SS Newell Sleeves Beware

Started by Newell Nut, May 13, 2014, 12:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedwagon2

Guys,
 Do all generations of Newell reel have non stainless sleeves?  The reel in question is 1997 Glendale 631  4.2.  I am going to put a longer SS handle and grip from Alan Tani on the 631.  I have not had this reel apart yet.  I read that a longer handle can round off the sleeve(brass??), unless it is SS.  I also have 322-5, and 533-5.5 both with Bryan's 5+1 drag kits, and Tiberon one piece frames, narrow in the 533.  I am going to put one of Alan's handle on the 533.  Should I check or replace the sleeves prior to changing the handles?

Thanks for the help,  Dave Babcock

Tunacious

I'd say half of my OG P's have ss sleeves, the other half are brass. The original blackies may have had ss only...I'd have to open mine up as I don't recall. In any case, none of these OG ss sleeves will fit your 533 or 631.

I've read the same things re rounding on brass sleeves if using ss handles...it makes sense. I've always swapped out the graphite handles on my 533 and 631 with aluminum handles. I know they're not ss but I haven't had any issues with the brass sleeves. Same with my OG P's, no issues with any of the sleeves and I've had 'em a long time.

Robert S

Any status on the SS sleeves? I have a S332 that has what I think is a bronze or brass sleeve. Its fine for now, but I will also be upgrading the drag stack and handle.

Thanks.
Robert

fishhead69

I have found many many times that when the end of the gear sleeve is rounded off it is because the person did not tighten the handle screw enough. You should really torque down the handle screw as tight as you can and then I have never seen any issues with the gear sleeve. Eat your Wheaties before you tighten the handle screw.

Robert S

Thanks. I understand what you're saying about keeping that handle nut tight. I'll hold off for now and keep the reel properly up to snuff.

Robert

Newell Nut

I have heavy duty SS handles that Keta made on my 631 and have fished it hard for AJs and no issues on the sleeves. I also fish my 540 3.2 buttoned down hard for 20 years with no issues on the standard sleeve.

Use what ever handle you want and have some fun.

Fishit 2

I just ordered a SS sleeve for my 338F, not sure if it already has one but... Just hoping there is no problem with this - ordered from the bite guy on fleabay.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Newell Nut

If you had a very early P338F it would more than likely be a SS sleeved 4 stack drag system if your were lucky. I have one of those systems but not for sale.

I actually bought one of those SS sleeves from ebay out of curiosity but it still sits on a shelf. It looks okay but not sure how well it will hold up. I need to put it in a reel and test it but I just have too many irons in the fire to deal with it. The best test would be to put it in one of Captain Al's 447. I don't know any fisherman in the country that has fished a Newell for more hours that Capt Al Coley and he has never had a problem with the factory sleeve in his 447s. 30 hard years of commercial fishing is hard to match by any of us and with no failure on his reels says to me why waste the money changing what works so well.

Fishit 2

I wanted to add a little power to this reel, I heard that using Bryan's 5+1drag he is able to get over 22lbs of drag out of this reel, I was hoping to match that with a SS sleeve and upgraded drag. I have the early 338F  - there is no P on the side plate.

Bryan Young

Unless there will be an added benefit to the gear sleeve, such more rachet teeth, then a new gear sleeve is not necessary.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

You should be able to get at least 28 lb of drag with Bryan's system with the 338.

Fishit 2

That sounds good, I have the SS guts and the original 4 stack drag, you guys advise to use a 113 CF under the main gear as well?

Newell Nut

If you have the original Newell 4 stack drag then use the standard thickness CF under the gear. I believe that would be a .7mm thickness. Then use Bryan's 5 stack in the gear. If you use all of Bryan's thin metal washers then you should have room for a .020 delrin between the top keyed washer and the Belleville that Bryan supplies. Don't have to have the delrin but is smoother.
If you do not have the delrin then you can use a standard thickness keyed washer on top of the stack instead of the thin one and everything should fit the side plate just fine.

I use the following wavy washer between the 3-18 and star for a softer ramp up in drag. Takes about 4.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9714k32/=win7cs

Tunacious

Quote from: Fishit 2 on March 28, 2015, 02:36:47 PM
I wanted to add a little power to this reel, I heard that using Bryan's 5+1drag he is able to get over 22lbs of drag out of this reel, I was hoping to match that with a SS sleeve and upgraded drag. I have the early 338F  - there is no P on the side plate.

Your Newell is part of the "Blackie" series. It was the first series reel Carl made after his 300C model. Be careful to not over tighten the side plate screws or you'll crack the plates.

Fishit 2

Yeah I try to be careful with these side plates, was hoping to get a Tiburon frame but the last time I checked there was none, has anyone made a Tib frame for this model?