SL20SH Frame Install

Started by SoCalAngler, April 26, 2014, 05:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I ordered a SL20SH frame kit form SoCal Fishing and Hunting and am very pleased with what I received. Before I placed my order through their web site I had a few questions and Mike at SCFH responded very quickly to the e-mails I sent.

Here is a look at the new frame compared with the reel. As you can see the new frame is smaller in size than the stock.

Lets take a look at what came in the kit. I got the frame, pinion bearing, clutch lever. allen head screws and allen wrenches. The screws at the bottom of the picture are all extras and are replacements for the 3 different type of screws used, also the frame came lightly coated in a thin oil which I assume is Break Free CLP that they talk about on their site. I think the extra screws and oil are nice touches.

Remove left side plate and take out spacer, bearing A and bearing washer A.

Install spacer, bearing A and bearing washer into new side plate. Grease new side plate and set aside.

Remove right side plate and take off clutch lever. Use clutch lever spring, screw, washer and clutch lever cam to install new clutch lever onto new side plate. Grease and set aside.

Next comes the spool. The click gear will fit into the new frame with out any problem.

I chose to remove them though. Remove c-clip, click gear and click spring.

Remove drive shaft retainer, drive shaft, bearing and drive shaft washer from old side plate. Install shaft retainer, drive shaft, bearing and drive shaft washer into new side plate using screws provided. Oil and install new pinion bearing into frame. Make sure to grease all of the new screws during the installation as they come dry.

While I'm in the reel I'm going to swap out the stock drags with greased Carbontex.

Bend down the dog spring a little to get a better hold in the pocket of the new side plate.

Reassemble right side.

Don't forget to remove the O-ring for the spool tension cap and install it onto the new side plate.

Install right side plate, spool and then left side plate and your done. Below the reel are the extra screws, saved if ever needed.

I added a new Tiburon handle today to finish off this reel. The handle comes with a screw that I thought would either work with the Daiwa handle nutcap or hold the handle nut in place without the nutcap. Neither was the case, once the handle nut is installed the screw hole is to far away to stop the nut from turning when the screw is installed. With the nutcap installed the screw hole does not line up without some modification to the nutcap. The nutcap hole must be moved closer to the handle nut by about a 1/32" also the area where the screwhead stops on the nutcap must be plunged deeper do to the shorter screw from Tiburon. Lastly the through hole in the nutcap must be made larger to fit the new wider screw.

A little roto tool work and all is well.

DaBigOno

I like what you did SoCal.   It loos like a smaller and stronger reel for sure.   I like the way it took out the old gold trim.

How the free spool?  What was the cost of the frame kit??  How long did it take for the conversion???

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

SoCalAngler

Alan made a sticky of a post I did earlier on this board called "Slosh Frames" which has a link to SoCal-Fishing-Hunting. Though I use SoCal as part of my web handle, I have no relationship to the people that make the frames other than buying one from them.

The cost is $50 for the kit plus shipping and tax for me because I'm in California. Freespool is good with 25 sesonds on the cleaned and TSI lubed bearings. I have not tested the max drag pressure yet because I bought the reel used and it has 12lb test spooled on it. Once I spectra back the reel and add a 30lb topshot I'll post what kind of drag pressure I'm getting. This reel will be used for a 30lb test live bait setup.

The conversion took about 30 minutes with cleaning/lubing the brearings and taking pictures.

The overall size of the reel is very close to a Avet SX. Many people have been asking Avet to make star drag reels and with this conversion think I'm as close to a SX in size as I can get without the Avet name on it.

Edit: Just to make sure everyone knows this frame has no clicker or reel clamp.

doradoben

Very nice SoCal. I have an x-20shv that I converted last season. It was an easy conversion and the frame seemed to have very tight tolerances. You will be pleased with your reel. Any ideas for the best solution for a clamp?

SoCalAngler

Tiburon and Daiwa both make clamps that may work but I havn't tried either.

Ron Jones

I have a Tib clamp in the mail from Mike's. I intend to see if it will work on the factory frame before I buy one of these. I talked to SoCal a few months ago and he said he'd have frames in April, glad he got them done.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

LTM

SoCal,

Did you find out how well the spool holds up with braid yet?

Leo

doradoben

Noyb, when Reelspeed was still on this board, he had 2 converted SHA's (20 and 30) that were for sale. It seems like the 30 was the only one that had an aftermarket clamp. I don't recall why it wouldn't fit the narrow. 

Ron Jones

I don't know either. Diawa says their clamp will fit the Luna 300, which is WAY smaller than a SLH-20.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

Not sure when I'll spectra back the reel but when I do hopefully the guys at one of the shops I go to will let me try the clamps for the fit. I like the Tib clamps for the black color and costing less than the Daiwa doesn't hurt either ;)

SoCalAngler

Ron what size Tiburon clamp did you order?

Ron Jones

I actually don't remember but it is the one Moke's said would fit the ProGear Pacifica 2000 I got from Bryan. I am hoping it will fit the SLH because I also recently picked up a backbone clamp. For those of you who don't know I recomend checking those out if you are missing a clamp. Stupid cheap and very well made. If the Tib clamp fits the Diawa then I'll get another Backbone for the Pacifica. The backbone on my Newelled BayMaster is awesome.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

El Pescador

Noyb72,

PLEASE take some photos of the clamp when it arrives, love to see how it fits in the SL20SH Frame,

I purchased the SLX20SHA from Reelspeed (via  Bryan), and will want to get my hands on the same clamp if it works well for you.  Thanks.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7779.0

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bryan Young

If you search in ebay tiburon reel clamp, this is something that could be used.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D