Newell S-540 4.6 rebuild pictures and drag questions

Started by stevennc, May 16, 2014, 11:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevennc

I bought a newell 540 , intending it to be a yoyo or 50lb bait reel for me. The only 2 newells I have bought before this were not in the best shape . Most of the time they are neglected, missing washers or finicky getting the drag right. This one was no different.  I did everything I could to make sure this one was decent, but upon opening it the main gear was rusted and the drags were pretty glazed over. The screws were a little marred (which I should have noticed when I got it)

For the gear I used a dremel with small wire brush . 2 types work well for this Ill put pictures up later.

The large thin belvelle by the handle had a crack , and it was missing a washer in between the star and the large drag washer (3-12) I think the washer missing was 3-18

The drags I did my best to clean them up and get the old glazed burnt grease or material off. I managed to get 22 pounds of drag once put back together. They seem like they should hold up fine. I know there is a 3 stack + one under the gear carbontex replacement, but I read that people were not getting enough drag out of it. If you went with a normal 3 stack and have some feedback please share.

I put a spring washer between the belvelle and drag washer (312) and it seems to work well. All in all after cleaning it up, it seems like a pretty nice light bait reel for me. It has more than enough drag and it is not the normal either on or off non progressive drag you see with most Newells that have not been tuned up. Id estimate over a minutes free spool, but I dont have the attention span to watch it that long.

stevennc

The drag scales I got recently at the swap meet have really been paying off. No guesswork anymore. Here is the cleaned up gear. Right next to it is the cracked washer that was under the gear

Tunacious

Looks much nicer! :o  Yes, those thin belvilles are worthless...always replace them BEFORE fishing them.

I replaced my 3 stack (HT-100's) with the 5 stack Carbontex system that Bryan Young is selling. I also use a full size fiber washer underneath the recessed main. With the 6 carbontex system I get 25#'s plus of drag and it's not buttoned down...this test was using my smaller 200/300 series P's. The washers are much smaller than the 500/600's. On my 533 I know I get much more drag but I didn't go above 25#'s. Newell Nut has tested a 500 series and got 40#'s...see his thread. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8201.0

I only upgraded the drags so as to ensure I never come close to having to completely button down the drag...I'll have plenty of drag to spare.

I've only experienced the "all or nothing" drag scenario once. It was when I purchased a new NL reel...the thin belville was cracked from the factory. In those days, I didn't inspect my reels before using them. I had to find out the hard way while on a yt. :o  If you buy used, however, one never knows what you're gonna get. 8)

stevennc

When I was testing with it on the scale and it on the rod, I was close to it being fully buttoned down. I see the washers as usable but a test at home has no comparison to how they will work with a fish doing a few runs on it. I have yet to be disappointed with a carbontex or ht-100 swap ive done . Im thinking about doing a 5 stack , but putting that aside until I book a trip (limited funds right now) .

Ill order the washers when I order the drags. Once I get the right combination of washers I know Ill have a workhorse I can trust.

I think 18 to 20  lbs of smooth drag would be more than plenty on the ulua. I should have done a pull with that rod to see how much pressure that is on my end.

Newell Nut

If you install new SS washers and a 3 stack CF drag you will get 20# Okay but if you spend another $15 you will have Bryan's complete kit with the thin SS washers and CFs and the under gear washer and a Belleville washer on top of the drags. If you clicked on the link mentioned about and scroll down you will see the picture of me holding a 40# weight using my 533 5.5 on a heavy rod and still had a little left on the star.
Make sure you add a 3-18 washer on the outside between the drag spacer bushing and the star. I can send you a thin and thick one so you can get the spacing right.
The cracked Belleville on the outside of the star was just there to take up space and worthless. Throw it away and do not replace.
You keep mentioning bait reel but I catch 30 lb snappers with 500s easily. I use my 631-3 for serious meat fishing like AJs and grouper.

stevennc

Ive been slowly trying to expand what I have in order to be ready for a longer open party fishing trip. I have a reel with 20lb test (torium) , a 505hs with 30lb test , a saltist 40 with 40lb test, and then this will be for 50lb. On a private boat Im sure I would have no problem with the lighter test. I am very confident in my smaller reels I built up. The issue is I need the higher tests for when bigger fish show up. The 540 is a pretty big reel. Ideally the 533 would be better for me .

I went on a 1.5 day trip with my dad last year, and only had one 40lb setup. That was our largest rig.  We had a school of larger bluefin show up. I grabbed my dads 40 and hooked up but lost my fish. My dad was hooked up on 30lb but was sawed off on purpose by a guy next to him. I just want to have the right line for the job next time. Realistically  spectra to a short topshot has been the way to go, that is what the guy was using that purposely sawed off my dad.

Im having a garage sale this weekend, and then using that money towards new stuff next week. Ill probably end up ordering that drag stack from Bryan especially since it replaces the bellville. I have been hearing the bellville after the stack is not that great

alantani

just took a closer look at the photos.  you can see ALOT of damage to the gear teeth!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

maybe, huh, but there's is no damage to the bottom and these dents are front and back on the top.  seen that pattern before.  and it goes all the way around on the top.  i don't see any places on top where the grease was "wiped" off and it had to have been handled, even just a little......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

I have tech tip for you. This gear reminds me of one that I found in a 440 that I bought. After brainstorming how to clean it up I decided to put a little cutoff wheel on my dremel that was the size of the drag washer and it did a great job of polishing the bottom of the recess in the gear.