Newell 344 with Tiburon frame

Started by lawaialuu, May 06, 2014, 01:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawaialuu

Ok, I'm not sure what to do about this, but I'm sure you guys have great ideas that maybe you could share with me. So, I just installed my Tiburon 344 frame on my P344, but I can't put the top screws back in because there is nothing for those screws to screw on to and so now there's two holes (one on each side plate) that just stare at me. I've been told that it would be fine to leave those screws out, but somehow the reel just doesn't look right. I don't want to put the post back, because now that I have the Tiburon frame, I don't need that post at the top (and besides, it looks much, much nicer as an open faced reel anyway) so is there some kind of threaded piece I could put there to screw the screws into so that those holes at the top of the side plates don't glare at me everytime I fish that reel and the screws don't keep falling off? I'd really appreciate all of your advice. Thanks in advance!

Bryan Young

You might be able to use the screw plug (part no. 3-205).

I think it would be best to keep the support bar on top.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

lawaialuu

Ok, thanks Brian! This might sound stupid but, is that part number a Penn part number or a part number from somewhere else? Even with the Tiburon frame you think I should still use the post?

Newell Nut

You need the threaded inserts and I have them. PM me and I can send them to you and no need for a bar on top. Keep it clean. I used to sell them on ebay and then sales slowed so I pulled them off.

Bryan Young

Quote from: lawaialuu on May 06, 2014, 11:08:01 PM
Ok, thanks Brian! This might sound stupid but, is that part number a Penn part number or a part number from somewhere else? Even with the Tiburon frame you think I should still use the post?
It's a newell part number.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

lawaialuu

Thanks Brian! Sorry for asking the question about the part being a Penn part, but I asked because I didn't think there were any companies that had Newell parts anymore. Also not questioning your knowledge or anything, I'm genuinely interested in why you think I should keep the top post. do you think there's a chance the reel could still twist even with the Tiburon frame?

Bryan Young

I provided the Newell Part Number because I was referring to the schematics...that doesn't seem to be working right now on our site.  That way you would have an idea what it looks like and could go to  a shop like Brian's Fishing Supply to show them and explain to them what you need.

For me, the 344 is a little wide, and think the support of the top bar is a good idea.  No scientific basis for my comment.  I think Tiburon should have wrapped the frame around to support the upper sideplate.  That's all.

lawaialuu

Oh, ok. Yeah, I went over to Brian's to get the frame and I was asking him about it and he didn't have the threaded inserts. In fact, I was talking to him about someone else buying Newell and starting it up again (he doesn't it'll happen and he has a very good point on why he doesn't think so) and how hard it is to get parts. He still has some parts, but not a lot.

About the post on the top of the reel, that's a very good point! I didn't think about that. Yeah, I'm surprised that only the frames for 400-600 series reels and up have rings that attach to the reel's inner rings and side plates but the frames for the 200-300 series don't. So, I don't know.