JX Raptor magic cast / need more free spool

Started by steve w, May 29, 2014, 02:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve w

Hey guys,

Just serviced my new JX Raptor, greased drags, cleaned and reel-x'ed the spool bearing.  Free spool is maybe 10 seconds.  All 7 of my other avet's get at least 1 minute of free spool.

Thinking the magnet for the magic cast maybe the problem, is there a way to remove it ?  Seems like it would be a fairly destructive process to remove the magnet.

Is there anything else I might be missing  ?

Going on a 2.5er out of SD June 6th to chase the early BFT and would really like to have this resolved.

Thanks in advance

Best.

Steve w

jaypeegee

Hi

my Avet MXLMC free spools for ~10 seconds

Remove the magnets

Freespools for a decade

Try it with yours and see if the same behaviour exists

Are your other Avets MC or regular?

alantani

it's likely you are getting all you can get with the magnet in place.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steve w

Alan / Jaypeegee:

Thanks for the responses, this is my only MC Avet.

Is there a clean way to remove magnet without damage ? or just get after it ?  my fear is if I remove the magnet the adjustment knob will fall off since it is clearly connected to the magnet leaving a hole.  Can anyone chime in here that has removed an MC magnet successfully while leaving the  adjustment knob on ?

THX

Steve w 

alantani

i removed one quite a while back.  been so long i can't remember.  it wasn't that hard, though. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

I have not removed one but have seen a few that have been removed. Some use silicone and I saw some sort of rubber plugs to close the hole in the side plate. Neither looked very good and I don't have any idea how they held up.

Try putting line on the reel if it does not have any already and then try casting it with the approximate weight of the bait or lures you will use and see if it casts well enough without removing the MC. It works well for some once they do this with the MC backed all the way off.

I own 3 Avets and not one with MC just because of its freespool issue. I'd also pick up a Raptor or 3 but then again I cant get one without MC. I think Avet is missing the boat with forcing people to have MC on the Raptors and have talked to them about this. Their answer was with all the different sizes, colors, Raptor vs regular their part inventory was very high and they didn't want to expand it. It's too bad because myself and others I know won't buy Raptors because of the MC.....or they need to redesign the MC to be fully off on the lowest setting.

Jeri

Hi Steve,

We use Avet here in Namibia for our surf casting, and to great effect with the original 'non-MC' versions; however they are a little too wild in the free spool department, so we saw the 'MC' versions as a saviour to the 'wild' aspect.

When they arrived the magnetic influence was too much, and suffered the same problem as you. We have modified several of the 'MC' now by reducing the magnetic influence – though reducing the proximity of the magnet face to the spool.

Strip down the reel, remove the little grub screw in the magnetic control dial, and remove the dial – remove the magnet carrier, and set aside for modification.

I am not familiar with the Raptor model, if it is the same as the LX, MXL models then the carrier is duly measured from the tip of the stalk to the magnet face. Then the carrier is dropped into a vice and with a fine flat diamond file, take 0.1mm off. The problem is getting rid of the magnetic filings as they stick to the magnet. Once clean reassemble, and test your free spool spinning time, with the dial set at '1'.

If the free spool spinning time is still too slow, then repeat above, until the desired free spool spinning time is achieved. At this point you have an Avet MC with as near 'non-MC' spinning time, but still have some magnetic control with the dial at higher settings – which can be useful when casting into the wind or other times when a little less free spool is needed. As the magnetic system on Avets works on 'polarity' rather than proximity for its control.

The other option to completely remove all the magnetic control, is to get the magnet carrier, and gently heat with a hot air gun, and soften the resin holding the magnet to the carrier, and remove the magnet completely. Then reassemble, and the control will have no effect at all, as you have removed the magnet, but preserved the appearance of the reel. This option does always allow you to refix the magnet at a later date, should it be so desired – just get the alignment line on the magnet right.

Hope that all helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

jaypeegee

I know a guy here who suggets that removing one stator assists his distance
I done this nor do I know the mechanical effect on a polarity based mag solution

Jeri: have you tried this when you were looking for more distance?

steve w

Guys,

Thanks for the responses.  Jeri, good call the magnet removes easily with heat, the MC assemble goes right back together so no issues cosmetically, didn't notice the set screw in the MC knob when I asked before, THX

Free spool is better but not even close to what I'm use to.  I'm primarily fishing live bait so my demand for free spool is really about letting a bait swim as unrestricted and naturally as possible, I've never had a reel with too much free spool, all my other Avets spin for days.

Avet still doesn't have JX Raptor schematics on their site which is disappointing for beville configuration and spacing washers/shims

Have had this reel a part at least 6 times it appears to me with double brake disc design and the heavier spring on the shaft creates a good bit of compression when re-assembling the reel.  Which makes me think tolerance would be even more critical than on the standard JX.

