Penn 650SS Line Roller retrofit?

Started by Blueclaw, April 13, 2014, 09:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueclaw

I have an older (late 70's, early 80's) Penn 650SS reel that I rebuilt 2 years ago.  I went to use it for bottom fishing with 50# braid line recently and it was a real bear to crank in line.  I found that the line roller was not revolving.  Back home, I replaced the line roller and sleeve.  Now it is even worse.  On the table the roller doesn't revolve with 50# mono, it just sits in one position.

So, I guess my question is actually 2 questions:  1)  Is there a retrofit line roller or bail/roller which will work better?  And 2), Is there any way that I can use braid on this reel?

I see where Scott's used to have a retrofit but it is no longer available. 

Thanks

OldSchool

Get a manual conversion kit and replace the whole unit. Your roller will be replaced with stainless. Braid ready good to go. This is one I seen as below so you know what im on about, im sure there is more around if you poke about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANUAL-CONVERSION-KIT-FOR-PENN-REEL-650SS-6500SS-750SS-7500SS-850SS-8500SS-/111298055309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e9e18c8d

Blueclaw

I can see where the bail conversion kit would help for surf fishing, but I'm not sure it would benefit me for bottom fishing.  While fishing, I'm continually opening the bail a bit to drop line and feel for the bottom (using 6 to 8 oz lead).  With the kit, I'd be using my finger to remove the line from the roller and to put it back on the roller.  Would hate to have a fish strike at that moment.  My biggest problem is that the line roller doesn't "roll", it remains stationary as line is retrieved.  I've replaced the roller and sleeve but that doesn't seem to help.  I DID get into my bag of old parts and found a roller from back when the reel was made and it DOES appear to help somewhat.  What I really need is a good bearing style roller.  Thanks for the info though, I may try the kit for surf fishing.

Aiala

Not sure if this would help/interest you, but there seem to be quite a few used 650SS bail assemblies available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=USED+PENN+REEL+PART+-+Penn+650+SS+Spinning+Reel+USA+-+Bail+Assembly&_id=300830124403

~A~   :)
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

johndtuttle

Line rollers on older reels are notorious for freezing up when put away wet with saltwater, which is pretty much anytime you use it if you don't rinse the reel after every use.

have you dis-assembled the roller and found everything to be in working order? If will turn freely if properly assembled and maintained.

Lastly, Braid is slicker than mono and will slide even easier over a frozen roller but getting it working is the best solution.

regards

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i would soak the parts involve for at least 24 hrs in a bath of TSI 301 or 321. it's what i do to level wind parts non-roller bearings(112H) etc... :)

Cone

If you take some metal polish and polish the inside of the roller and the bail where the bushing contacts it, it may help. Clean the polish off and lube it afterwards. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

LTM

Quote from: OldSchool on April 13, 2014, 11:25:07 PM
Get a manual conversion kit and replace the whole unit. Your roller will be replaced with stainless. Braid ready good to go. This is one I seen as below so you know what im on about, im sure there is more around if you poke about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANUAL-CONVERSION-KIT-FOR-PENN-REEL-650SS-6500SS-750SS-7500SS-850SS-8500SS-/111298055309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e9e18c8d

Blue claw, the above mentioned conversion kit does not use BB, I spoke with the guy and he is supposed to be making the BB model. In regards to cleaning/polishing the roller surfaces I use 3M products instead of ANYTHING ELSE to remove rust/stains:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotch-Brite-7448-3M-Ultra-Fine-Hand-Pad-20-count-Gray-Grey-Blue-Scuffing-1-Box-/221411873690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338d2d139a#ht_993wt_924

I use the 7448  on my brushed stainless guns with excellent results. If you need heavier then use the burgandy 7447 pads. I posted some info here on the entire 3M pads somewhere on this forum, just cant find it.

Leo

Blueclaw

Ordered up a line roller conversion kit from the eBay person selling in the link referenced for the conversion kit.  My kit has ball bearings, as desired.  Does anyone know if the intent is to mount the conversion kit directly to the Bail Arm (Penn part# 34-750) or whether to use the Roller Washer (Penn part# 132-750) along with the conversion kit?  Either way there are problems.  If using the Roller Washer, the OD of the new roller/ball bearing won't fit within the lip on the Roller Washer.  If leaving the Roller Washer out of the equation, there is a significant gap between the roller/ball bearing and the Bail Arm, allowing all sorts of crud to clog the roller/bearing.  Any advice would be most welcome.  I'm hoping to get my questions answered by the seller as well.  Thanks

Cone

I haven't used one of his kits but it is listed for the 6500 - 8500ss. If the 6500ss roller washer doesn't fit try one for a 7500ss. I would want the roller washer to help keep the play out and keep the line from getting caught. JMO   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Blueclaw

The item on eBay also says 650ss.  Maybe I need to pull up other parts lists to see what is compatible.  The seller hasn't got back to me.  I'm not expecting a reply.  I think I just blew off $40.  Maybe I should have just ordered a Fin-Nor Lethal 100 and scrapped my 650ss.

Cone

I checked the 132-750 line roller washer fits all 650ss 750ss and 850ss.

Blueclaw

I've been in contact with the seller of the kit.  He's taking it back.  There may some dimensional issues which I hope get corrected.  If so, I'll buy again.  Thanks.

Stuck

There's some part numbers listed in this link, http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD4QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.westernangler.com.au%2Farchive%2F8%2F64586%2F_penn_8500_ss_j&ei=jLaeU-KQC8mykgWqh4D4Dg&usg=AFQjCNGE30oimA0uA59Kv58nhx9_K0-stw , that might help you out as I think the $100 mentioned is the (extortionate :o) Aussie price. Please let me know how you get on as when I tried Penn here in Australia, I was told that those numbers don't exist and that they have no listing of an SSJ series. I've seen the occasional SSJ on Aussie Ebay so I know they exist down here but how they came to be here's anybody's guess.  

Blueclaw

I'm giving up on a ball bearing roller retrofit.  Just sticking with the original roller and I'll work on improving its rotational qualities in my spare time.