Newell G447

Started by lawaialuu, April 25, 2014, 03:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawaialuu

Aloha all,
I hope you guys can help me with this, but I just got a Newell G447 and I took the screws out of the left side plate to replace the clicker dog and when I was screwing everything back together, the screw that screws into the frame post got stuck. When I tried to back the screw out, the whole post spins. I'm not sure if I cross threaded it (I hope not) but has anyone encountered this and if so, how did you fix it?

Frank

If it's a "G" series it should have threaded brass inserts in the graphite frame post. It should come out if you grasp the post with your thumb and forefinger. When you first started to thread the screw in was there any resistance?
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

bluefish69

Each post has 2 screws on each side. Screw by hand another screw next to the one that won't come out. Then remove the tough one. I would retap the bad hole.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

lawaialuu

Thanks for the responses guys! But I think I
may have described the wrong thing. It's the the chrome bar that sits between the two harness lugs at the top of the reel.

bluefish69

just hold it with a plier on the inside & use a screw driver

Mike

lawaialuu

Yeah, I tried doing that but the pliers started to scratch that bar because when I tried unscrewing the screw.

bluefish69

Wrap the bar with 1 turn of a wash cloth & use plier

lawaialuu

Ok, I got it finally! Thanks for the help Mike!

Frank

Quote from: lawaialuu on April 25, 2014, 05:00:34 PM
Thanks for the responses guys! But I think I
may have described the wrong thing. It's the the chrome bar that sits between the two harness lugs at the top of the reel.

I've dealt with that one before. Galled threads. Stainless bar and screws. Yeah, it can really lock up. Glad you got it out.

In the past I've found several wraps of masking tape on the bar and a piece of cardboard in the pliers jaws to help greatly in scratch prevention.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Newell Nut

Another thing you can use as I do and that is to cut a piece of an old bicycle inner tube or something similar. Makes a good grip and good cushion.

lawaialuu

Thanks for all the tips! I will keep that in mind for future reference!

lawaialuu

Now...another issue...I've been at this for a few hours now and it's not working. But I had to replace the clicker tongue on this reel so I heard that I could use a Penn clicker switch and clicker tongue to replace the original Newell one. But, when I install it and seal the reel back up, the spool sounds like it's rubbing the clicker tongue and it gets stuck and won't crank. Even when the clicker is switched to the off position. Any ideas?

Newell Nut

Does your reel have a metal sprocket on the spool? If the spool sprocket is plastic you can buy a complete plastic Newell clicker assembly from chowderpuff7@yahoo.com and new as well.

What you have may work but you have to adjust the spool with the little plastic spacer washers that go on the bearings that move the spool from one side to the other. You have to get the spool spaced properly for clickers to work right.

You could box it up and send to Bryan or myself and we can fix it before you destroy the reel.

lawaialuu

Thanks Newell Nut! I appreciate the offer! But I decided against using the 4/0 clicker tongue. The spool on my 447 is graphite, but it does have a metal sprocket that contacts the clicker tongue. I think I have an earlier generation G series where they used a graphite spool with the metal sprocket. So, instead of using the 4/0 clicker tongue I'm gonna pull the stainless steel clicker tongue from my P344 and see if that will work in my 447 without too much adjusting. Then, I think I'm gonna use uluahuntahs idea and order the Penn 309M clicker tongue and see if it will work on my 344 without giving me too much hassles. I'm assuming uluahuntahs idea should work, as he did the Penn clicker conversion on a 300 series Newell. But, if I do encounter too many hassles, I may take you up on your offer.  ;D

Bryan Young

If you are on Oahu, Uluahuntah may be able to help.  You can find him in Facebook if you are not already a member under the ulua fishing or 808 ulua fishing or something like that.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D