Dedrease before Grease.

Started by Chandler, April 17, 2014, 12:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

How do you guys degrease before grease?

Different parts different ways?

Killerbug

I degrease with pure gazoline, as carp cleaner or acetone is too much a health hazard.  
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Shark Hunter

Yes Chandler,
Get the old grease off before applying new. If it hasn't hardened. I just wipe off as much as I can with paper towels. If the grease is Nasty and old. I will use some degreaser first.
Life is Good!

LTM

Quote from: Killerbug on April 17, 2014, 01:41:57 PM
I degrease with pure gazoline, as carp cleaner or acetone is too much a health hazard.  
KB,
What is gazoline? Did a google search and got foregin language without a translator but all were regarding some punk band.

Leo

Shark Hunter

Leo,
The Gazoline is right next to the carp Cleaner! ;)
Life is Good!

akfish

I soak in Simple Green for a few hours then brush off with a tooth brush.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

bluefish69

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 17, 2014, 07:42:01 PM
Leo,
The Gazoline is right next to the carp Cleaner! ;)

Sounded like a Southern Accent
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: akfish on April 17, 2014, 09:10:34 PM
Same here, you could also soak overnight, chrome parts really shine with Simple Green.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Chandler

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 17, 2014, 09:35:36 PM
Quote from: akfish on April 17, 2014, 09:10:34 PM
Same here, you could also soak overnight, chrome parts really shine with Simple Green.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=simply+green&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asimply+green

I found there is a lot of "simple green" products at Amazon.
Which one recommended?

akfish

I use the standard Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner. I don't use the industrial strength stuff. Soak the parts in straight Simple Green for a few hours or over night.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tightlines667

I've tried out a lot of different products, and this stuff definately works the best.  At nearly $20/gal it's a bit on the expensive side, and it will damage painted parts if soaked for more then 15mins undiluted.  Though it cleans metal parts (including corroded ones) very well.  I usually dilute 1:1.  It is a bit harsh and At full strength it will eat through latex gloves in 10-15mins though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I use the Industrial strength in that white Gallon container and dilute 1 to 1 with water.
Life is Good!