HELP????motion sickness or sea sickness....HELP????

Started by cmaraj1, May 06, 2014, 01:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I'm over the bridge and far away in Dublin.  (Not Ireland).  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: Rancanfish on May 31, 2015, 05:28:17 PM
I can relate F-Paul, if you are saying you lost a good fishing buddy.  

My best ocean fishing bud moved to some god-forsaken place called Oregon, and my mentor for stripers and salmon died of stomach cancer, seems like yesterday.  I kinda faded away for awhile but I'm getting back.

I'll get my sea legs again I hope.  But I'm going in my boat so I can go back home if I like.  :D

Our fishing club fished boat club matches for master angler points
which when qualified the master angler of each club would fish
against each other and top 5 from england,scotland,wales
and ireland would make the team and fish for the world
championships.

8-12 anglers in a boat and on memory i remember i had
10 good size pollock lead heading before anyone else
got even a touch in the first 30' or so, i ended up in last
place, 29 fish won it, that's all i had for the rest of the
day.

I was not worthy to fish with such class and the craic
was brill, mad as hatters, great bunch of guys.

I really miss the club, when i won the master angler
on the shore John (same sec) made the club pay my
entry fee, other clubs you pay your own way.

Life goes so fast, enjoy every minute of it guys, we
are so lucky when you think about it.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on May 06, 2014, 10:21:14 PM
.......... In Mexico they sell meclizine under the name Bonadoxina.  Use it the day and evening before you fish and it will work wonders.  Dominick

I tried everything, and as many said, you want to die, well not really but you want to never be on a boat again, but as soon as a friend call you to go fishing you say.. lets do it... ;D.. that was me.

until I tried Cinnarizine, as far as I know its no longer sold in USA (an US friend told me), but we have plenty in Mexico  ;D ;D ;)
if you ever have the chance to try it, do it.. Im not a Doctor, so dont quote me on this, but its not harder on your body than bonine, dramamine, etc..

now I can fish like I always wanted, worrying it only for the fishing and enjoying the day on the water, the breeze, ride on the boat and all the great show that mother nature give you on every fishing trip.

The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

OK, Bryan and I will await your package in the mail labelled 'fish hooks'.

;D ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

handi2

If anyone on my boat starts to feel bad I throw a rope out back and tell them to get in the water. It cools them off and stops the sickness. For a while anyway..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

anglingarchitect

Quote from: bluefish69 on May 06, 2014, 03:19:03 AM
The Patch is Transderm - V  = Scapotermine You need a script for these & you can use them for 72 straight hours

Spelling doesn't count

Mike

This stuff is majic when i go for all day or three days it still works if you can keep it behind your ear.

johndtuttle

Quote from: handi2 on April 15, 2016, 12:33:30 AM
If anyone on my boat starts to feel bad I throw a rope out back and tell them to get in the water. It cools them off and stops the sickness. For a while anyway..!

If you let them drive it cures it.  ;)

sdlehr

IMO Oldschool nailed it in reply #7. Motion (sea - same thing) sickness happens when your brain gets conflicting information from your eyes and from your inner ear. The inner ear is the organ of balance. It lets you know when you are moving, and in what direction, or when you are rotating, and in what direction (rotating, moving, same thing). When that tells you you are moving, but your eyes tell you you are not (as in when you look at the boat that is moving with you, so it appears stationary) - you get nauseous. That is why it is recommended that you look at the horizon - it eliminates the conflicting information from your eyes - so both agree. Diesel fumes make motion sickness much worse.

That being said, I'm sure there are conditions that would make even the most seasoned sailor nauseous. Meclizine and dramamine work for most in my experience. Both are available over-the-counter. Meclizine comes as Bonine (trade name) otc in 25mg size. To get 50mg you need a prescription. If it was me I'd take two 25mg doses.

I'm a veterinarian and have to deal with this problem when dogs get car sick. It's the same phenomenon. I've never seen or heard of a cat with motion sickness, even though they are often in carriers which prevents them from looking out the window and reconciling their eyes with their inner ears; there are species differences.

Sid

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

fishead6n

Even though this is an old thread, it is one that will probably be looked at frequently...That being said, I am a retired USCG PA and have treated seasickness for 30 years.  Any of the aforementioned anti-nausea meds will help.  The problem with them is the drowsiness they cause.  In the old days on board ship, the crew still had to stand watch so drowsiness was not an option.  The standard back then was Phenergan or Dramamine for nausea and with it Ephedrine (off the market now), the stimulant to ramp up the nervous system (think of the seasick guy, like my brother, that goes completely well when the rods start singing, that's the idea) 

Anyway, nowadays we use one of the above or scopalomine, or even hyoscyamine (also known as Levsin) and then add Dexedrine 5mg or even Adderall 5-10mg to it for an unbeatable combination.  Levsin is very mild but very effective and when combined with Dexedrine, it is pretty much magic.  Obviously, you need to talk to your Doctor, PA, or NP for a prescription.

One story: On a charter out of Morehead City, NC 10 years ago, one of the guys was a type 1 diabetic and in 8-10ft seas he started vomiting nonstop; a very dangerous situation for someone on insulin.  We gave him a shot of Phenergan and then 20 minutes later a Dexedrine and in 20 minutes he was eating (I swear to you) Sardines and crackers.  Saved the day, possibly a helicopter ride or worse.  I hope this helps anyone not doing well on the standard OTC medications.

boon

My 2c for an old thread;

Down in these parts pretty much everyone swears by "Paihia Bombs", a concoction sold by the Paihia Pharmacy.
Some digging around the internets suggests that the active ingredients are Hyoscine and Phomethazine (Phenergan)
You used to be able to buy them online direct but I couldn't find them on the site any more :(

Brian Perez

I was seasick once on a ship. I ate a banana and drink some water. It helped!
My friend is the only one who keeps telling me to bet. I'm going to make bets at cheltenham festival. I just need it. It's like betting football and baseball.

sharkman

Charter Captain told me one time to take sea sickness medicine night before, hours before trip, eat light, drink plenty fluids, and watch land till it disappears.

wailua boy

I've noticed if you can jump behind the wheel, it really seems to alleviate seasickness; may not always be feasible buts keeps you alert and looking ahead.