fishing locally.. in San Felipe, North Sea of Cortez, Baja (Update 9/16)

Started by steelfish, May 09, 2014, 07:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: DaBigOno on February 25, 2015, 08:22:38 PM
Thanks for the report.   San Felipe is beautiful, especially this time of the year when it's not too hot...
cool, seems like you know SF really good, this is the perfect time to go fishing until late may.
july and august is almost impossible to go on the water and fish after 11am

Quote from: BMITCH on February 25, 2015, 08:25:41 PM
You are TRUELY blessed. The scenery is beautiful, the fish plentiful and the climate warm. Thanks for bringing a little warmth to the worn down and cold Yankee. Send some of that warm weather this way will you!! ;D

count on that my friend, few more months and as soon as we reach 120f I will send 30f to your way

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Great Pic Alex! Thanks for taking us along! ;D I feel warmer already. :P
Life is Good!

SoCalAngler

Good to see you here Steelfish and keep up the reports. I have not fished out of San Felipe in many years but here is a pic of me on the Jose Andres about 25 year ago.

Regaurding the Totoaba didn't Tony Reyes from San Felipe do some exploratory trips with CONPESCA (the Mexican department of fish and game) in order to study these fish several years back? At one time there was even talk about starting a hatchery program for the Totoaba like the one we have here in sourthern California for the white seabass. Man that would of been nice to see get going.

I mainly fish the Loreto/Puerto Escondido area a couple of times a year now when I head to the Sea of Cortez. If you ever head down that way let me know as I get reports from there all the time. I fish one Tournament there in the end of June and just like you don't head back to fish until mid to late October because of the heat.

How did you like your Fathom 40? I just had a new Fathom 25N LD two speed dropped of at my house for a local in Loreto to get serviced and spooled up with line. I hope I told this guy the right reel to buy because he purchased one sight unseen on my recomendation and had it shipped to my house in California. I'll send the reel down to Loreto with my father when he heads down on March 5th, but I think he will like it very much.

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 26, 2015, 01:25:37 AM

Regaurding the Totoaba didn't Tony Reyes from San Felipe do some exploratory trips with CONPESCA (the Mexican department of fish and game) in order to study these fish several years back? At one time there was even talk about starting a hatchery program for the Totoaba like the one we have here in sourthern California for the white seabass. Man that would of been nice to see get going.

well that totoaba fishing program is been on the counter for many years with no avail, there are many people mainly related with the sport fishing market that are pushing really hard on that because we all are pretty sure it will be a hit for the economy and also for the fish (cuz all the money will go to more research,etc,) we actually have one program like that with the RAM deer that only lives in Baja also, lets hope this program have a happy ending for the fisherman in the short future.

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 26, 2015, 01:25:37 AM
I mainly fish the Loreto/Puerto Escondido area a couple of times a year now when I head to the Sea of Cortez. If you ever head down that way let me know as I get reports from there all the time. I fish one Tournament there in the end of June and just like you don't head back to fish until mid to late October because of the heat.

How did you like your Fathom 40? I just had a new Fathom 25N LD two speed dropped of at my house for a local in Loreto to get serviced and spooled up with line. I hope I told this guy the right reel to buy because he purchased one sight unseen on my recomendation and had it shipped to my house in California. I'll send the reel down to Loreto with my father when he heads down on March 5th, but I think he will like it very much.

thansk for the offer on the reports I will surely let you know if I ever go that down, my first goal is to go and fish on BOLA (5hrs south of my town if you have a nice 4x4 truck or 11hrs if you have a sedan like me).

I really liked the fathom, heck !! I'm thinking on selling my saltist 20h and get me a fathom 15 for surf fishing.
actually Im truly debating between a penn baja special and a fathom 40nLD-II, both almost on the same price range, but I think I will go with the 2-speed reel better, but I will wait until seeing one 40LD-2 on the forum classifies, not in a rush.

and count on the fishing reports everytime I get on the local waters on this same thread.

saludos compadre.
The Baja Guy

TomT

Steelfish,
When I first started driving down the Baja peninsula about 25 years ago, It was possible to drive s/o of Felipe but to drive very far south required 4wd and lots of time and lots of work.  I used to go down near Cabo Pulmo and now have a small place S/E of La Paz near La Ventana in sight of Isla Cerralvo.  As we are driving down there is now a major looking dirt road N/W of Bahia de Los Angeles and the dirt road has a sign that says to San Felipe.  I assume it goes thru, but is it still "Very difficult and very time consuming??"
TomT

Dominick

Steelfish.  Thanks for the photos.  My favorite eating fish from the Sea of Cortez is Cabrilla.  It is like a meaty rockfish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SoCalAngler

Cabrilla are good eats for sure.

Here is a little shore Cabrilla.

Took my young friend Jimmy out but he only likes larger model Cabrilla.

steelfish

Dominik.. you really know which is a nice fish to eat.. here we put the big cabrilla on the grill with the skin on and bit BBQ in the meat

Socal.. that are some nice fishes.. congrats.

The Baja Guy

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Dominick on February 27, 2015, 05:18:23 AM
Steelfish.  Thanks for the photos.  My favorite eating fish from the Sea of Cortez is Cabrilla.  It is like a meaty rockfish.  Dominick

Dom, cabrilla are on the top of my list also but have you tried parrotfish? Makes some of the best fish tacos you will ever eat.

steelfish

do you have pics of the parrotfish?

this is what I call parrotfish, this are some old pics with my little daughter catching one.

if you like that fish for fish tacos, then you should try .. Sierra for fish tacos, the tip for the sierra is to have the oil in the frying pan really hot, crispy on the outside and tender inside.

The Baja Guy

Dominick

I never caught a parrot fish or a sheepshead.  So I have not tasted them.  Most fish seem to be good for fish tacos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

steelfish

few more pics of the San Felipe Sierras Activity from this past weekend may 2nd, 2015

it was a really rough & windy day but since we were already on the Rock and even though it was not a nice day to trolling, we managed to get 3 big sierras for each Pescador at the Consag Rock again, sierras are on the 1mt on average (3ft long) and 10#,  come and get them compas!!

this fatty was almost 10# of pure brute force

this remains me that I need a bigger Ice chest

one with the compadres

and the bubba blade knife at its finest !! pure delight to fillet a fish with this knife

The Baja Guy

SoCalAngler

Yes Steelfish those are Parrot fish and when they get larger they get more colorful with darker blue, green, yellow and some with red or pink on them. Very colorful fish and thats how they got their name in English as they have the colors of the parrot birds.

coastal_dan

Nice fish! 

I have to agree as well about the Bubba Blade, I just bought one two weeks ago and was fileting a bluefish thinking..."wow, this is so much nicer than anything I've used".  My Dexter-Russells are nice, but don't compare.

Thanks for the report!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...