Upgrading Newell 332

Started by spize909, May 24, 2014, 02:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spize909

I am 99% sure everything is in there correctly and that the star is not bottoming on the frame.
I'm gonna go check though. I'm guessing that adding washers does nothing unless the star is bottoming out.

Quote from: Tunacious on June 18, 2014, 08:58:50 PM
Let me see if I understand your dilemna. You've got 3 stock thickness HT-100's inside the main gear and one underneath the main...all are greased. Is this correct? Check to insure you have the ss/cf washers in the correct order. From the bottom of the inside main working up it should be:

cf
ss keyed
cf
ss eared
cf
ss keyed
ss belville (preferably Penn)
drag stack

On top of the drag stack, you'll need to experiment with washers. You'll need 1-3 thin washers..each reel can be different. You don't want to put on so many that you're unable to back off on the star sufficiently. It's easy trial and error. There are a few different washers I use on top of the drag stack. I prefer the thin flat washers and wavy washers. Whatever you do, DON'T use the thin Newell belville. They're notorious for splitting. I found this out many moons ago when I was on a yt. The thick belville is fine but not the thin one.

Not sure how many #'s you'll get with this setup since I only have the original 4 stack and now 6 stack on some of them. I may have gotten 12-14 lbs on the 4 stack using HT-100's...not sure. All 200/300/400 size reels all use the same drag system and weren't designed to go above  14#'s or so. They're all 30# reels. If you can get 14#'s of drag, you'll be border line fine w/40#.

I only got the 6 drag system so I won't have to max out the drag like I use to much of the time...no other reason. It will be nice and smooth with plenty of drag to spare.

If you want to use spectra with heavier mono (above 40), I'd suggest getting the Tib frames. Remember, the Newells are multi-piece frames and therefore subject to more frame flexing. The Tib frames should be more secure. The spool spindles....not sure how much more drag they'd be able to take above their design.

Quote from: spize909 on June 18, 2014, 03:29:21 AM
I was testing out the drag on this reel today and with greased HT100's (3+1) I was out barely 10lbs buttoned down tight. What gives? I expected more and want to fish 40 on this reel.
Can I go to a 5+1 with the stock gear?

bluefish69

I had a P 229 the other day where the Star Bottomed on the Bearing Cup. Added 1 Spacer & problem solved.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

spize909

Doesn't seem to bottom on anything. I took it apart and had a look. Everything in place. I added a thin bellville washer (all I had) and predictably it didn't change anything.
I did have a thought and looked around a little. I just bought some new Cal's grease. I had an itty bitty container that I ran out of after a couple years.

I bought the purple stuff for some reason. Could that be a factor? Seems to me grease on the drags is grease on the drags (if it's the right kind). Now after a bunch of hard runs by a fish, I don't know but just pulling on it to check the drag seems like it wouldn't matter.

bluefish69

I just wish that I had the reel here in N Y

Mike

Tunacious

Actually, adding washers on top of the drag stack is part of the design. By building up the stack you're increasing the amount of potential drag.
My offer still stands. Also, it's been awhile since I used Cals grease but if it's grease meant for drag washers then you're fine.

Quote from: spize909 on June 20, 2014, 12:28:28 AM
I am 99% sure everything is in there correctly and that the star is not bottoming on the frame.
I'm gonna go check though. I'm guessing that adding washers does nothing unless the star is bottoming out.

Quote from: Tunacious on June 18, 2014, 08:58:50 PM
Let me see if I understand your dilemna. You've got 3 stock thickness HT-100's inside the main gear and one underneath the main...all are greased. Is this correct? Check to insure you have the ss/cf washers in the correct order. From the bottom of the inside main working up it should be:

cf
ss keyed
cf
ss eared
cf
ss keyed
ss belville (preferably Penn)
drag stack

On top of the drag stack, you'll need to experiment with washers. You'll need 1-3 thin washers..each reel can be different. You don't want to put on so many that you're unable to back off on the star sufficiently. It's easy trial and error. There are a few different washers I use on top of the drag stack. I prefer the thin flat washers and wavy washers. Whatever you do, DON'T use the thin Newell belville. They're notorious for splitting. I found this out many moons ago when I was on a yt. The thick belville is fine but not the thin one.

