Upgrading Newell 332

Started by spize909, May 24, 2014, 02:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunacious

The last Newells I ever purchased were the no letter series with the ss bearing cups. After that, I really didn't pay attention to the reels that much. Was there a special ss cup made to fit on the plastic threads? I've got some spare ss cups but they were made for the old blackies and P's. If they'll fit....great. I know you can buy some aftermarket ss cups...http://www.charkbait.com/cs/maintena.htm

pm me.

spize909

There seems to be 2 different style caps. I think you may have the older style. I found some on Ebay (2 for 13 bucks). I think I am just going to pick those up.
Thanks!

Newell Nut

You first have to understand the difference between a bearing cup and bearing cap. Make sure you are looking for the right one. If you want a SS cap then email chowderpff7@yahoo.com.

spize909

............ok, what's the difference? Cup on right, cap on left? Cap or right, cup on left?
I ordered a couple red anodized ones off ebay. I don't remember if they were caps or cups but they had threads ;)

Newell Nut

A reel that has a cap that pushes the bearing for alignment is found where there is only a black cap on the right side. The cap can be SS or plastic. A bearing cup is found on a reel where the bearing is inside the cup on each side of the reel. The cups are a larger diameter than the caps. Bearing cups are on Ps and some Ss and on some Gs.
The reel with a bearing cup can take more torque than a reel with a bearing cap. I bought one recently that had the cap and on the right side there was a crack right through the bearing housing. I found a side plate on ebay with the bearing cup design and the guy refunded enough to cover the cost of the side plate so now the reel is stronger than before.

spize909

so my Penn 505 has a bearing cup......if I am remembering it right.
The 500's would have a cup...........but for a bushing, not a bearing.?

Newell Nut

What does Penn have to do with this thread? Don't confuse yourself.

Tunacious

Bearing Cups - Newell Blackie, P, G, No Letter and Late Model S series

Bearing Caps - Newell C and early S series (typically replaces the plastic caps)

spize909

so my analogy to the Penn reels was incorrect?

spize909

I was testing out the drag on this reel today and with greased HT100's (3+1) I was out barely 10lbs buttoned down tight. What gives? I expected more and want to fish 40 on this reel.
Can I go to a 5+1 with the stock gear?

maxpowers

Quote from: spize909 on June 18, 2014, 03:29:21 AM
I was testing out the drag on this reel today and with greased HT100's (3+1) I was out barely 10lbs buttoned down tight. What gives? I expected more and want to fish 40 on this reel.

with the thinner ht -100s sometime you have to double up on the drag washer due to the keyed slots in the gear.

spize909

Quote from: maxpowers on June 18, 2014, 03:24:35 PM

with the thinner ht -100s sometime you have to double up on the drag washer due to the keyed slots in the gear.

Which washer (s)? the bottom one?
I have the stock gear if that matters.

edit: just thought of something. Should I still have the stock washer on top of the gear sleeve, even though I added the drag washer there (under the gear)?

maxpowers

the first ht 100 and the metal washer may not have created enough height so that when you placed the second ht -100 and the keyed metal washer it may have bottomed out before there was enough pressure on the stack.  You may have to double up the HT-100s on the that goes into the gear.  Once you get the 5+1 stack you still have to have a thick drag washer on the first part of the stack.  Try doubling the drag washer and see if you get an improvement.

Newell Nut

All of my 300 series Newells get over 30 lb of drag with the 5+1 stack. My P 300s get a little more since they are a true 6 stack.

Only in my 631s have I used .6mm CFs for spacing issues as mentioned in the previous post. I use 3 of the .6mm in the bottom of the stack and 4 .5mmcfs and topped with a stock heavy washer. This way the gear is perfectly stacked with 7cfs and 7 ss washers. No idea what the max drag is but I can lift 40 lb dumbbells with all of my 500 and 600 series reels.

When you are buttoned down your star may be against the side plate. If so you need an extra 3-18 washer between the drag spacer and the star to solve your problems. Each reel will need a different number of 3-18s. Keta made me a bunch of custom 3-18s in different thicknesses just for these spacing issues.

Tunacious

Let me see if I understand your dilemna. You've got 3 stock thickness HT-100's inside the main gear and one underneath the main...all are greased. Is this correct? Check to insure you have the ss/cf washers in the correct order. From the bottom of the inside main working up it should be:

cf
ss keyed
cf
ss eared
cf
ss keyed
ss belville (preferably Penn)
drag stack

On top of the drag stack, you'll need to experiment with washers. You'll need 1-3 thin washers..each reel can be different. You don't want to put on so many that you're unable to back off on the star sufficiently. It's easy trial and error. There are a few different washers I use on top of the drag stack. I prefer the thin flat washers and wavy washers. Whatever you do, DON'T use the thin Newell belville. They're notorious for splitting. I found this out many moons ago when I was on a yt. The thick belville is fine but not the thin one.

Not sure how many #'s you'll get with this setup since I only have the original 4 stack and now 6 stack on some of them. I may have gotten 12-14 lbs on the 4 stack using HT-100's...not sure. All 200/300/400 size reels all use the same drag system and weren't designed to go above  14#'s or so. They're all 30# reels. If you can get 14#'s of drag, you'll be border line fine w/40#.

I only got the 6 drag system so I won't have to max out the drag like I use to much of the time...no other reason. It will be nice and smooth with plenty of drag to spare.

If you want to use spectra with heavier mono (above 40), I'd suggest getting the Tib frames. Remember, the Newells are multi-piece frames and therefore subject to more frame flexing. The Tib frames should be more secure. The spool spindles....not sure how much more drag they'd be able to take above their design.