Penn Senator 10/0

Started by Tailin strange, April 24, 2014, 02:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tailin strange

Looking to upgrade the drag on this reel with some carbontex washers although I'm not sure what size to go with. I cant find any info on if its the same as a 12/0 or not. I use this reel as a wire line rod for wahoo trolling with an electric reel attached to it. thanks

Shark Hunter

The internals on a 10/0 are exactly the same as a 12/0. it is just a narrow spool model of the 12 and it hasn't been made for quite a while. You can make your own out of sheet or buy them from scotts bat and tackle. Dawn doesn't carry the bigger Senator drags.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Drag-Sheet-Fishing-Reel-Upgrade-/121243650722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c3aaf4aa2
Life is Good!

Tailin strange

sweet thanks!! I'll have to take the reel apart and get a measurement on everything and cut my own. What do you recommend cutting them with? Any idea what the thickness is for the washers and how many so I know how many sheets to buy?

Shark Hunter

The individual drag washers are $3.20 each on Scotts. Wow! I think their prices have went up. That's why I cut my own.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-116.aspx
If you are going to cut your own, get a sheet of the .120 from the link I posted above. You only need one sheet. If your reel has the old asbestos five stack, you are going to need more metal washers to make it a seven or eight stack. You will also probably have to cut one for under the main gear. What I do, is cut the washer as close as you can with scissors from the old one as a template. Have the sleeve and main gear in front of you and dremel them with a sanding wheel to fit as close as possible to the edges in the main gear. Then dremel or drill for the center hole and check the fit on the sleeve as you go.
Its a tedious process, you just have to take your time and don't take too much off.
If you need more metal washers to make the taller stack. Send me a pm and I'll send you what you need.
All you really need is the sheet, a dremel tool and a sanding wheel.
Check out some of my posts in the Senator section and it will help you to understand the orientation of the drag washers and metal washers. You need anything else, just Holla! ;)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

erikpowell

I'm still seething about my 10/0 spool that hit the floor  :o :o 

Shark Hunter

Erik,
You Dawg! I'm really getting tired of you whining about that spool! :D
PM me your Mama's address and I'll send you another one. Don't let your girlfriend anywhere near it! ;D
I have enough parts on hand to build 2 of them. Since Jamie sent me that Bad #### Imron coated 12/0 spool. I'll make one a 12 and one a 10. Its not in perfect shape, but it is a 10/0 one piece spool that is the Holy Grail as far as I'm concerned! ;D
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Daron is the man when it comes to the big Penn's!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

erikpowell

Quote from: Dabigono on April 25, 2014, 10:23:01 AM

Boom.... Yeeeah !  ;D  Agreed!

Al, the 9/0 arrived  8) and is in customs clearance..with any luck I'll have it in my grubby hands on Tuesday.

Vinaka vakalevu bruddah ... we'll make Daron proud  ;D

DaBigOno

Quote from: erikpowell on April 25, 2014, 11:22:44 AM
Boom.... Yeeeah !  ;D  Agreed!
Al, the 9/0 arrived  8) and is in customs clearance..with any luck I'll have it in my grubby hands on Tuesday.
Vinaka vakalevu bruddah ... we'll make Daron proud  ;D

I look forward to some pics of the build
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dabigono on April 25, 2014, 10:23:01 AM
I am just an ant in the shadow of "Sal Almighty!" ;D
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Daron, you made my morning buddy...and the girlfriends too !  ;D ;D ;D
Too funny..