Reel for Drifting to BlueFin Tuna

Started by Mr.Grinta, May 18, 2014, 11:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Grinta

I hope this is the section most appropriate to ask the question.
I Should buy a reel to make drifting to bluefin tuna and I can not spend much money.
Which reel do you recommend?
I have a two-speed TLD30 but I see that already with 8kg (17lbs.) of drag the frame makes some bad moves on the base. I just ordered the cal's drag grease to improve the operation. Now I want to buy a reel for my father, but I can not spend much money. Our Bluefin Tunas weight from 50Kg.(110Lbs.) to 110Kg.(240Lbs.).
I saw the Squal 50VSW 2 speed, the Squall seems a bit more robust than the TLD with a frame designed better, especially at the base with two small crosses diagonal reinforcement. I would prefer a reel with metal frame but do not know which one to buy because here in Italy are very expensive.
Thanks to all the advice in advance.
Leonard
For every sunrise there will be a sunset, for every sunset there will be a sunrise. You have to accept Leonard.

TechTeach

On the east coast of the US, the go to reel is any of the 50 wides, Penn, shimano, etc.

Best bang for your buck in my opinion would be a used Penn 50 SW or TW.

You can find them on eBay for 300-400 US$.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Alto Mare

If you're not too familiar with the reels mentioned above and you would like a reel that is very easy and cheap to maintain for that type of fishing, I could put a reel together for you for around $400. It  should last you for the rest of your life.
Shipping might be a problem though, unfortunately things don't always make it to my beautiful country :-\
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Hi Grinta,welcome to the Forum.
Jump at that offer from your fellow countryman Sal, I can highly recommend his Penn conversions.

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 18, 2014, 12:31:37 PM
If you're not too familiar with the reels mentioned above and you would like a reel that is very easy and cheap to maintain for that type of fishing, I could put a reel together for you for around $400. It  should last you for the rest of your life.
Shipping might be a problem though, unfortunately things don't always make it to my beautiful country :-\
Sal

Hi,
can you explain more in detail your suggestion?
many thanks
leonard
For every sunrise there will be a sunset, for every sunset there will be a sunrise. You have to accept Leonard.

SoCalAngler

If I was you I'd be looking at a 50 sized two speed reel with a all aluminum frame. Check out the Penn VSX, Avet, Accurate and Daiwa.

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 18, 2014, 03:03:16 PM
If I was you I'd be looking at a 50 sized two speed reel with a all aluminum frame. Check out the Penn VSX, Avet, Accurate and Daiwa.
Hi,
you think to best choice, but best choice is not cheap  :(
thanks!

alantani

welcome, leonard!  the shimano tld 30 frame is made of graphite and can break at more than 20 pounds (9 kg) of drag.  that much drag will land a 40-50 kg blue fin, but it will take some effort.  if the metal reel seat is loose, you might be able to tighten up the rivets by hammering them tight again.  cal's grease is not necessary for this drag because it already has shimano drag grease on the drag washer.  re-greasing the drag washer is not necessary.  i have a larger handle arm for the reel and it is expensive, but it is a huge improvement over the original handle. 

here in the US, the shimano reels are very inexpensive.  they are a good option, maybe the best option, if you are looking for an inexpensive fishing reel.  it is simply important, (actually, it is critical) that you not exceed 20 pound of drag at strike with this reel or the frame can crack. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: alantani on May 18, 2014, 04:46:08 PM
welcome, leonard!  the shimano tld 30 frame is made of graphite and can break at more than 20 pounds (9 kg) of drag.  that much drag will land a 40-50 kg blue fin, but it will take some effort.  if the metal reel seat is loose, you might be able to tighten up the rivets by hammering them tight again.  cal's grease is not necessary for this drag because it already has shimano drag grease on the drag washer.  re-greasing the drag washer is not necessary.  i have a larger handle arm for the reel and it is expensive, but it is a huge improvement over the original handle. 

here in the US, the shimano reels are very inexpensive.  they are a good option, maybe the best option, if you are looking for an inexpensive fishing reel.  it is simply important, (actually, it is critical) that you not exceed 20 pound of drag at strike with this reel or the frame can crack. 
Hi Alan,
I'm happy to "meet you"  :)
Whato do you think of Penn Squall 50 VSW (in Italy 200€/273$)? I saw that PENN had inserted two small crosses diagonal reinforcement from lateral midle frame to real seat.
The only conceivable expenditure could be Tyrnos 50 LRS two speeds that here in Italy costs €325 or 445$ (and this is already a lot for me), moreover it's ugly looking.
Makaira 50 II that in Italy can be found to 370€/506$ tha I like much, but It is not cheap. What do you think about Makaira 50 II?
ALUTECNOS, Gladiator and Everol here in Italy cost a lot, maybe too much.
My dream is the Tiagra 50 II but I will not be able to buy it, it costs too much.

many thanks!
Leonard

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Grinta on May 18, 2014, 03:14:31 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 18, 2014, 03:03:16 PM
Hi,
you think to best choice, but best choice is not cheap  :(
thanks!

Cheap and big fish never go well together. Look for used but well matained gear and you will pay less sometimes much less than new.

Since you already have have the TLD 30II you may want to look at adding a after market aluminum frame around $200. Then if you want a you can get a aftermarket drag plate and handle as well. Thats what I did to my TLD 30II.

alantani

the makaira 50!!!!  buy once and never worry about it again. 

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: alantani on May 18, 2014, 05:58:06 PM
the makaira 50!!!!  buy once and never worry about it again.  
Hi Alan,
certain that if you say it I must believe it!
Alan So what do you think that this reel comes out well from the comparison with the Tiagra and PEN International?
If you tell me that, I can try to put aside money slowly and buy it!
many thanks

leonard

johndtuttle

The best bang for your buck is going to be a used Penn International 30 or 50 spooled with 130lb solid braid. Can be found for $300, only reason guys sell them is they don't fish them as much as they would like.

The International series has "looser" tolerances than many brand new reels. This actually makes them more maintenance free and reliable.

This reel will last longer than you will with routine maintenance.

alantani

when i service a reel, i pack the non-spool bearings, clean and relube the spool bearings, grease the drags and get a light coat of grease on the inside.  the makaira has all of that already, plus a 5 year warranty.  an old penn international would be great also, but it would have to be serviced first. 

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: alantani on May 18, 2014, 09:00:42 PM
when i service a reel, i pack the non-spool bearings, clean and relube the spool bearings, grease the drags and get a light coat of grease on the inside.  the makaira has all of that already, plus a 5 year warranty.  an old penn international would be great also, but it would have to be serviced first. 
Now I understand more!
and 5 year warranty is very interesting thing.
Alan againa a question:
in your post where you do maintenance of Makaira II I saw that it seems that the shields of bearings are ruined to be removed. Do you replace the shields of bearing? or leave without shield? or what do you do?
hello and thank you very much

leonard