including the 322 and they can handle the load just fine. You can fish it at 20 lb of drag very smoothly with the upgrade.

skipjackrobert

This is hard to believe but I believe you!  Thank you...I will do the upgrade...

Bryan Young

I've tested my drag kits to 24#s with room to spare.  I didn't see a need to go higher, but others have.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D