Daiwa Tatula reels

Started by Bryan Young, May 08, 2014, 07:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Have anyone fished the new Daiwa Tatula bait casting reels?  http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=684.

I am interested in buying 1 or 2 of different gear ratios for light surf fishing and casting a 2-3 oz plugs.  Has any one taken one apart?  
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LLCC

Just completed cracking one open.

I'll find some time to redo the whole step by step in a format for this forum later.

Meanwhile, if you wanna see what's inside, here's a link to my blog:
http://gaspinggurami.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/servicing-daiwa-tatula-type-r-100xsl/?preview=true&preview_id=259&preview_nonce=41fdf72393

LL
Lawrence Lee

Bryan Young

Thank you LLCC.  I had a chance to try it out, and it casts well.  I need to service it to see if it will cast better.  Out of the box, it doesn't cast as well as my Okuma that has been serviced, so it's really not apples to apples comparison yet, but I will do it soon.

I did loose a lure (one of my favorite DaKine lure in pink and green with a rattle) during casting though due to the line angle during casting.  Both reels have the problem with non-synchronous line guide during casting.

I may go and find an abu 5000 or 5500 with a wiffle (SP?) spool if they are available.  I know I can cast those about 75 yards with 20# braid.  I was looking for something smaller and am shooting to cast a 1.5-2 oz plug, jig,...100 yards without wind.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LLCC

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 11, 2014, 03:58:50 PM
Thank you LLCC.  I had a chance to try it out, and it casts well.  I need to service it to see if it will cast better.  Out of the box, it doesn't cast as well as my Okuma that has been serviced, so it's really not apples to apples comparison yet, but I will do it soon.

I did loose a lure (one of my favorite DaKine lure in pink and green with a rattle) during casting though due to the line angle during casting.  Both reels have the problem with non-synchronous line guide during casting.

I may go and find an abu 5000 or 5500 with a wiffle (SP?) spool if they are available.  I know I can cast those about 75 yards with 20# braid.  I was looking for something smaller and am shooting to cast a 1.5-2 oz plug, jig,...100 yards without wind.

Hi Bryan,

My wife casted the Tatula Type R with little problem despite being a novice. I started her off casting a medium weight (1oz) on a fast action rod rated 6-12 lb. I had to set the magnetic brakes to #10 and spool tension a little higher (till the weight slides off the rod slowly). As her thumb got accustomed, I gradually reduced magnetic brakes and spool tension till it was #2 for magnets and for spool tension, there was just enough to stop side to side play. It was a day with a gentle breeze (that was not enough to fly a flag but sufficient to cause ripples on the pond) blowing from the side, and it took an hour's practice.

The next day, I reset back to her start setting of #10 and a tight spool tension and this time she took lesser time to work down to #2 with minimal spool tension. By the end of her fifth day, she was casting that 1oz lead with 0 brakes, relying entirely with thumb control.

Ever since I lost my centrifugal pellets on my Ambassadeur 5000 in 1976, I had always trusted on the thumb to be my cast control device, and till today, I still find that nothing can beat the thumb. No DC control, not magnetic brakes can beat the educated thumb.

But for casting with braided line which has no stretch, I recommended tying on a short piece of nylon monofilament as a shock leader. I use PE 0.8 Line with 20lb YGK Galis Fluorocarbon for my leader. The trick is to position the joining knot anywhere between the stripper guide and the levelwind. Having this knot spooled around the spool will always cause a reduction in casting ability as the knot striking the levelwind tends to cause an overrun.

Also, the kind of line used makes a difference. A braided line without any coating tends to absorb water, making long casts difficult. I found Fireline Crystal, Fireline Pink, Sufix 832 and the new Sufix Mango Pink to cast well on baitcasters. Using 8lb Fireline Pink on an ABU Revo LTX, I have no problem clearing 80m of line casting a 1oz jig on a 6'8" SCIV 8-14lb rod.

But whatever it is, always have a moistened thumb touching the edge of the spool flange. Just doing it this way will prevent lots of ugly bird's nests. I find the spool bearings for the Tatula to be good quality. After thoroughly cleaning it, they spin as well as any ABEC 7 bearings. You might wanna clean off your bearings first before putting down the cash for a wiffle spool as those dun sell cheap.

HTH,

LL
Lawrence Lee

Bryan Young

Thanks LL,

My reel is spooled with 20# Power Pro braided line.  I normally use a 2' - 3' top shot.  In this case, it was 20# Blackwater Fluorocarbon.

I always start out casting those little reels at max magnet control with no tension on the spool every time I change lures until I can see what the reel is doing.  Within 5 casts, I'm at 0 or 1 and I can see the line flowing out smoothly with 3 or so loops floating as line is going out.

In both cases, with this reel and with my Okuma reel, my braid snapped.  The Okuma was 10# and the Tatula was 20# braid.  In both cases, the line broke while casting where the line was at one end of the spool and the line exiting the reel was at the other end of the spool.  I will possibly try 10# mono to see if there's any difference.