New handle arms

Started by Three se7ens, May 09, 2014, 02:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbamhi

Quote from: Three se7ens on July 17, 2014, 12:54:11 AM
Currently available:  (4) 116 and up handle arms and (4) 114H/115 handle arms

All 116+ handles have a 5/16" hole for the handle.  The others are available in 5/16", 3/16", and .236", which is common on aftermarket handles.  If you need a special size, let me know.  

Is anyone interested in a smaller version for the smaller reels, such as the 113h?  I was thinking 3 1/4" or maybe 3 1/2" center to center.  Thoughts?

I am interested in ( 1 )  handle arm for a 112 and ( 1 ) for a 113

Southernsharker

Handle are came in today. It looks awesome thanks adam

ChileRelleno

Adam,
new arm received & mounted, everything A1, thanks for the exchange.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Three se7ens

A new design for Sal, and the 113h version of my handle with holes ready for testing.

Alto Mare

Adam, those look very nice. I could tell They're going to look sharp when mounted. Great job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tom McKinney

Those look awesome.  Which if any if the old designs do you still have in stock?  113h or 114h?

broadway

Adam, the star drags you made me won't allow a thick handle to be put on at the same time as the thicker star. Can you thin down the handle to accommodate the two at the same time?
Beautiful handles!
Thanks
Dom

foakes

Hi Dom --

Would a recessed center area work on the star?

Or a slightly shorter sleeve spacer?

Probably a few other solutions possible -- just hate to see the strength of the beautiful handles changed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Fred,
   I wasn't looking to have Adam change all of the handles... Just 4 for me ;)
Some of your ideas would probably work... What do you think is the best way to chop the sleeve down because I don't have the tools nor the ability to put that recess in the star?
Thanks
Dom
Ps- I think you could get rid of half the thickness and never have it break. I have to check but I don't think the International arms are as thick. I like over built but to have both would be cool.

Three se7ens

Quote from: broadway on September 05, 2014, 12:38:19 PM
Adam, the star drags you made me won't allow a thick handle to be put on at the same time as the thicker star. Can you thin down the handle to accommodate the two at the same time?
Beautiful handles!
Thanks
Dom

The recessed side of your stars should face the spool, not the handle.

I have a few of the 116 and up handles, a few of the 114/115 handles, and one shark handle for the 114/115. Once Sal tests the 113h handles, I'll have some of those cut as well.  

foakes

If the recess on the star is towards the handle -- just flip it to face the spool...

If this doesn't work -- use a fine metal grinding belt on a belt sander (must be a solid steel bed under the belt) along with a 90 degree stop fence.  Experiment a bit, probably no more should be removed than necessary, around 1/16" to 3/32" might do it.

Carefully clean up the burred edges with a micro hand file.

Then take a 1/8" drill bit -- spin "0000" steel wool over the bit -- run the wool covered bit through the sleeve until super smooth -- just takes less than a minute to be perfect.

Make sure you did not get carried away with the belt grinder -- the ground down end needs to be perfectly perpendicular to the sleeve body, other wise you will have uneven friction issues.

Or go through your old parts to just change out the spacing sleeve to one slightly shorter.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Yea Dom. What he said. Piece of cake. ;D
Life is Good!

broadway

Guys, I'm not as good as most but even I know the recess faces the spool... A little credit here  ;)
Yeah, Daron... Now Fred is giving me way too much credit in thinking I have a steel belted belt sander laying around my 1,000 sqft. apartment or the ability to get a perfect edge with one. ;D
I think I'll do what Fred said and check the old parts bin.
Thanks
Dom