4/10/14 - salmon fishing aboard the f/v irish

Started by alantani, April 11, 2014, 12:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

4/10/14 - salmon fishing aboard the f/v irish

my co-worker, ben, on the left, is really getting into fishing.  it's been alot of fun.  rather than wait for me to go through my boat and take him out, he decided to book the f/v irish from monterey sportfishing.  i'd never heard about this boat before, but decided to go along for the ride!  i'm glad i did. 

i didn't need gear, just pay for the boat ride and tip the deckhand.  speaking of which, meet our deckhand, tim obert.  tim is the "evil" twin, much more rambunctious that his brother dan, but marriage and a new baby on the way have mellowed him out a little.  it was so much fun to see him again.  i've known the two boys since they were 10 years old. 

brad miller is the skipper.

we did not know john and jeff before.  just met them on this trip.  great guys!

the irish is a commercial salmon fishing boat and the skipper is fishing as a 6-pack until commercial salmon fishing opens in 3 weeks.  this is nice because the gurdies and these 50 pound lead weights will help us get down 150 to 250 feet where the salmon are holding. 

these line cutters cut through any submerged crab pot lines that have been snagging so many sportfishing downrigger weights. 

tim set up everything.  two wires with 50 pound weights, one on either side, then stacking three fishing lines on each wire, for a total of six lines in the water. 

the kid is fast and well organized. 

ben stuck one fish off of mulligan's, just south of moss landing.  then nothing for an hour and a half.

the skipper decided to pull the plug on moss landing and head to the west side of soquel hole, where clark got our second fish. 

then it was nothing for two more hours.  10 minutes before we were about to head in, we hit a double. then another double, then two singles and another double and then we were done with 6 limits of salmon.  check out the final fire drill!

my first trip of the season.  had a great day! 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johndtuttle

Haven't been out for Salmon yet, hope to soon :).

Glad you had a great day, fresh salmon is as good as it gets.

Keta

Nice!

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 11, 2014, 12:31:40 AM
I can't see the video yet?

It works for me, here it is again.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

May just be my new iPhone firmware.  I can't see a video icon or link.  No worries.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

rshu

sounds like a great day! enjoy the fresh salmon!

whalebreath

Had a good laugh @ the guy netting two fish with one net-because I've been that guy who's always hoping to do it fast before the first one jumps out-Thanks for posting!

Dominick

Alan:  Thanks for posting the photos.  I now know what a salmon looks like.  :D :D I haven't caught one in a few years.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: mrbrklyn on April 12, 2014, 12:14:37 AM
where is this?
Ruben:  That is south in Monterey California.  That is where the fish are biting.  They are biting up north in Fort Bragg.  The Golden Gate is probably equal distance between the north and south areas.  The fish from the north and south converge to go under the Golden Gate Bridge to go up through the delta to the Sacramento River.  Check it out on Google Earth.  Are your dates for San Francisco still holding?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wascallywabit

Thanks for sharing Alan. Reminds me of running trips on lake Ontario for Kings.

Ed

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

wallacewt

it makes me feel inadaquate when i watch the pros
if the $ is involved its hard work
great video

gstours

Great goin; it looked like fun, and the fish were there too!  every boat is set up different.  I liked the big lead line stacking you did.   you gotta know what your doin. for sure and it paid off with fun and great food.   wish I was along.   thanks for the pictures.   gst.