Calstar "750H"

Started by Jon Vadney, May 10, 2014, 06:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

Right after 9/11/2001 I originally built this rod.  It was an 800H that I cut 2" off of the tip and 4" off of the butt. I wrapped it in red, white and blue with an American flag wrap.  This rod quickly became my all time favorite 40# stick.  It has caught me countless albacore, yellowtail to 40# and YFT to 105#.  I built it with Fuji SiC's and it had a cork tape grip.  This was my last personal rod that was not spiral wrapped.

On some of the bigger YFT I have caught, the reel started to move around during the fight and I really didn't like the fact that it wasn't spiral wrapped so I decided it was time for an upgrade.  After stripping the rod I was trying to decide what colors to wrap it in.  I was outside a couple weeks ago throwing the ball with my dog, enjoying the fall weather when it hit me that fall was my favorite time of year so I used fall as my inspiration for the colors on the rod.

Enjoy!

And a bonus pic of my rod wrapping partner; Douglas the long-haired Dachshund.

johnachak

First off, Douglas is about as cute as a dog can get. Too bad you stripped down the American flag wrapped rod. I would've taken that off your hands and you could have started fresh. It's a little heavier than what you are building for me but I am sure I would've found a use for it. Maybe jigging for Cod after I get my hip replaced, trolling, tilefish, the possibilities are endless.

alantani

there should be a museum for all of these.  the rods can go on display AFTER we die!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Jon Vadney

Thanks guys :)  Appreciate the comments.

johnachak

I'm curious, when you wrap and epoxy that much of the blank, does it affect the bend of the rod? Does the epoxy tend to crack after a while due to the rod flexing? Do you only wrap and epoxy up to the point where the rod is designed to flex? Sorry for being so curious but I have rewrapped a rod or two in my time. The blank I completely refinished eventually cracked. It also happened to a friend of mines Chaos rod. We both bought Chaos rods at the same show. Mine is still fine after about 10 years. I wonder if it is just something to do with the mix of the finish or surface prep. I never saw a supposedly well made (although store bought) rod peel finish like that Chaos did. Even the one I did only kind of crazed. After borrowing the equipment to do the ones I did, I have come to the conclusion that rod wrapping is best left to the experts You for instance  :)   I'll stick to fixing my good old Penns.

Newell Nut

Very nice looking pattern. I just finished my first custom rod for a friend with red, white and blue theme.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: johnachak on July 09, 2014, 01:21:10 PM
I'm curious, when you wrap and epoxy that much of the blank, does it affect the bend of the rod? Does the epoxy tend to crack after a while due to the rod flexing? Do you only wrap and epoxy up to the point where the rod is designed to flex? Sorry for being so curious but I have rewrapped a rod or two in my time. The blank I completely refinished eventually cracked. It also happened to a friend of mines Chaos rod. We both bought Chaos rods at the same show. Mine is still fine after about 10 years. I wonder if it is just something to do with the mix of the finish or surface prep. I never saw a supposedly well made (although store bought) rod peel finish like that Chaos did. Even the one I did only kind of crazed. After borrowing the equipment to do the ones I did, I have come to the conclusion that rod wrapping is best left to the experts You for instance  :)   I'll stick to fixing my good old Penns.

Hey John, on a saltwater rod like these, it really won't change much of anything at all.  I never extend up past 3rd guide from the reelseat w/ anything decorative.  poor finish application with a subpar finish could result in the peeling that you have seen.

johnachak

I must've gotten lucky with mine. I heard Chaos went under. I got a good one apparently.

johnachak

I did a little research and it seems I did get lucky. I must've gotten one of the Fla. Built / ones. The parts arell Fuji. I read I more than one blog that they were using Chinese made stuff for a few years... It apppears a new Co. Has bought the Chaos name. I'll stick with Jon Vadney originals.

RTT

Hi John

Awsome looking rod.  I am going to start a build soon.  Can you tell me what guide size you used for the guide closest to the seat.

Thank you
Ray

Jon Vadney

Hey Ray,
The guides on this rod are no longer made.  They were Fuji HNSG.  Fuji still makes the frame but with a different insert material (Silicon Nitride II).  The model number is BHNNG and the stripping guide size I used was a 20.  I only go up to a size 25 stripper (in terms of boat rods) if I'm building 80# and up or if the person is using an abnormally tall reel.

RTT

John

Thank you for you reply.

Ray

Tiddlerbasher

Lovely work Jon - You have left me 'needing' another rod (or 2)  ;D

Jon Vadney

Quote from: RTT on July 31, 2014, 04:18:44 PM
John

Thank you for you reply.

Ray

Not a problem Ray!  Feel free to message me or post in here if you have any questions!  If I don't know the answer I will do my best to find out for you!

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 31, 2014, 04:44:10 PM
Lovely work Jon - You have left me 'needing' another rod (or 2)  ;D

Thank you sir!  I would love to build a couple rods for you.  You can message me for a quote anytime!