Upgrading Newell 332

Started by spize909, May 24, 2014, 02:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spize909

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 21, 2014, 12:01:52 PM
Quote from: spize909 on June 18, 2014, 03:29:21 AM
I was testing out the drag on this reel today and with greased HT100's (3+1) I was out barely 10lbs buttoned down tight. What gives? I expected more and want to fish 40 on this reel.
Can I go to a 5+1 with the stock gear?
For washers configuration you have many options, you could go with a 3+1 - 5+1 - 7+1 or 9+1.
The 9+1 is actually a 5+1, but the washers are hex cut and installed in one of Lee's insert, these will give you 9 working surface.
A stock 4/0 should put out appro. 20lbs, using Bryan's 7+1 kit you will increase the numbers and have smoother drags.
If you're leaning towards cutting your own washers, you could get around 30lbs.
If you're only getting 10lbs, your star is probably hitting bottom, you'll probably need more washers. Make sure the tension springs are in place.
Look around some more there is a ton of information on the 4/0.... good luck!

Thanks Alto.
I really am trying to pay attention here.
Just to be clear with the stock parts, I can only do a 3 stack drag, correct? All the searching I have done has led me to believe that.
Also, what do you think on the purple grease? Here is my uneducated guess. It is thinner. It is the same material though. I may have to re-grease my drags more often. Where I actually use it on gears, anti corrosion etc, it will apply a nice thinner coat.

Newell Nut

This is from Dawn's smoothdrag.com

The first description is next to the Tan and the bottom description is next to the purple. Did you go to Dawn's site and look at this stuff?

Cal's Universal Reel and Drag Grease:
Introducing a newly formulated grease specifically for fishing reels, this is the only grease you will ever need again! Maximum corrosion protection, fortified with teflon and polymers. Superior heat and wear resistance. Safe for all metals and common plastics. Reduces gear train friction for easier cranking. Use anywhere grease is applicable in any reel.

•Cal's lighter grade reel grease, excellent in colder climates or when a lighter grease is desired.

Tunacious

Looking at the description given by Smoooth Drag, you should probably be fine for your upcoming 2 day, though I would put on the tan grease when you can, especially all the ss parts of the innards. I haven't used it for so long I forgot what color Cal's was! You can also use Shimano drag grease...this is what I've been using for the last x amount of years. My shop seems to be out of Cal's whenever I've needed some so I just pick up the Shimano grease...it's the same thing.

Yes, unless you have an original blackie, original P or very early G series, then the stock Newell drags for inside the main gear has always been 3 for the 2/3/4 series. Before I converted my original P's to Bryan's 5+1 carbontex system, I used 3 HT100's inside the main gear and one underneath. I've gone from a true 4 drag to a true 6 drag system. I've never used a scale to measure how much drag I could get from either system. I did, however, use a 25 lb. dumbell to see if I could lift it with the 6 drag system..I could, without being maxed out on the star. Mission accomplished! NN has conducted tests and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong NN) he got 32 lbs of drag.

With the proper stack installed on your 332 and using 3+1 HT's rather than stock Newell drags, you may get 12-14 lbs max out of your reel using the 3 stack system. Again, I've never measured scientifically. I DO know that these series reels are still 30# (mono) reels. You could put 100 # mono on your 332 and you'd still be getting enough drag for only 30# mono...using the stock 3-drag system. So, yes you can put 40# on your 332 for your upcoming trip...just remember that when you need more drag you're going to have to use your thumb or hand, especially when you're straight up and down on the fish. I'm sure Carl had to do that when using 60/80# mono on his P447 when he got his 224 lb. yft!

Good luck on your 2 day! Hope you guys run into Big Moe and his bluefin brethren! :)

Quote from: spize909 on June 21, 2014, 12:52:39 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on June 21, 2014, 11:10:51 AM
The Cals Purple is thinner and for cold climates. I see you are in CA which does not qualify as a cold climate. In two years I have never seen anything used on this site but Cals Tan. So why don't you just pay attention?  People can't help if you can't pay attention. Good Luck.

Hmmmm, ok then. I thought I was paying attention. Yes I now know that it is a thinner grease designed to be used in colder climates and I screwed up by not sticking with the tan (that I had just run out of). I read the description on ebay to say that it was for carbon drags and it said nothing about climate.
I don't want to send my reel to somebody that I don't know and I have a 2 day in 5 days to get on so I just need to try to figure this out. Sorry if I offended anybody it was not my intention.

spize909

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 21, 2014, 01:05:32 PM
This is from Dawn's smoothdrag.com

The first description is next to the Tan and the bottom description is next to the purple. Did you go to Dawn's site and look at this stuff?

Cal's Universal Reel and Drag Grease:
Introducing a newly formulated grease specifically for fishing reels, this is the only grease you will ever need again! Maximum corrosion protection, fortified with teflon and polymers. Superior heat and wear resistance. Safe for all metals and common plastics. Reduces gear train friction for easier cranking. Use anywhere grease is applicable in any reel.

•Cal's lighter grade reel grease, excellent in colder climates or when a lighter grease is desired.