Not sure how many #'s you'll get with this setup since I only have the original 4 stack and now 6 stack on some of them. I may have gotten 12-14 lbs on the 4 stack using HT-100's...not sure. All 200/300/400 size reels all use the same drag system and weren't designed to go above  14#'s or so. They're all 30# reels. If you can get 14#'s of drag, you'll be border line fine w/40#.

I only got the 6 drag system so I won't have to max out the drag like I use to much of the time...no other reason. It will be nice and smooth with plenty of drag to spare.

If you want to use spectra with heavier mono (above 40), I'd suggest getting the Tib frames. Remember, the Newells are multi-piece frames and therefore subject to more frame flexing. The Tib frames should be more secure. The spool spindles....not sure how much more drag they'd be able to take above their design.

I was testing out the drag on this reel today and with greased HT100's (3+1) I was out barely 10lbs buttoned down tight. What gives? I expected more and want to fish 40 on this reel.

Newell Nut

Send me the reel and I can fix it for you. No not any grease works. Cals drag grease is for drags.

bluefish69

NN

So far this person has 3 offers to fix his reel. I'm not that lucky, I do it my self.

Mike

Newell Nut

Don't want to spoil your fun Mike. I know you love tinkering. ;D

bluefish69

Nothing else to do but tinker & Baby Sit

spize909

Well thanks for the offers, I think I am capable with some guidance.
The Cal's purple grease is for drags, it's just a lighter grease at least that's what I am finding now. I ordered it because it said it was for carbon drags and ht-100s are carbon........right?
I put into about 4 reels (both 332's a 220, a 505 and a 4/0) make that 5 reels. Damn.

I'm gonna try a couple of the others I guess. What does a stock 4/0 with HT-100s get for drag?

I started with a digital Rapala scale, was unsure of that and went to lifting a 10lb dumbell. My little Okuma 5nll and my new Fathom 25n had no issues with it.

bluefish69

You got it. Your on your own.

spize909

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 21, 2014, 03:53:22 AM
You got it. Your on your own.
wasn't trying to get anybodys panties in a wad. There are only so many parts to these things and like I said, I can do the work, just need to find some answers.

Newell Nut

The Cals Purple is thinner and for cold climates. I see you are in CA which does not qualify as a cold climate. In two years I have never seen anything used on this site but Cals Tan. So why don't you just pay attention?  People can't help if you can't pay attention. Good Luck.

Alto Mare

For washers configuration you have many options, you could go with a 3+1 - 5+1 - 7+1 or 9+1.
The 9+1 is actually a 5+1, but the washers are hex cut and installed in one of Lee's insert, these will give you 9 working surface.
A stock 4/0 should put out appro. 20lbs, using Bryan's 7+1 kit you will increase the numbers and have smoother drags.
If you're leaning towards cutting your own washers, you could get around 30lbs.
If you're only getting 10lbs, your star is probably hitting bottom, you'll probably need more washers. Make sure the tension springs are in place.
Look around some more there is a ton of information on the 4/0.... good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spize909

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 21, 2014, 11:10:51 AM
The Cals Purple is thinner and for cold climates. I see you are in CA which does not qualify as a cold climate. In two years I have never seen anything used on this site but Cals Tan. So why don't you just pay attention?  People can't help if you can't pay attention. Good Luck.

Hmmmm, ok then. I thought I was paying attention. Yes I now know that it is a thinner grease designed to be used in colder climates and I screwed up by not sticking with the tan (that I had just run out of). I read the description on ebay to say that it was for carbon drags and it said nothing about climate.
I don't want to send my reel to somebody that I don't know and I have a 2 day in 5 days to get on so I just need to try to figure this out. Sorry if I offended anybody it was not my intention.