I run wet (greased) drags on all my Avets with great results, however the double disc brake has me thinking this may not be a good idea ?

I going to give Avet a call tomorrow and see what I can find out.

If that doesn't work out......Alan...."You've got mail ! "

Steve

Jeri

Hi Steve,

Surprised that you are not getting as much free spool as a non-magged Avet, must be something with the Raptor series, as you say, the double drag system.

On the MXL-MC that I use personally, by taking 0.15mm off the magnet face, I get as much free spool as the standard MXL. Still using standard Avet lubricant, haven't ventured down the path of higher spec oils in the bearings yet, as they are so seriously fast when we load them up with 6 or 7oz sinkers and bait. Currently getting about 1½ - 2 minutes of free spool on a freshly serviced reel.

I keep the trimmed magnet, as we occasionally need a little braking for casting into the wind.

Hi Jaypeegee,

Don't understand the 'stator' removal. With the magnet trimmed or shaved, the reel is back to full MXL standard and speed, which for distance is huge, but then we don't use the reels in the 'cast' preset point, so the reels are being used at 'total free spool'. Distance or speed is not the worry with these reels – slowing them down during the cast is the bigger issue – need slightly tougher skin on my thumb!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

steve w

The final result:

Sent the JX MC Raptor (magnet removed) to Avet requesting more free spool, bottom line less than 20 seconds, greased vs. non-greased drags made no difference.

Have to give props to Avet for great customer service and speedy turn around.

For now this reel will now be dedicated to yo-yo fishing and bigger live bait, and will not be a go to reel for live bait fishing for me.  No sardines this year anyway.

If anyone has gotten 1 minute of free spool out of JX MC Raptor (magnet removed).......I'm all ears

Thank you to all who responded !

Steve W

Bullshipper

This may be a dumb idea.

If you take the magnet assembly out and let it boil in a Stainless pan with water for 15 minutes, it will demagnetize about any magnet, not completely but probably down to 4-5 gause.

Then replacing same in the reel will avoid having a hole in the side that needs to be filled with silicone.

I don't think this can hurt, if you really object to the magnet. You'll see the difference in its magnetic strength before and after if you test it by try to lifting a steel washer, or something else you have to test with.

Like I said, it just an untested theory for now.

Spongerider

I had the same problem so I pulled the magnet out and grinded half the magnet down. I get about 18 sec of free spool on number #1 setting and 8 sec. on number 5 setting. 

;D

JGB

Here is the skinny on the Raptor series.

All raptors have Mag cast control - you can remove it if you like but it has minimal effect when casting something like a dine and works very well if distance casting iron.
The biggest issue with all the Raptors except the JX and HX is that the drag disk is free floating and can not be adjusted so it does not rub on the spool side pressure plate ( problem for right handed casting as you rotate the reel handle up gravity pulls the drag onto the pressure plate). On the JX and HX there is enough clearance to remove one shim washer (between the spool bearing and the pressure plate bearing) to allow 1 couple of thousands clearance so the drag does not rub.

Some Raptors have tight drag disks that rub on the spool slots that will hold the disk even tighter against the inner pressure plate

An experiment you can all try is to place tape or glue shims on the spool drag cutouts to  lift the drag disk just enough to prevent it from contacting the inner pressure plate ( make it like the JX or HX spool). Then using double sided tape or adhesive secure the drag disk so it does not move . This will hold drag disk just out of contact with the inner pressure plate during free spool. When drag is applied the outer pressure plate will contact first and then flex the drag disk slightly so it contacts the inter pressure plate. The caveat is the drag disk will be flexed slightly during use and you you may need to flip it once in a great while.

I have not yet tried the following but plan to some day.
For those with machine shop access drill the spool and put return springs like on the pro EX reels. Cut a groove to place a drag retaining spring ring to limit how far the drag disk can move up. Keep it small as you may loose drag range with free spool.

Enjoy the very tight lines on your Raptors,
Jim N.

jaypeegee

Quote from: Jeri on May 30, 2014, 07:42:51 AM

I keep the trimmed magnet, as we occasionally need a little braking for casting into the wind.

Hi Jaypeegee,

Don't understand the 'stator' removal. With the magnet trimmed or shaved, the reel is back to full MXL standard and speed, which for distance is huge, but then we don't use the reels in the 'cast' preset point, so the reels are being used at 'total free spool'. Distance or speed is not the worry with these reels – slowing them down during the cast is the bigger issue – need slightly tougher skin on my thumb!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Hi

TBH I don't really either.
I know that removing one is supposed to allow more freespool in the magic cast reels
What the impact is in terms of the reduction being as controllable from full or minimum I don't know - Testing it is on my to do list

Read this post here in case you understand it better than I

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/875883/has-anyone-tried-modifying-the-magnet-in-an-avet-mc-cast-reel/15

Cheers from not so sunny Wellington :-)