Yeah, after I bought it, put it in and then did a google search on it and saw the description you quoted. The description when I bought it said nothing about climate. (I think I already said this).
The simple question now is, will it work or not? I've never lost a fish due to equipment malfunction (almost last year due to a 505 gear sleeve) and I don't want to start now.
I am chitcanning the idea of fishing 40 on this reel and will put 30 back on as the top shot (over 50lb PP).

spize909

Quote from: Tunacious on June 21, 2014, 02:25:29 PM
Looking at the description given by Smoooth Drag, you should probably be fine for your upcoming 2 day, though I would put on the tan grease when you can, especially all the ss parts of the innards. I haven't used it for so long I forgot what color Cal's was! You can also use Shimano drag grease...this is what I've been using for the last x amount of years. My shop seems to be out of Cal's whenever I've needed some so I just pick up the Shimano grease...it's the same thing.

Yes, unless you have an original blackie, original P or very early G series, then the stock Newell drags for inside the main gear has always been 3 for the 2/3/4 series. Before I converted my original P's to Bryan's 5+1 carbontex system, I used 3 HT100's inside the main gear and one underneath. I've gone from a true 4 drag to a true 6 drag system. I've never used a scale to measure how much drag I could get from either system. I did, however, use a 25 lb. dumbell to see if I could lift it with the 6 drag system..I could, without being maxed out on the star. Mission accomplished! NN has conducted tests and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong NN) he got 32 lbs of drag.

With the proper stack installed on your 332 and using 3+1 HT's rather than stock Newell drags, you may get 12-14 lbs max out of your reel using the 3 stack system. Again, I've never measured scientifically. I DO know that these series reels are still 30# (mono) reels. You could put 100 # mono on your 332 and you'd still be getting enough drag for only 30# mono...using the stock 3-drag system. So, yes you can put 40# on your 332 for your upcoming trip...just remember that when you need more drag you're going to have to use your thumb or hand, especially when you're straight up and down on the fish. I'm sure Carl had to do that when using 60/80# mono on his P447 when he got his 224 lb. yft!

Good luck on your 2 day! Hope you guys run into Big Moe and his bluefin brethren! :)

Thanks, we hope to kill a few. I'm ok without big Moe. Medium Moe would be fine....or a bunch of yellowfin and a sprinkling of yellowtail that are over 6 lbs...

Newell Nut

32 lb of drag in the 332 is easy to get with Bryan's mods. We use 40 lb mono and I just built one for our captain and he is slaying the mangos with it and Wed he got a 30 lb red snapper with it.  We get great performance from our 300 series newells.

Those original 4 stacks converted to 6 stacks are as good as it gets.

42 lb of drag with the 500 series and I do not know the max on my 631s but it is a bunch.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 21, 2014, 04:15:10 PM
32 lb of drag in the 332 is easy to get with Bryan's mods. We use 40 lb mono and I just built one for our captain and he is slaying the mangos with it and Wed he got a 30 lb red snapper with it.  We get great performance from our 300 series newells.

42 lb of drag with the 500 series and I do not know the max on my 631s but it is a bunch.

Sorry buddy, I thought spize was talking about the senators, newell's are your territory ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spize909

What is the part number for the spacer washers? I have found 3-18 but when searched it's not coming up.
Thanks

Newell Nut

3-18 is the correct number. KETA makes them if you need any.

spize909

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 22, 2014, 05:59:27 PM
3-18 is the correct number. KETA makes them if you need any.
Thanks, I will contact him but after searching around a little more.......I see 3-318?

Newell Nut

3-18 from schematics and it fits all Newells.

Newell Nut

I have to change my stated drag for the maxed out 332. One of my buddies here asked me to max out his P332 and it was a newer one with the 3 stack system. I removed his sleeve and installed my custom sleeve with a .5mm SS washer attached to the sprocket. I showed pics in another tutorial. I then added the .5mm CF under the gear and then of course added the gear and put a 5 stack system in the gear from Bryan. I have never tested my 6 stack so I did this morning. Snatched a 20 lb dumbbell up easily with lots of star left. I then put about 20 yds of 60 mono on the reel for the drag test since it only had 30 on the spool. Tightened the star and got 32. STill had some left so I tightened a little more and the drag would actually slip at 36 lb on the scale which surprised me so I checked the star and there was a tad left. I did not pull again since 36 is more than anyone needs on a 332 anyway but it slipped smoothly at that setting with no failures on the rest of the reel.

spize909

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 23, 2014, 12:42:05 PM

I have to change my stated drag for the maxed out 332. One of my buddies here asked me to max out his P332 and it was a newer one with the 3 stack system. I removed his sleeve and installed my custom sleeve with a .5mm SS washer attached to the sprocket. I showed pics in another tutorial. I then added the .5mm CF under the gear and then of course added the gear and put a 5 stack system in the gear from Bryan. I have never tested my 6 stack so I did this morning. Snatched a 20 lb dumbbell up easily with lots of star left. I then put about 20 yds of 60 mono on the reel for the drag test since it only had 30 on the spool. Tightened the star and got 32. STill had some left so I tightened a little more and the drag would actually slip at 36 lb on the scale which surprised me so I checked the star and there was a tad left. I did not pull again since 36 is more than anyone needs on a 332 anyway but it slipped smoothly at that setting with no failures on the rest of the reel.

Seems rather excessive ;D  Is that with a stock frame?

Maxpowers is sending me a 5 stack to try out and I pm'd Keta for some washers as well as ordered the thicker belleville so I can play around with it some.
I will be more than happy to have a smooth 20lbs so I can fish it at 9-15 or so.
Funny thing about this is that until I got my little lever drag Andros I had pretty much just set me drags by feel. I knew I was always on the light side but never realized how much. I bet I've been fishing 30 at 6 or 7 lbs all these years. Deckhands always say I'm good.......

Newell Nut