Omoto 12 Triple Series

Started by Alto Mare, May 28, 2014, 01:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Quote from: OldSchool on June 02, 2014, 06:59:46 AM
So close its not funny for a fraction of the price

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PELAGIC-OMOTO-S-12-II-LEVER-DRAG-BIG-GAME-FISHING-REEL-/390850422532?pt=AU_FishingReels&hash=item5b00802704&_uhb=1

It is not funny at all. That reel is not a Triple. That is a Poseidon S-12II. You need to look little bit closer.

OldSchool

Quote from: Black Pearl on June 02, 2014, 10:13:55 AM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PELAGIC-OMOTO-S-12-II-LEVER-DRAG-BIG-GAME-FISHING-REEL-/390850422532?pt=AU_FishingReels&hash=item5b00802704&_uhb=1

It is not funny at all. That reel is not a Triple. That is a Poseidon S-12II. You need to look little bit closer.

When I say "close" i didn't mean it was the same otherwise i would have said it was the same, point being its similar and for the 71 bucks as apposed to the hundreds more for the triple was the point since these reels have some serious drag capacity to offer as well.

Black Pearl

Quote from: OldSchool on June 03, 2014, 02:32:17 PM
Quote from: Black Pearl on June 02, 2014, 10:13:55 AM

When I say "close" i didn't mean it was the same otherwise i would have said it was the same, point being its similar and for the 71 bucks as apposed to the hundreds more for the triple was the point since these reels have some serious drag capacity to offer as well.

I totally understood what you meant. About that AU Ebay seller, it appears that OMOTO has stopped selling to that Ebay company (Monster Fishing) as the beginning on this year. Therefore, that company is selling all the remaining stocks it has. I believe that it took OMOTO a long time to learn that lesson on price dumping. The OMOTO VS, Poseidon (Not 80 size), Zorro, Severo and Chief series are very good reel (not other models). If you can get those models really cheap, I will recommend to do so....

OldSchool

[/quote]
I totally understood what you meant. About that AU Ebay seller, it appears that OMOTO has stopped selling to that Ebay company (Monster Fishing) as the beginning on this year. Therefore, that company is selling all the remaining stocks it has. I believe that it took OMOTO a long time to learn that lesson on price dumping. The OMOTO VS, Poseidon (Not 80 size), Zorro, Severo and Chief series are very good reel (not other models). If you can get those models really cheap, I will recommend to do so....
[/quote]

Yes I own the VS and chief and value for money. I think any reel maker wanting to establish themselves as serious contenders need to stay off eBay. Really though if you have a $20 reel and sell it on ebay then its generally viewed as junk, but if you inject another $200 bucks of marketing into that $20 reel then its a $400.00 dynamo you have to own. Its all in the marketing.

Alto Mare

I did not compare this reel to any other reels, I simply wanted to see what it could do for myself.
Try moving a wagon loaded with 350lbs by hands, it isn't easy.
This little reel did it with no problems, the drags were smooth all the way, my tests are listed here, anyone could double check for themselves.
I believe this is a great reel for the money.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I will be doing some on the water testing of one on the LR trip.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

If I'm looking for a reel to move a wagon well I guess thats a good one to look at. I use my reels for fishing and many factors come into play as we all know when fishing and time will tell if they are good reels or not. Let me say I know very little about Omoto reels so I'm not trying to bash them or say they are good. I know Omoto has made knock off's of other manufactures reels, price dumped and other practices I'm not behind so it will take a whole lot for me to look at them seriously.

Alto Mare

Yes you're right, the reel will need to be fished on the water. I stated on other posts that these tests that I've been doing might seem silly for some, but interesting for others, you have every rights for your opinion.
I've been fishing for over 40 years and understand a little about what I'm looking for, if a reel is able to take that kind of punishment, I would definitely give it a shot on the water.
Please don't misunderstand what I'm doing here, I'm not selling anyone this reel and I don't have anything to do with Omoto.
I told Alan Chui if the reel fails, I will post that it did, he understood and said for me to go for it.
Worthless or not, I'm just trying to give my honest opinion based on my experience.
On another note, reel manufacturers have been copying each other for as far as I can remember, most reels look the same on the inside, but this isn't what this is all about, I simply asked if I could take a look at the Triple Series and here it is.
Time will tell...
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Easy, fellas...

Everybody has his own opinion. Most Westerners don't like anything that is made in China or Taiwan. It is ok. OMOTO will need to prove to all anglers that its products stand on its own.

About tackle manufacturers are copying each other, let's put it out there that every one copies from PENN at first. On the other hand, if you open up a smaller Okuma Makaira 8, 10 or 12, and an AVET Raptor, you will see that both are almost identical inside. I have read that both companies were trying to patent the drag system function, and I don't know who got it. In this case, who copies who? Since Okuma is Taiwan based company, so most Westerners will state that Okuma is, but how do we know...

Just fish and fish hard, and keep the party going......

Keta

Taiwan is not the PRC and should not be put into the same class of manufacturing countries.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

I also received one of the Triple series reels here in the Panhandle of Florida. I own all of the other reels mentioned. Makaira 2 speed, Avet Raptor, Avet 2 speeds, and plenty of others. I also service and repair reels daily and know the internals of each of these reels very well. None of them have the drag components and anti-reverse system as the Triple reel. There is hardly any back play in the handle at all. Less than 1/4" of back play with the double dog system that as we all know will not fail.

Mine will fished as hard as it can with the intention to see just how much punishment this reel can take. There are some huge Amberjack in this part of the Gulf of Mexico along with other very tough fighters.

I will also do some drag testing on land but will try to use a fishing situation. Such as using a car or boat to pull the max drag (if I can find someone to hold that much) at fast intervals as a big fish would be doing. I believe 30 lbs. of drag when fishing would be something that would actually be used and that alone most people can't handle.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on June 04, 2014, 03:44:23 PM
I will also do some drag testing on land but will try to use a fishing situation. Such as using a car or boat to pull the max drag (if I can find someone to hold that much) at fast intervals as a big fish would be doing. I believe 30 lbs. of drag when fishing would be something that would actually be used and that alone most people can't handle.

Keith
Yeah, keep in mind once the fish takes the line, eventually you will need to try to bring it back in ;).
That's when the gears really get a workout, not just the drag.

Shark Hunter

I am happy with just my Senators. You just keep doing what your doing Sal. ;)
Sure your methods are Unorthodox, but it definitely gets the point across buddy! ;)
Life is Good!

Black Pearl

Oh yeah,

I just got in few left hand reels in regular or narrow spool model.