Newell 332 Upgrade with Tiburon

Started by gallegn, May 07, 2014, 11:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallegn

Hi all,
I'm thinking about doing some upgrading on my Newell 332-5 no letter.  I'm planning on getting the Tiburon frame, titanium bearing cup, an aluminum star drag, and aluminum clicker all in hot rod red to make it stand out on the rack and give me something new to play with.  Has anyone done a Tiburon upgrade on a 332?  I'm just wondering if the supplied hardware from Tiburon is sufficient or if there are any unplanned parts that I may need to get when I do the upgrade.  I've read that the upgrades on the larger Newells leave open holes on the reel where the top post used to go.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Newell Nut

Tiburon will give you everything you need. Do you currently have a top bar? There should only be a top bar if you had a J model for jigging.

If you have a top bar and want to remove it I still have the threaded inserts that fill the space and clamp the side plates to the rings.

gallegn

Thanks for the quick response.  The 332 doesn't have a top bar so I guess I should be good with the upgrade kit.  I'm looking forward to making my old reel into a 'New' reel.

Newell Nut

Make sure you use grease between the Tiburon frame and the SS Newell rings. If you do not you will get corrosion there from salt. Make sure you grease every thread of the new screws that will go into the Tiburon body. SS plus alum plus salt water is bad news. Grease on the mating parts will protect you.
Without a top bar you already have the top threaded inserts so you are good to go.

Go to ACE hardware and invest $10 in a mini file set. Sometimes you will find that the inner SS Newell ring screw holes may be a couple thousandth off center from the Tib holes. Just take the little mini round file and give those holes a couple strokes if needed. What happens if one is off a little and you force the screw in it just chews up the threads on your new screws.