Other types of drag washers

Started by FatTuna, April 23, 2014, 10:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

Hey guys, are there other types of drag washers to use other then HT-100 or Carbontex? I mean I know there are other types of washers but I am looking for something that is modern and has decent quality but is cheaper. I know that carbon fiber is the best but some of the replacement kits for the older Penns are expensive. It's $12 for the Penn 114.

I just bought a case of reels which include: Squidders, Jigmasters, Penn 111s, 112s, 114s, ect. All of the drags need to be replaced and I am looking to resell some of them and keep the rest. I want to keep costs down because things start to add up quick. I plan to use carbon fiber for the reels in decent shape but would like to find something cheaper for the beat up ones. Thanks.

Shark Hunter

The best way to save money is go with carbon fiber, but buy a sheet of it and cut your own. Its tedious, but it saves money.
I outline the washer, cut it as close as I can with scissors and dremel to fit. A lot of guys here use punch kits to cut them out a lot quicker, but that would be defeating your purpose of saving money.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

That sounds perfect; where is the best place to get the full sheets?

DaBigOno

Quote from: fatstriper on April 23, 2014, 10:14:38 PM

Wallace!

But, I would suggest that you just clean & lube the reels you're going to sell.  

Although carbon fiber, HT-100's and Carbontex are your best bet for replacement drag washers, I don't think you'll see much if any ROI, even if you cut your own.

BTW,  If you're selling a Penn 111, I might be interested...

Splurge on the reels you intend to keep.    :)

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

If you are just looking to sell them. Post them up here in the fishing tackle section or Buy, Sell, Trade. Without adding the new drags.
Al, I thought Wallace was only selling thinner cf? This guy has a good deal too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Drag-Sheet-Fishing-Reel-Upgrade-/121243650722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c3aaf4aa2
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Quote from: Dabigono on April 24, 2014, 12:28:20 AM
Quote from: fatstriper on April 23, 2014, 10:14:38 PM

Wallace!

I take it that Wallace is a member on this site?

I think I might try the punch method. It sounds like it might be a good investment in the long run. I have a lot of fishing reels haha.

I already cleaned and lubed all of the reels except a few. I'm the perfectionist type so I spent a lot of time on them. The reels range in condition; I am trying to sell a few that I already have or just want to unload. The rest I'm going to keep. I'm open to trades too. My phone is dead so I'll have to post pictures later. The Penn 111 I plan on selling though. I might have a few more reels coming in too.

Keta

You might ask Dawn if she will give you a price break on a large order of Carbontex washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Here is Wallace's sheet. He only sells up to 1mm. (He is in Australia)
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9436.0
I mainly use larger Senators. 6/0 and up. The stock HT-100's are roughly 1.33.
I'd say get a quote from Dawn first. Those would already be cut, or buy a sheet from the ebay link I posted and make your own. Get the .120.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure I'll learn so much about drags by doing it this way.

I'll post up some reels in the buy, sell, trade forum as soon as I get a chance.

First day of fishing for me tomorrow! I can't wait. It's been a long winter; time to start hammering some fish.

alantani

i considered going into the drag washer business, for maybe a microsecond.  it's messy work.  i'm happy to let dawn do this. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

If Dawn does not have what I need she usually has something I can make what I need out of.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Quote from: fatstriper on April 23, 2014, 10:03:33 PM
I know that carbon fiber is the best but some of the replacement kits for the older Penns are expensive. It's $12 for the Penn 114.

First of all, any Penn's may already have HT-100 drag washers. You need to check first, as they usually can be reused. Second, if it is a plain 114, the washers are only $1.40 each. You need 5. The $12 kit includes new metal washers. The 114H costs $1.95 a washer or $11.05 for the kit with new metal washers. The metal washers are seldom needed, unless you have an old reel with brass washers. The HT-100's are what Penn's come with from the factory and a large portion of the Penn's only have 3 washers. BTW, cutting your own washers for that many reels will be a P.I.T.A. and won't save you any money. I've cut my own when no carbontex was available, so I know. Another point, Ht-100 are usually much thicker than the available carbontex sheets, so you would have to stack extra washers in the drag. Like I said, you need to check the reels first to see what they have in them and replace washers on a reel to reel basis.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

FatTuna

Quote from: day0ne on April 25, 2014, 06:01:17 PM
Quote from: fatstriper on April 23, 2014, 10:03:33 PM
I know that carbon fiber is the best but some of the replacement kits for the older Penns are expensive. It's $12 for the Penn 114.

First of all, any Penn's may already have HT-100 drag washers. You need to check first, as they usually can be reused. Second, if it is a plain 114, the washers are only $1.40 each. You need 5. The $12 kit includes new metal washers. The 114H costs $1.95 a washer or $11.05 for the kit with new metal washers. The metal washers are seldom needed, unless you have an old reel with brass washers. The HT-100's are what Penn's come with from the factory and a large portion of the Penn's only have 3 washers. BTW, cutting your own washers for that many reels will be a P.I.T.A. and won't save you any money. I've cut my own when no carbontex was available, so I know. Another point, Ht-100 are usually much thicker than the available carbontex sheets, so you would have to stacjavascript:void(0);k extra washers in the drag. Like I said, you need to check the reels first to see what they have in them and replace washers on a reel to reel basis.

I already opened, cleaned, and greased most of them; most have the old brass with leather (I think it's leather) washers. One or two had reusable carbon fiber washers. I was planning on replacing the metal washers on most of them.

Do you know if it's a bad idea to reuse the brass washers combined with the new metal washers?

I just read though Alan's tutorial on making drag washers. I was not aware that the dust from the washers is really hazardous to ones health. This has me second guessing this project. Is the punch method "safe"?

Irish Jigger

Nothing wrong with the brass washers.
Get rid of the leather ones.
Be safe, buy some new HT100 washers, and make a job of it.

Shark Hunter

That's Good Advice Tom. ;)
The main reason I got into cutting my own was the Hex drags in the BP gears. These couldn't be bought at the time, and now .140 sheet is hard to get. The 5 Stack in the smaller squidders and Surfmasters with Bryans custom Washers required cutting them as well out of .50 Sheet.
On the larger Senators. Scotts wants $3.20 each for a 12/0 washer and $4.60 for a 14/0 HT-100 washer. The .120 sheet fits the bill here and you get to add one more to the stack. The savings is substantial. ;)
Life is Good!