tyrnos problems

Started by alantani, July 22, 2010, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i'm just full of good news this week.  first the revo problem, now a problem with the shimano tyrnos.  i have photos to follow, but the last five malaysian made tyrnos reels had drag washers that were crumbling.  these were carbon fiber, but they were not woven in the same way that carbontex washers are woven. the inside diameter is 14mm, the outside diameter is 52.5mm and there are four screw holes at 19mm from center.  photos to follow. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Whiteman

No! Not my favourite reel! I wait in anticipation.

Are the washers the same size as tld20/25s?

george.s

g'day whiteman the washers are not the same as the tld's they look about the same as the talica.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1007.0

alantani

tyrnos problems - 7/25/2010

hoo, boy!  i'm just full of good news this week.  i've opened 5 of these smaller tyrnos reels in a row and found something very strange.

just what is this, you ask?

it's carbon fiber and it appears to be peeling off of the drag washer. 

it is literally being pulled off a handful at a time.

remember the soft twisted yarn that we had when we were kids in school?  yeah, that twisted stuff.  it looks like the carbon fiber is just twisted and then glued on to the fiberglass backing plate.

well, i can fix that (um, otherwise i wouldn't be posting this).  it's smoothdrag.com to the rescue.  i took a carbontex drag washer used in the shimano tld 20/25 and ground it down to fit this tyrnos.

take a look at the different drag washers.  on the left is a carbontex drag washer from smoothdrag.com.  in the middle is a stock carbon fiber drag washer used in the shimano tld 20/30 two speed.  and on the right is our tattered carbon fiber drag washer from the shimano tyrnos 16 two speed. 

note the very nice woven pattern to the carbontex drag washer.  this is never flaking off.

now the drag washer to the two speed tld.  in the 10 years that i've been fiddling with these reels, i've never had one of these drag washer melt down.  you can see the twisted "rope" of carbon fiber and how it is glued to the fiberglass backing plate.

so what in the world happened happened to the tyrnos drag?  i'm guessing they used the wrong type of adhesive, or they seriously missed a spot.

i wonder if there truely is a difference between japanese shimano reels and malaysian shimano reels. 

so i spoke to a guy named chin at shimano usa in irvine, california, and explained the situation.  he said that he had never heard of this problem before.  well, he's heard of it now.  if any of you call shimano and they say that they are unaware of this issue, have that person talk to chin.  he knows........

Bryan Young

Now that's ugly.  I'll postpone my rebuild until I check out the reel and get a replacement drag washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

naw, crank it open and take some pictures.

oh, and dawn, the inside diameter is 14 mm. the outside diameter is 52.5mm, and the four screw holes are at 19mm's.  i have shimano sending me some replacements.  i will mail one to you. 

Roger

I just can't believe a fine upstanding, multi-billion a year company like Shimano would put something in a reel like that.......

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Whiteman

Alan, what vintage are the reels?

alantani

That I do not know.  I think they're all the same........

slip tip

Holy smokes! That IS a mess! The photos of Dawn's washers clearly shows the quality of her product.

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

Bryan Young

Drag Washers in my Malaysian Tyrnos 20.  Looks like the same material.

And to make matters worse, in unscrewing the aluminum cover on the drive side, the right screw in the pic breaks off.  What the heck?  Did they glue that puppy in or over tighten it?

I wonder if Shimano will do anything???  I'm thinking, I doubt it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

bryan, that reel was new in the box, never been fished, never even been spooled.  i suspect a bad lot of drag washers for the smaller tyrnos reels.  i've never seen a problem with the tld two speeds or tiagra reels.  alan

Bryan Young

I agree.  Everyone/thing have a bad day once in a while, even great fishing reels.

I greased all metal parts, corrosion X other areas, packed the open spool bearing and now ready to load with line.

I'm just kinda bummed about the screw, but I'm sure it's not big deal.  Just surprised me when it broke right off when I was unscrewing it by hand.

conchydong

Alan, I noticed that you gave the measurements to Dawn at Smooth Drag. Are they going to manufacture some Carbontex drags for the Tyrnos series? There are some good deals on these reels now and if you can get a functional drag washer for them it sure would be nice.

Thanks,
Scott

Bryan Young

Just got word from Shimano said that they would cover the replacement.  I'm starting to like Shimano more and more.  Last reel I bought with the Shimano badge prior was a twin drag spinner when I was living in Japan (which is still my fav. spinner).

With service and commitment to quality like this, I'm going to re-think my next reel purchases.