Accurate 870 Boss Magnum - Free Spool Problem

Started by JRibera, April 09, 2014, 07:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRibera

This is an awesome site, so glad to find for my love of fishing. I have an Accurate 870 Boss Magnum which I acquired from a friend. It wouldn't go into the off position in the drag tension lever. I opened it up, cleaned, greased and put it back together. My knowledge of the 870 is very limited, like none. The lever will now go into the off position but will not free spool. I really want to use this reel, but need it to be right.

alantani

usually there is corrosion along the spool shaft.  also make sure the spool tension knob on the left side plate is carefully backed off all the way. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JRibera

Thanks Alan. I'll open it up again to check it out. Do you have a tutorial for this reel?

JRibera

This 870 doesn't have a spool tension knob on the left plate, just a clicker switch.

day0ne

Quote from: JRibera on April 09, 2014, 07:40:20 PM
This 870 doesn't have a spool tension knob on the left plate, just a clicker switch.

It does if it has cast control. Not really spool tension, it adds drag. Have you checked that the drag cam is installed correctly? I believe it needs to be installed while in the freespool position. Try backing it off also.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

JRibera

Here is what the outside looks like

Bryan Young

Sorry for the short and abrupt answers.  I don't have much time and wanted to respond.

Drags - Did you wipe off the excess drag grease?

Drag Washers - Are the drag washers seated properly?  Try adding some drag and hold the spool and crank the handle.  Do this several times gradually increase the drag pressure.  max 3# would be enough to seat the drags.

Pressure Plate Springs - Are the pressure plate springs worn where the pressure plate is not spaced evenly?

Pre-set knob - is the pre-set know backed off all the way in the  "LESS" direction?

Pinion Gear - Is the pinion gear seated properly in the pinion bearing?  The entire pinion gear pinion bearing collar needs to sit fully in the pinion bearing.

Spool bearing - is one or more of the spool bearing stuck on the shaft limiting movement of the shaft with the pressure plates?

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JRibera

Excellent list of items to take a look at. Let the fun begin.

JRibera

I don't care what my bride says. I do know how to follow directions. Paid attention to the advice and success. It works like brand new. Thank you guys so much. Took it out on Sunday and actually reeled in a 48 inch sturgeon. Worked smooth and strong. Couldn't keep the sturgeon because of local keep restrictions but what fun. Thanks again.