Tica ST-558 Gold - trolling reel

Started by Mr.Grinta, May 23, 2014, 12:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Grinta

Hello to all.
Since we do not find much information on these reels, I want to make a small contribution to this beautiful community presenting a disassembly and small reviews of this reel.
I hope that is of interest.
In Italy there is much talk ill of the Tica reels trolling, but I believe that people are talking because they do know it well . Or maybe I do not know how to have assembled a good reel.
I have had this reel from a shop to try it and say how it goes.
Now, I used it for two years at sea and never gave me any problems. I had fished a lot of fishs, many Gorilla and blu cocktails. Also, deliberately, I've never done maintenance. It was two years in the sun and exposed to splashes of sea water.
I do not want to give my personal opinion but just to share with you together to figure out if it's a good product.
After that I want to do even the same review on TicaTeam WTS 50 if you are interested.
Let's go in the images; a picture speaks more than a thousand words.  :D

External view:

Right plate and main gear (note shielded ball bearing):

Main gear and ball bearing (special):

Double beautifull roller bearings:

Right plate no handle:

Right Spool face:

Left internal frame view (note shield ball bearing):

many reels have not a ball bearing here

Spool:

note gaskets to prevent water from entering between the frame and the spool

Now double Drag washer (you can see carbon washer are greased! :o):

First disk:

second disk:

Now spool axe:

also here all shielde ball bearings:

...the end  :D

I've tested the drag at stike position with still free spooling: 8,5 Kg. / 18 lbs.
but I think this reel has even greater friction, I stopped because it broke the wire. The reel could still tighten the presets without losing the free spool  ;D

I very much hope that this article interests you, but most of all I care what you think of this product because I would now like to try the TicaTeam 50 WTS.

thank to all
leonard
For every sunrise there will be a sunset, for every sunset there will be a sunrise. You have to accept Leonard.

Tile

This reel is nicely done and is on par with its competitors. I wonder if it's hard to get spare parts or not for it.
In solid fiberglass we trust

philaroman

About 10 years ago in US, it seemed like Tica would bend over backwards for customer service -- even more so than Okuma...  not sure how it is now, or in other countries.

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: Tile on May 25, 2014, 07:45:03 PM
This reel is nicely done and is on par with its competitors. I wonder if it's hard to get spare parts or not for it.
Hi Tile,
I do not know if it's hard to find and get spare parts.
I can say for sure, foe now, is that this reel has two small flaws:
1. The anodizing is weak;
2. Noise of the buzzer is ugly.

One thing that amazed me is the drag which can reach very large values ​​compared to the size of the reel.

the rest did not give me many problems.

best regards
leonard
For every sunrise there will be a sunset, for every sunset there will be a sunrise. You have to accept Leonard.

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: Tile on May 25, 2014, 07:45:03 PM

Hi  philaroman,
nice information, I hope that it's still so
thanks
leonard

Rothmar2

I have a couple of Tica ST 16's that were practically given to me as new, which are similar to these reels.
x2 for the anodizing, it is not well bonded to the die-cast ally frame and plates, and on the ST's it isn't even present inside the reels (out of site out of mind....grease the internal surfaces!).
They put out an impressive amount drag for a reel of this size with the stock drag cam. However, I wanted to optimize them for 8kg test line, so I modified the drag cam beyond strike so as not come on too strong. I ended up honing 0.4mm off the peak of the cam. This gives me a maximum drag of 3.5kg, with 2.7kg at strike.
The other issue I have had is the handles. The arms are made of an ally that is very soft, and the shaft end easily wears loose. Have had to beef the set-up to stop the handle from becoming sloppy.
Otherwise, properly prepped, they have been an adequate reel.

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: Rothmar2 on May 28, 2014, 06:18:56 AM
I have a couple of Tica ST 16's that were practically given to me as new, which are similar to these reels.
x2 for the anodizing, it is not well bonded to the die-cast ally frame and plates, and on the ST's it isn't even present inside the reels (out of site out of mind....grease the internal surfaces!).
They put out an impressive amount drag for a reel of this size with the stock drag cam. However, I wanted to optimize them for 8kg test line, so I modified the drag cam beyond strike so as not come on too strong. I ended up honing 0.4mm off the peak of the cam. This gives me a maximum drag of 3.5kg, with 2.7kg at strike.
The other issue I have had is the handles. The arms are made of an ally that is very soft, and the shaft end easily wears loose. Have had to beef the set-up to stop the handle from becoming sloppy.
Otherwise, properly prepped, they have been an adequate reel.
Hi Rothmar2,
handles was the problem on old models. Thi is that i know. On new models they are very strong and will not rust.
Internally there is not anodizing but I prefer it because I do not like anodizing and I find it easier to protect the virgin aluminum.
I agree that it has a very strong drag.
many thanks
leonard

alantani

leonard, nicely done.  please send me a pm with your mailing address.  i would like to send you a wrench! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: alantani on May 29, 2014, 02:08:11 AM
leonard, nicely done.  please send me a pm with your mailing address.  i would like to send you a wrench! 
Hi Alan,
many thanks! I'm happy to receive these your words.
pm done.

thanks
leonard

nelz

Does this reel have a "thrust bearing" or something similar?

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: nelz on December 18, 2015, 11:05:32 PM
Does this reel have a "thrust bearing" or something similar?

Ho Nelz,
I do not think.
Why du you ask me about?

best regards
leonard

nelz

As I understand it, a thrust bearing is a special bearing designed to keep side pressure from the drag from damaging it. For reels that don't have it, some guys here make some sort of custom sleeve for the same purpose.

Btw, I am awaiting delivery of a ST558 in black, advertised as "mint, like new" that I got a real bargain price on. It will be my first lever drag reel to learn the system with. I heard that black is the better choice for anodizing with these reels.

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: nelz on December 20, 2015, 04:01:40 PM
As I understand it, a thrust bearing is a special bearing designed to keep side pressure from the drag from damaging it. For reels that don't have it, some guys here make some sort of custom sleeve for the same purpose.

Btw, I am awaiting delivery of a ST558 in black, advertised as "mint, like new" that I got a real bargain price on. It will be my first lever drag reel to learn the system with. I heard that black is the better choice for anodizing with these reels.

Oh, very interesting!
I hope that you will upload photos as possible.
Many thanks
for the notice.
best regards
leonard

nelz

Quote from: Mr.Grinta on May 28, 2014, 10:09:08 AMHi Rothmar2,
handles was the problem on old models. Thi is that i know. On new models they are very strong and will not rust.

Leonard, is the handle shown on your reel the old or new style?  My reel's due to arrive today, feeling like an expectant father, lol  ::)   And yes, I will post pics.

Mr.Grinta

Quote from: nelz on December 21, 2015, 01:59:47 PM
Quote from: Mr.Grinta on May 28, 2014, 10:09:08 AMHi Rothmar2,

Leonard, is the handle shown on your reel the old or new style?  My reel's due to arrive today, feeling like an expectant father, lol  ::)   And yes, I will post pics.

I think that my handle is new; it's very strong and not rust.
best regards
leonard