Upgrading Newell 332

Started by spize909, May 24, 2014, 02:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spize909

I've got a couple 332's and would like to upgrade one for my son. I'm getting an old graphite rod re-wrapped for him and want a nice, light reel to go with it. He's actually been fishing the combo for a couple years, this will just make it "new".
So, here's what I want to do.
Gear it down to 4:1
Get more drag out of it.
Better handle (looking at Penn 24S-225 counter balanced handles ?)
I would like to fish 50 braid with a 40 lb mono topshot. Am I asking too much on that one?

I'm sure all this info is here...got tired of searching. Numbers don't search well. Thanks!

maxpowers

These are the pictures from my Newell P338 that I changed the gears from Newell 5:1 stainless steel to Penn 4:1 chromed steel gears.  The drag was also upgraded to 5+1.  I recently bought the aftermarket stainless steel gear sleeve to test it out too.  Everything worked fine and the drag is very smooth.

maxpowers

a couple more pictures

Newell Nut

Some Newell 3.6 gears will be manufactured soon. You can actually go to a full 6 stack drag but I would have to work on the sleeve for you to make that happen. The 5+1 kit does work quite well.
You may want to check out the handles on ebay that have the rounded aluminum grip which are very comfortable and light in weight.

maxpowers

Cool Newell Nut.  Looking forward to the 3.6 gears and the 6 stack.

spize909

Thanks for the replies.
What is the best source for those gears?

Newell Nut

Black Pearl will make an announcement when the time is right. Currently the machine shop has the gear sets for a pattern but they have a backlog of projects.

spize909

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 26, 2014, 05:02:17 PM
Black Pearl will make an announcement when the time is right. Currently the machine shop has the gear sets for a pattern but they have a backlog of projects.

So............what is the status on those gear sets??
That will allow 5 drag washers? What would the expected drag be and is the stock reel (frame) up to it?

Newell Nut

You can use Bryan Young's 5 stack drag system now on any 300 series. Mine pull 32 lb of drag and no problem for the frames that I tested but make sure you use a rod clamp.
The new gears will be 3.6 to 1 to make cranking a little easier and the pinions on the 3.6 are more robust than on a 5 to 1 set. As far as availability goes we are on the manufacturers list and have wait for our turn. Black Pearl will post a notice when the time is right.

spize909

What can you safely fish on a 332 regarding frame stability and drag? What is the stock drag capability? (I've seen a few different #s on this).
Could I fish 40 mono over 50 braid as it sits?

Newell Nut

All of my 332s have 40 momoi diamond on them and they catch very large red snappers. As far as stock drag goes if I put 3+1 new CFs with Cals I can lift a 20 lb dumbbell with a 332.

spize909

3+1 meaning the washer under the gear is the +1?
That would be plenty of drag. I still want to gear it down though. For now it should be good though.
I opened up the 332 I bought new again and it does have the nylon washer on the left side. Strangly enough I had one of the little metal washers (like what was under the  rt side bearing on the used one) loose in the box...........maybe I am forgetting something but I don't see it on the schematic.

Tunacious

IMHO, you can use 40# mono over braid and be fine if you use the carbon fiber washers, whether it's the 3+1 or 5+1. I've got original P's, so I have a true 6 drag system. I've never thought you get much drag from the underneath main gear washer unless you have the fixed ss washer on the bridge sleeve like the P's do.

The stock Newell washers get about 10-12 lbs of drag...it's a 30# (max) reel. All 200-300-400 size Newells use the same exact drag system...they're all 30 lb (max) reels. Way back when I used 40# on my 440 and jigmaster reels. I wasn't getting the needed drag doing this however.

The only reason I have the 6 drag system is so I don't have to max out the drag star when applying pressure on tuna, yellowtail etc. Just because I can get 25+ lbs of drag on the 6 drag system doesn't mean I have to use it all. If I had an 80# topshot on my P332 I'd be able to use the full 25 lbs of drag, however, that's where I'd run into potential issues with frame integrity IMHO. I didn't get the Tib frames so I can use 80# topshots, rather, in the event I hook Big Moe, the frame integrity will be less of an issue. 60-100 lb tuna put a lot of pressure on a multi-piece frame.

For me and my fishing needs, the 332 is still a 30# reel since I use all mono. If I go up to 40#, I go to my 533. If Tib ever puts out a 631 frame, that would be my 50# yoyo rig. Above 40#, I get out my 2 speeds. This works for me...YMMV. There is no "one right way" to skin a cat. It's all good! ;) ;D

Carl caught his 224# yft on a P447 and 60 or 80 lb line. He still was using the stock Newell drags which only put out 10-12 lbs of drag. There were no carbon fiber material back then. I'm guessing he used his thumb a lot to stop the fish. :o

Re the bearing white vinyl washer....they use to come from the factory on the right plate. The metal shims would only be on the left plate side.

Newell Nut

X2 on all of that and I love the full 6 stack drags.

spize909

Great info.
So does anybody have a source for a left side bearing cap? Both my 332 have the SS cap but my 220 still has the plastic one and when servicing it today it was obvious that it was time for a new one.
Obviously I'd want ss but really anything that is not damaged will work. Next stop, EBAY.