Penn Levelmatic ?

Started by 0119, July 25, 2013, 10:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted a Penn levelmatic.  I used to see all the greats in pages of old Florida Sportsman and Southern Saltwater using them.  The oldtimers fishing under the bridges when I was a kid always had them.  Anyway, the local Walmart has one in the dusty corner of their reel case that no one has ever wanted.  I've researched various forums and it seems folks either loved them or hated them.  I'd like to get it and use it not just put it on a shelf.  I've read its a poor caster and corrodes easy.  I'd baby it but value this boards members opinions, please chim in with your experiences with this old gold reel.  Either using it or repairing it.

harryk3616

hi   0119             have a 940  that i bought years ago.   never had a problem with it.   i caught large blue sharks on it and had a ball drifting sandworms for big weakfish, had it in free spool and when the weakfish picked up the worm and ran with it awhile i would turn the handle and engage the spool to fight the fish, all in all it's a good reel. now a days i don't know about parts availability, maybe do some research.   harryk

floating doc

I fished with a pair that a friend owned. They were very smooth and cast well,  at least with heavier weights. Pretty slow retreive though.  The drags weren't great, but they were probably pre-HT100 era.
Central Florida

Bryan Young

with a good initial pre-use service, the reel is great, but as was stated, slower retrieve and many of the drags were pre-HT-100s.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

nelz

Thanks everyone.  Yeah I read about the old leather drag washers.  I wonder if HT 100 or Smoothies would be a good idea with its frameless screwed together construction.  I've never needed that much drag from my old Abu's for snook fishing anyways.

Nelz I'm in Fl., the Walmarts around here never sell their baitcasters, very few folks use them here in s.w. Fl.

Bryan Young

Quote from: 0119 on July 26, 2013, 05:26:22 PM
Thanks everyone.  Yeah I read about the old leather drag washers.  I wonder if HT 100 or Smoothies would be a good idea with its frameless screwed together construction.  Ive never needed that much drag from my old Abu's for snook fishing anyways.
I would go with either HT-100 or carbontex, greased.  Greased Carbon Fiber drags fair way better then the other options available if the drag get wet, and i believe that if you are fishing, it's possible for any reel drags to get wet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ez2cdave

Quote from: 0119 on July 25, 2013, 10:13:26 PM
Ever since I was a kid I've wanted a Penn levelmatic.  I used to see all the greats in pages of old Florida Sportsman and Southern Saltwater using them.  The oldtimers fishing under the bridges when I was a kid always had them.  Anyway, the local Walmart has one in the dusty corner of their reel case that no one has ever wanted.  I've researched various forums and it seems folks either loved them or hated them.  I'd like to get it and use it not just put it on a shelf.  I've read its a poor caster and corrodes easy.  I'd baby it but value this boards members opinions, please chim in with your experiences with this old gold reel.  Either using it or repairing it.

Well . . . Did you BUY it ???

Tight Lines !

Actually I told a fishing buddy of its whereabouts and he grabbed it before I could go back and get it.  I don't fish with him anymore.

ez2cdave

Quote from: 0119 on March 11, 2018, 09:28:56 PM
Actually I told a fishing buddy of its whereabouts and he grabbed it before I could go back and get it.  I don't fish with him anymore.

Hmm . . . Sounds like a case of self-inflicted "spot-burning" . . . I feel you pain !

PS - You have a Private Message !

Tight Lines !

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

smnaguwa

The 940 was my favorite reel fishing for salmon to 15#. Yes, slow retreive. Retired it when CF drag reels came out.

thorhammer

A great Carolina rig reel for flounder and drum, or jigs in the bushes for bass; the retrieve is great for that. I put larger Abu handles on mine (with some filing).