Help with fin nor marquesa 30ii

Started by FishnNauru, April 22, 2014, 03:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishnNauru

Hey gang,
I'm trying to dismantle my fin nor marquesa 30 two speed and am stuck.
I can't remove the preset knob or the two speed shift button...I have the schematics but have no idea.
Here is a link to the schematics
http://www.tackleservice.com/bps/zebco/tackleservice/knowledge/ma30ii%20schematic_7f29dc5d-9_.pdf

Any one worked on these reels and been able to remove these two, and if so how did you do it?
Trying not to force anything, and wanted help from the experts before I break something.
Let me know if you can help.
Adam in Nauru

I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

Tightlines667

I serviced a heavily used one of these last summer.  If memory serves me, it just screws off of the spool shaft.  Just make sure the lever is backed all the way off, hold the spool shaft in place and rotate the cap counterclockwise until it unscrews completly from the shaft and can be lifted up and off.

Be aware that there are springs inside.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FishnNauru

Hey tightlines, i tried unscrewing it from the shaft but no joy.
I have the drag set to freespool but it won't unscrew. Have put a Allen key through the hole in the shaft but knob and shaft still won't come apart.
On the schematics it looks like the preset knob cap with the two holes in it separates from the other part of the knob...is that right, or is it just one piece? Looks like there was a screw inside to keep the knob attached to the spool shaft.
Any idea with the two speed shift button?
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

Robert Janssen

The (decorative) cap unscrews from the knob, permitting access to the retaining screw underneath. A pin wrench, or two pins and an adjustable spanner, or a set of 90* retaining clip pliers would be helpful for this.

( i think, btw, that some of the smaller reels might not have a concealed screw, which is why Tightlines' knob simply came off )

Edit: Idunno about the shift knob. But, it got there somehow, so it probably comes off wohemos:  the reverse of the first somehow.

Dave Bentley

Hi Fish, the screw under the gold cap is reverse thread, turn right to undo and viceversa.

I use a pair of tweezers to unscrew the gold cap.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

rustyreel

I have the 20!! and boy I am struggling to get that Gold end cap off, does Fin Nor supply a tool for this job!!

I am worried that if I make something it will slip and scratch the face of the cap.

Gregor..

Hanker

You can use the tweezers if you can't find more suitable tool to disassemble the Cover.
Hold the Cap and Insert tweezers' two feet into the holes, turn anti-clockwise.

coores14

reviving this thread because I'm having trouble removing the handle/2speed mechanism, as well.

Anyone ever figure it out?

exp2000

Quotereviving this thread because I'm having trouble removing the handle/2speed mechanism, as well.

Anyone ever figure it out?

I am working on a 20 2-speed at the moment so I will let you know f I figure it out unless of course you already have?

The belleville washer configuration is 5,6,)()(),8,8.

Can anyone confirm this?
~

exp2000

Progressively, the keys to disassembly are:

1. The silver button on the handle side

This unscrews from the shift shaft allowing access to the underlying gear switch mechanisms and ultimately the   
    handle itself.

2. The shaft screw in the under gear set.

The shaft has flats on the other end that you can grip with a tiny sifter allowing you to turn the screw.

This allows access to the lower section gear mechanism.

3. The C-clip on the outer end shift shaft.

This allows removal of the upper gear shift springs and removal of the shaft itself.

4. The crank shaft

This can be gently pressed or drifted back through the anti- reverse bearing completing disassembly.

exp2000

The first picture shows the lower position gear set which is held in place by a circlip.
It also shows the disassembly of the handle shift mechanisms.

The second picture shows the removal and disassembly of the shift shaft and the crank shaft parts.

The crank shaft acts as the inner sleeve for the A/R bearing in this design.

In this particular ,reel the A/R bearing rollers had left distinct impressions on the crank shaft necessitating it's replacement. Seizure and dysfunction of the anti reverse pawl possibly contributed to extra loading resulting in this.
~

Nasty Wendy

The 2 speed button can be a little tricky.  The little multi tool that comes with those reels has a part that grabs the shaft that the button screws onto.  Sometimes you won't need it but when you do then you do.  The shaft will rotate with the button if that tool or something like it isn't holding the shaft still while you unscrew the button.  Remove the retention plate that surrounds the shift button, it should be one screw probably a torx.  The ring that you rotate to shift back into high speed should lift right off.  This will expose the area of the shaft that the little tool can slip on and grab like a little wrench and that'll allow you to unscrew the button.
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

coores14

thanks everyone. I did finally figure it out on my own, but not after a few choice words came from my mouth. It's not exactly a common way of doing a 2-speed, but once it clicked for me it wasn't all that difficult. Again, thanks for all of the detailed replies. It'll surely be a huge help to someone down the road!

exp2000

Quote from: Nasty Wendy on March 19, 2018, 03:58:57 PM
The 2 speed button can be a little tricky.  The little multi tool that comes with those reels has a part that grabs the shaft that the button screws onto.  Sometimes you won't need it but when you do then you do.  The shaft will rotate with the button if that tool or something like it isn't holding the shaft still while you unscrew the button.  Remove the retention plate that surrounds the shift button, it should be one screw probably a torx.  The ring that you rotate to shift back into high speed should lift right off.  This will expose the area of the shaft that the little tool can slip on and grab like a little wrench and that'll allow you to unscrew the button.

Ahhhhh! So that's what those prongs are for!
~