How to make gear engagement manual vs. automatic

Started by pompano joe, May 07, 2014, 02:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Pull the button back and crank the handle to engage.  This was a great hack.
-steve

fishhawk

Is there another fix? Not that I don't have a problem with cutting notches but a couple of my 'bassadeur's  7000's have double bars and I would think that you would have to cut both bars and they better be true. Right?????
Mark

Cor

Quote from: pompano joe on May 07, 2014, 04:37:15 PM
..........  I've modified one already by removing the bottom of the clutch bar and the small spring from the clutch module.  Turning the handle no longer engages the gears.  I push the button down to cast, then pull it back up to engage.  It works...just a little awkward.  Wondering if anyone else has a better solution?

Ive done this to 3 of my Shimano's that I use for artificial lure angling so I make huge number of casts and retrieves.  I can't say it's awkward at all but what I have found is that on the reel i've used the most, is that there is some sort of play developing on the side of the "Clutch Bar" and because of the slight flex in it it is beginning to stick and not disengage easily.   
Cornelis

Fishit 2

Quote from: fishhawk on July 15, 2017, 03:58:30 PM
Is there another fix? Not that I don't have a problem with cutting notches but a couple of my 'bassadeur's  7000's have double bars and I would think that you would have to cut both bars and they better be true. Right?????
Mark
No need to do this with the 7000's since you need to engage the crank more than one turn to activate the clutch. I do this mod with my Dremel in under 5 seconds - no need to use a hacksaw.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

fishhawk

Quote from: Fishit 2 on August 08, 2017, 03:17:20 PM
Quote from: fishhawk on July 15, 2017, 03:58:30 PM
Mark
No need to do this with the 7000's since you need to engage the crank more than one turn to activate the clutch. I do this mod with my Dremel in under 5 seconds - no need to use a hacksaw.

getting in gear is no problem, The reel staying in free spool is the problem. Kinda dangerous to sling a 1/4 lb of lead as hard as you can only to have it recoil back at you when reel prematurely engages.
Thanx
Mark