Building a drag star

Started by Three se7ens, April 19, 2014, 03:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Yeah, I was just throwing a number into the wind... by no means take offense from my measly offering  ;D ;D

Three se7ens

Quote from: erikpowell on April 22, 2014, 01:54:29 AM
Yeah, I was just throwing a number into the wind... by no means take offense from my measly offering  ;D ;D

No offense taken, every opinion matters.  I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts, no matter how low or high.  That's ultimately going to determine if these are feasible to produce as something other than a one-off part.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I think Everyone's opinion really belongs with the Heavy Hitters Here if this is a go or a no-go. You know who you are, so there is really no reason for name dropping. Me, I don't want to be a party pooper, but the stainless on stainless thing is going to steer me away.
There has been some Awesome innovation invade this place as of recent. I am stepping back on this one.
Adam, You keep up the good work My Man! ;)
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Bula Daron! 
Why is stainless on stainless steering you away bro?
I figured you'd be all over some custom stars.
Whats the scoop man?   ;D

Rothmar2

If Adam can come up with a stainless star for the 114's I'm in for 2 at any price he see's fit to charge.
Great work.

Three se7ens

Quote from: erikpowell on April 24, 2014, 07:26:35 AM
Bula Daron! 
Why is stainless on stainless steering you away bro?
I figured you'd be all over some custom stars.
Whats the scoop man?   ;D

Stainless is prone to galling, but I don't think the right circumstances exist for it to be a problem here. Friction can build up a tremendous about of heat in stainless, and since stainless is such a poor conductor of heat, it can't dissipate it quickly. That heat build up causes parts to basically weld themselves together. But with a drag star, adjustments are typically small and slow, not to mention it's probably going to be greased.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Three se7ens on April 24, 2014, 12:28:09 PM
Stainless is prone to galling, but I don't think the right circumstances exist for it to be a problem here. Friction can build up a tremendous about of heat in stainless, and since stainless is such a poor conductor of heat, it can't dissipate it quickly. That heat build up causes parts to basically weld themselves together. But with a drag star, adjustments are typically small and slow, not to mention it's probably going to be greased.

now i know why some reel manufacturers use bronze and SS for the gears. and if only i have the funds to burn i have an idea which composition/s to use for metal drag washers, pressure plate and drag plate/brake disc.

Irish Jigger

Buttress threaded stars will require a permanent mark on the underside face to assist assembly.

LTM

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 24, 2014, 05:41:01 AM
I think Everyone's opinion really belongs with the Heavy Hitters Here if this is a go or a no-go. You know who you are, so there is really no reason for name dropping. Me, I don't want to be a party pooper, but the stainless on stainless thing is going to steer me away.
There has been some Awesome innovation invade this place as of recent. I am stepping back on this one.
Adam, You keep up the good work My Man! ;)
As Adam states, he needs to hear from EVERYONE not just the socalled "heavy hitters" otherwise just PM the heavy hitters and remove this post until you post the final product. Then see just how SMALL the market will be then. If the price can be held to no more than $25 it will prove to be affordable. If it goes for more it will be cost prohibitive to individuals who need more than one or two units. I think a better question would be to post a poll to find out how many forum users have this particular model of Penn reel(s) to find out what the market IS!!!  BTW Daron, I thought you werent interested!!!

Leo

Leo

Shark Hunter

Just putting in my two cents Leo! ;)
Heavy Hitters are the guys that are going to buy at least six of these to let Adam know if he can go forward on this adventure. Just because I'm not buying any, doesn't mean I can't cheer him on! ;D
Life is Good!

erikpowell

LTM

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 24, 2014, 05:41:01 AM
I think Everyone's opinion really belongs with the Heavy Hitters Here if this is a go or a no-go.

Me, I don't want to be a party pooper, but the stainless on stainless thing is going to steer me away........
Daron,

Your first statement is a contradiction; for if everyone OPINION "BELONGS" with the "Heavy Hitters" then in reality THEY DONT HAVE AN OPINION. Thats why I stated they (heavy hitters) may just as well do this privately WITHOUT THE INPUT FROM THE FORUM MEMBERS. this is just a FACT!!  Otherwise, it sounds like your the Gestappo proclaming the edicts of Hitler!!!

Your last statement has merit and is appreciated for bringing this up.

Leo

Shark Hunter

I can remove it if you like Leo. :-*
I really don't see the problem here. I guess I better stop using the term heavy hitters.
I didn't realize it was related to Hitler or the Gestappo?
The guys that are going to buy several right off the bat, rather than one here and there is all that I meant. You are not going to get an argument here Buddy! ;D
Lets Kiss and Make Up! :-*
Its all good! I apologize if I offended you. ;)
Daron
Life is Good!

LTM

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 25, 2014, 08:28:57 AM
I can remove it if you like Leo. :-*
I really don't see the problem here. I guess I better stop using the term heavy hitters.
I didn't realize it was related to Hitler or the Gestappo?
The guys that are going to buy several right off the bat, rather than one here and there is all that I meant. You are not going to get an argument here Buddy! ;D
Lets Kiss and Make Up! :-*
Its all good! I apologize if I offended you. ;)
Daron

Daron,

Im defending the main focus of a "Forum" which is OPEN DISCUSSION and Adams "request" to get the opinions of the forum MEMBERS and not a SELECT FEW.

Moving on, I was wondering if regarding the galling issue if this could be tested/simulated by a prolonged static test with increasing amounts of drag (say from 20-45#) for an extended amount of time to simulate a prolonged  fight with a fish?

Leo